NAD question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : NAD question

chax
04-30-2004, 07:40 AM
This is hoping some NAD guru can help.
Is the NAD T773 av reciever's front channels identical to the C372 stereo amp? Is the sound the same? From the specs, looks likely. The reason I ask is, will I lose out on quality by using the 773 as my main stereo amp as well?

Incidentally, I have posted this 4 times on the NAD site, nada. Hope someone can help.

Thanx

kelsci
04-30-2004, 10:56 AM
This is hoping some NAD guru can help.
Is the NAD T773 av reciever's front channels identical to the C372 stereo amp? Is the sound the same? From the specs, looks likely. The reason I ask is, will I lose out on quality by using the 773 as my main stereo amp as well?

Incidentally, I have posted this 4 times on the NAD site, nada. Hope someone can help.

Thanx

Chax; The only person who could tell you this would be one who posessed the C372 and the T773 at the same time. I suggest that you audition the T773 and when you do so, take some CDs along and listen to the unit in stereo mode. If it sounds good in stereo to you at least similar to what you have listened to in stereo only receivers or amps, you will most likely be satisfied enough with its stereo performance. It really is up to you to evaluate and decide the stereo performance of the T773. Some HT receivers are not so hot for stereo reproduction. My brother previously owned the Yamaha 2095 which IMHO the stereo performance was fine. His current Marantz 5400 also appears to have fine stereo performance. Both seemed to be compatible to their home theater performance. I have a JVC 718 DPL receiver whose stereo performance stinks because of the sound quality that it has in stereo but sounds fine in home theater. This kind of phenomenon is what you should be looking for in your testing of the T773. So you will be listening for audio consistency between the two modes besides stereo imaging.

NickWH
04-30-2004, 11:20 AM
I'm not a NAD expert, but I can say with some confidence that it is highly unlikely that the amplifier sections are the same. The specifications might be identical, but I find it hard to believe that the power supplies are the same size (or same size per channel). What this translates to, is that the NAD house sound might be the same, but the integrated will be able to drive more challenging speaker loads, with more authority at a higher volume level. This may or may not have an effect on your decision.