Opeth news & review [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Opeth news & review

Mr Peabody
08-03-2016, 09:06 AM
First, Opeth has a new album out, Sorceress, dropping 9/30. There was an article in Rolling Stone but I confess I have not read it yet so don't know much about this new release.

I wanted to hear something Prog this morning and grabbed Opeth's Heritage. I spun this a couple times when I first got it but not much since so didn't remember it. So I approached it this morning with open mind and mood for Prog. I found I enjoyed the album quite a bit. Track 3 had some Deep Purple flavor to me & track 4 definitely some Jazz Fusion influence. I also noted although Prog the changes were abrupt. Thinking back at my other Opeth albums this seems to be an Opeth thing generally, and probably one thing that took me some time to get used to in their music. I'm used to things flowing. I also want to mention track 9 which was a stand out track for me on this listen. Heritage was somewhat a new direction for Opeth, and I have to admit I didn't warm right up to this album but after today's experience Heritage moved up my chart and will be heard again sooner than later. If any of you have Heritage maybe give it another spin if you weren't instantly into it. From the opening melodic piano and soon on the journey I think you will realize like me this is still Opeth and very worth while.

Jack in Wilmington
08-03-2016, 03:40 PM
First, Opeth has a new album out, Sorceress, dropping 9/30. There was an article in Rolling Stone but I confess I have not read it yet so don't know much about this new release.

I wanted to hear something Prog this morning and grabbed Opeth's Heritage. I spun this a couple times when I first got it but not much since so didn't remember it. So I approached it this morning with open mind and mood for Prog. I found I enjoyed the album quite a bit. Track 3 had some Deep Purple flavor to me & track 4 definitely some Jazz Fusion influence. I also noted although Prog the changes were abrupt. Thinking back at my other Opeth albums this seems to be an Opeth thing generally, and probably one thing that took me some time to get used to in their music. I'm used to things flowing. I also want to mention track 9 which was a stand out track for me on this listen. Heritage was somewhat a new direction for Opeth, and I have to admit I didn't warm right up to this album but after today's experience Heritage moved up my chart and will be heard again sooner than later. If any of you have Heritage maybe give it another spin if you weren't instantly into it. From the opening melodic piano and soon on the journey I think you will realize like me this is still Opeth and very worth while.

I will spin it tonight during my evening listening session. I've been waiting to hear some tracks from the new release before I pull the trigger as Opeth can be proggy or death metal and I'm not into the latter.

Finch Platte
08-05-2016, 02:46 PM
That's been my complaint with Opeth, as well. Too many start and stop moments, it's like dealing with a loony person, music/conversation just jumping all over the place.

Saw Opeth open for Porcupine Tree way back when. They were fricking awful, in my book, but there were plenty of appreciative fans. I met Troy there (former RR poster) and we got blasted on gin & tonics, lol.

PT was amazing that night, as per usual.