New home theater-Receiver advice [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New home theater-Receiver advice

Bala
04-30-2004, 07:13 AM
I'm setting up my HT system from scratch and liked the yamaha 1400 and 2400 for the features and price. When comparing both I found only a few differences. The major features seem to be available in both the models.
The things that don't matter to me much are:
wattage diff,
# of sound programs between the two

The differences I'm concerned about are:
rs232c interface,
zone 2 out mode (svideo vs auio only),
trigger outputs - what is this anyway?,
5000 difference in capasitor capacity(?),
remote control unit (multi command vs NOT)

Do these things really matter that much. I read the reviews and the literature but am little confused as to if I'll be regretting not getting the better (?) one later. Your advice is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

paul_pci
04-30-2004, 10:38 AM
I'm setting up my HT system from scratch and liked the yamaha 1400 and 2400 for the features and price. When comparing both I found only a few differences. The major features seem to be available in both the models.
The things that don't matter to me much are:
wattage diff,
# of sound programs between the two

The differences I'm concerned about are:
rs232c interface,
zone 2 out mode (svideo vs auio only),
trigger outputs - what is this anyway?,
5000 difference in capasitor capacity(?),
remote control unit (multi command vs NOT)

Do these things really matter that much. I read the reviews and the literature but am little confused as to if I'll be regretting not getting the better (?) one later. Your advice is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

You know that saying: you don't know what you're missing until you try it. Well, I think that goes for features in home theater receivers. If you're new to HT receivers you'll only have an abstract conception of what you'd like to have until you start working with a unit. It's always going to be a catch-22. As soon as you think you've decided on all the must have features/specs and get everything working, you'll inevitably discover features you really didn't need and others you now want. Of course, don't let that interfer with the overall enjoyment of rocking the house until the foundation cracks.

As far as remote controls go, definitely go with the learning remote; it makes all the difference in the world, unless you have some insatiable desire to clutch five remotes at a time.

12v triggers are used to control external devices by the same manufacturer or an added amp, for instance.

One branch of conventional wisdom says when faced with a choice, buy the unit witht he most power, which can be a consideration for future speaker upgrades, but others will say that minor differences in power don't often warrant the usual extra cost.