New Home System [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Home System

TLSinMI
04-29-2004, 07:00 PM
I am looking to purchase a new home theater system. This is what I have in mind:

Hitachi 57T500 Reaf Projection TV
Polk 6700 Speakers
Polk PSW404 subwoofer

and either a Denon AVR 1083 or Harmon Karden AVR 640 or Yamaha RXV 1400.

I would appreciate any feedback on these selections. I'm not an expert on this type of equipment but want to make a good longterm purchase.

Thanks,
Tim

Bryan
04-30-2004, 07:06 AM
I would replace the sub in favor of one from SVS or HSU.

SSaull
04-30-2004, 04:12 PM
I am looking to purchase a new home theater system. This is what I have in mind:

Polk 6700 Speakers
Polk PSW404 subwoofer

I would appreciate any feedback on these selections. I'm not an expert on this type of equipment but want to make a good longterm purchase.

Thanks,
Tim
Buy the Yamaha 1400 or the 750. Not the 740. 1400 and 750 both have ypao. Trust me, you won't regret your purchase if you get either one.

chuckwagon53511
05-10-2004, 05:11 PM

Polk 6700 Speakers
Polk PSW404 subwoofer

Thanks,
Tim

Hey,

I recently purchased a Hitachi 65s700. I have cable tv through time warner. I researched the hitachi for a couple of days and thought it was a good investment. I thought I was getting pretty good resolution for the price.

My picture looks real grainy. I'm almost positive it's the cable but I haven't switched to satellite yet. My DVD's look pretty awesome. But the reception of cable tv programing is not quite what I expected for the three grand the tv cost me. I'm a little disappointed in the picture quality, but I hope that satellite will fix the problem. If not, it's going back to the store for exchange.

Just FYI, hope this helps in your decision.

Not 100% sure for myself but I read somewhere that SEARS will match internet prices. Wish I would have looked into that a little deeper. Maybe...maybe not, but it doesn't hurt to try for the extra couple hundred dollars. Good Luck

SSaull
05-10-2004, 06:11 PM
If you don't yet have a high-def box, that is your problem. High def monitors upconvert the standard definition picture from non-high-def channels, and you can't get more resolution than what is in the picture from the start. Get a high def box, and you will really appreciate your new tv. I have the 51S500, and I did a lot of research, and my tv has the best picture of any crt rear projection sold in the US. If you go to Circuit City, you will find that most of the salespeople that have High-def, purchase the Hitachis. Good luck.