Things you cannot do online (usually)... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Things you cannot do online (usually)...

sjtm
08-21-2016, 08:21 AM
When I first started buying vinyl last year, I frequented a nearby chain store (Newbury Comics). The sales help consisted of the typical tattoo'd and pierced millenials (generally all very nice people and accepting of a 60 something intruding on their hipster space). However, at least one of the managers was closer to my age and a true vinylhead. I learned he owned over 7,000 albums and was the buyer for all the used stuff. When he learned my buying interests ( I may have been the only person in the last two years to buy a Mississsippi Fred McDowell album) he told me a little secret - another store in the area regularly bought used blues albums from an older collector and they were worth the drive to check out.

He was right. I found three near mint albums, all original pressings, and two of which were promo copies that looked nearly unplayed. All three cost a total of $25:

Muddy Waters - I,m Ready. A classic from 1978 produced by Johnny Winter. Promo copy in perfect shape other than minor cover wear

Taj Mahal - Recycling the Blues and Other Related Stuff: a mix of live and studio recordings released in 1972- believe it or not, it has the Pointer Sisters singing gospel style backup. Another virtually unplayed copy. Fantastic soundstage.

JB Hutto & The Hawks - Hawk Squat: This is a green album cover that was issued on Delmark label in 1969 as a promo copy. Raw Chicago Blues. best find of the day. Bonus - rear of cover appears to be autographed by Mr. Hutto himself.

Only had an hour to hunt here, but will definitely be returning.