Einstürzende Neubauten live... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Einstürzende Neubauten live...

nobody
04-30-2004, 04:29 AM
Made a last minute run to Detroit last night to catch Einstürzende Neubauten in concert. If anyone out there has an interest in noisy industrial stuff, you MUST go see them if they come around you. It was a remarkable show. They have toned things down a bit from their older style and become much more musical, but they still have quite an edge. Just getting a good, in-person look at how they make the sounds they use is worth it if you have any interest in the band.

Instruments used included, air compressors, giant sheets of metal, a revolving melted mass of plastic jugs amplified and hit with an air gun, a transistor radio, a giant spring, lots of PVC and metal piping, Microphones tossed insode steel boxes and thrown around, a very large amplified metallic string, and more.

If you're not familiar, imagine a cross between Blue Man Group, Nine Inch Nails and the Swans.

No opening act, but like the guy who drove me over there said, "Who the hell's gonna open for that?"

Just thought I'd share.

Dusty Chalk
04-30-2004, 07:53 AM
Did you stick around and get a copy of the CD? They're doing the Pearl Jam thing and selling live recordings right after the show.

Yes, they are amazing live, and to see Blixa Bargeld pull off that ultra-high-pitched falsetto thing, completely in control, right on cue, every time, is pretty amazing as well.

I also liked their use of a survival blanket during the very pretty "Ein leichtes leises Säuseln".

nobody
04-30-2004, 08:09 AM
Figured this might interest you.

Yeah...they did the blanket thing during the encore. It was pretty cool. Where'd you see 'em?

I probably should have stayed around for the CD, but I was in a hurry to get home...had to get up for work and all that. Did you grab one?

I must say I'm not sure if I've just grown older with them or what, but I think their more musical recent material is some of the best stuff they've ever done, although the noisier parts are often amazing to see live.

tentoze
04-30-2004, 08:56 AM
Made a last minute run to Detroit last night to catch Einstürzende Neubauten in concert. If anyone out there has an interest in noisy industrial stuff, you MUST go see them if they come around you. It was a remarkable show. They have toned things down a bit from their older style and become much more musical, but they still have quite an edge. Just getting a good, in-person look at how they make the sounds they use is worth it if you have any interest in the band.

Instruments used included, air compressors, giant sheets of metal, a revolving melted mass of plastic jugs amplified and hit with an air gun, a transistor radio, a giant spring, lots of PVC and metal piping, Microphones tossed insode steel boxes and thrown around, a very large amplified metallic string, and more.

If you're not familiar, imagine a cross between Blue Man Group, Nine Inch Nails and the Swans.

No opening act, but like the guy who drove me over there said, "Who the hell's gonna open for that?"

Just thought I'd share.
My Evil Twins would be bright green with envy- Neubauten has been their favorite group for several years now- they both have the Neubauten "man" symbol (or whatever it is) tattooed on themselves, fer crissake. I can take EN in moderately small doses, particularly the later stuff.

Dusty Chalk
04-30-2004, 04:26 PM
Where'd you see 'em?I saw them opening night in Wash DC at Club 9:30. It was really well timed too -- I won the tickets the day before. Couldn't find anyone to go with on such short notice (though one person told me after the fact that I should have asked), but still went alone. They are so great live -- bordering on a religious experience.
I probably should have stayed around for the CD, but I was in a hurry to get home...had to get up for work and all that. Did you grab one?L, yeah, that's the only way to get it, or at least that was the impression I was under, and it's only the third official legal live album I've ever been on (for sure, anyway). The first two? Bauhaus, Gotham, and Crack the Sky, Recher Theatre 6-19-99. I would be on Happy the Man, State Theater, but that one never got released.
I must say I'm not sure if I've just grown older with them or what, but I think their more musical recent material is some of the best stuff they've ever done, although the noisier parts are often amazing to see live.I do enjoy their last two or three albums immensely -- my favourites of all their material.

tentoze
05-01-2004, 07:24 AM
My Evil Twins would be bright green with envy- Neubauten has been their favorite group for several years now- they both have the Neubauten "man" symbol (or whatever it is) tattooed on themselves, fer crissake. I can take EN in moderately small doses, particularly the later stuff.
Turns out the FL-based twin, Buddha Stalin, isn't envious- unbeknownst to me, he went to NYC to catch their performance last week. And wrangled a backstage pass- met Bargeld. Dunno how that boy pulls it off, but good on 'im..............