New to this site [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New to this site

jpk
08-02-2016, 12:59 PM
Just came across this site last night and thought I'd join. My name is Jon. Hi all.

Feanor
08-02-2016, 04:54 PM
Welcome to AR Forums, Jon.

Mr Peabody
08-02-2016, 07:04 PM
welcome aboard

Hyfi
08-03-2016, 03:17 AM
Hi Jon

blackraven
08-03-2016, 08:03 AM
Welcome to AR! Tell us about your gear.

Larry

jpk
08-04-2016, 06:48 PM
Well.....,

My gear consists of the following:
Sony STR-GX99ES (1992) 120wpc
Sony CDP-C79ES (1992)
Technics SL1200 MkII w/Ortofon Omega Cart
JBL 4312 Control Monitors

blackraven
08-05-2016, 08:00 AM
Cool, I love the JBL's.

jpk
08-05-2016, 11:35 AM
It is a modest system but I like it. I eventually would like to get a SA-CD player to add to it. I wanted to recreate my system that I had when I could throw what ever money I wanted, ie: when I was young, but that proved to be too expensive. The gear I used to have has appreciated in price and it hard to find the gear in excellent condition. I used to have all mid 70's Pioneer gear except the speakers, they also were JBL's. I had a Pioneer SX-939 receiver, PL-55X turntable, RT-1020H reel to reel deck, H-R99 8-track player/recorder and finally a pair of JBL L100 control monitors.

blackraven
08-05-2016, 04:23 PM
I use to have a 70's pioneer receiver and loved it. I currently have a PL-55x TT in excellent condition.

Mr Peabody
08-05-2016, 05:25 PM
There is current gear that you might find makes you as happy. Cambridge Audio has a stereo receiver with phono stage and built in DAC around $599.00, Yamaha offers a stereo receiver, I'm not familiar with it but based on it's MSRP I'd hope it's pretty good. Higher end, more money but more performance, Parasound has an integrated amp with built in DAC but not sure about phono. Then Cabridge Audio and NAD offer a wide range of integrated amp at various prices. NAD gets a good report on their Class D integrated amps. Then from a company who had been around as long as Pioneer, Marantz has a line of integrated and SACD. To go with your Sony it probably wouldn't be hard to find a used SACD. John Michael has had both Marantz and Sony.

There has been a renaissance for the vintage gear and in my opinion it's selling for more than it's worth. With that being said I had a Sansui 9500 that fully impressed me, not only with it's build which would put a lot of gear today to shame but the sound was excellent. Now with, that, being said, I picked it up cheap before I realized what a piece it was. If someone was asking several hundred dollars for it I'd really have to weith the options.

BTW, how can you stand those JBL, LOL

jpk
08-06-2016, 05:04 AM
The demand for vintage gear is driving the prices up, especially for gear that is in excellent shape both electrically and cosmetically. Whether or not it is justified can be open to debate. I recall the warm sound my Pioneer had and wanted to attempt to purchase that receiver again. A SX-939 in very good condition runs around $300 to $500. Some of the "monster" Sansui's and Pioneer's go for over a thousand. Crazy. I bought my GX99ES for $150.00 and it is in like new condition with remote and owners manual. It was the TOTL Sony receiver in 1992 and cost $1300 new which I did not know when I bought it. From what I can gather, this was Sony's first year of going to 5.1 surround. I only use it in stereo mode. From what I have read, when the various manufacturers moved production from Japan to other SE Asian countries the quality began to suffer. Consequently the units that were made in Japan fetch the higher prices and the further back you go the more expensive they get.

How can you not like JBL's? ......lol

Feanor
08-06-2016, 07:51 AM
There has been a renaissance for the vintage gear and in my opinion it's selling for more than it's worth. With that being said I had a Sansui 9500 that fully impressed me, not only with it's build which would put a lot of gear today to shame but the sound was excellent. Now with, that, being said, I picked it up cheap before I realized what a piece it was. If someone was asking several hundred dollars for it I'd really have to weith the options.

I concur with Mr P: higher-end vintage stuff is over-priced these days. Low-to-medium-end vintage equipment can be very cheap but, by virtue of being OLD, you can't count of it being reliable. (The most reliable older stuff is AM/FM tuners; I have 30+ year-old Denon TU-767 that works like new.)

Which is to say the new or recent equipment is better value for those mainly interested in listening rather than collecting.

JoeE SP9
08-06-2016, 10:06 AM
How can you not like JBL's? ......lol
For me, it's quite easy to dislike them.:yikes:

You should expand your horizons.:biggrin5:

Mr Peabody
08-06-2016, 11:57 AM
JoeE, you, my man should expand your horizons. I used to have the same attitude toward JBL until hearing some of the Synthesis models. Why JBL isn't more aggressive with some of this line is beyond me. People who love Maggies though are typically biased toward any box speaker, then throw in some horns, and there you have it.... However, those who have been fortunate enough to hear JBL Synthesis or other models based on the Pro line, who love music, and it lively, are in playback bliss.
JBL has produced speakers for the masses that end up in places like Best Buy and unfortunately that's what people come to know them by. Klipsch did the same thing and now lacks the respect they once had except for those older hard core fans. Actually, Klipsch is building some of the best speakers they ever have in some of the Reference and the Paladium lines.
It's all in fun though, if you've heard the better JBL and still don't care for them, so be it. We all have our tastes. Just some better than others, LOL

jpk
08-07-2016, 04:35 AM
I bought my current pair of JBL's around 1980. Back then JBL had quite a good rep, I guess they still do. I purchased them from an actual HiFi store. At the time I also bought a Mitsubishi receiver, an R10 something or other. There actually were B&M stores that sold only HiFi equipment back then. When the big box stores came along those places went OOB because they couldn't compete and all the name manufacturers started to produce cheaper products to sell in those stores.

I am not an audiophile nor is this a hobby for me. I don't sit in a comfy chair in a dark room with a brandy and a pipe listening to an obscure symphony, (although I do like to listen to classical music). I don't try to nuance every piece of music I listen to.

I had an older Sony receiver that went TU, and I'll admit it, I bought it at Best Buy in the mid 90's. Now, I was looking for something a little higher end to replace it. Since my budget was limited I looked into getting the receiver I once had, the 939. That didn't work out but the GX99ES fit my budget and listening habits nicely. It's not so old that it could be cranky and high end enough to have better components and suit my listening habits. If one can afford to assemble a system that might be the envy of their peers, great. For what I paid I think my setup is pretty good.

JoeE SP9
08-07-2016, 10:08 AM
JoeE, you, my man should expand your horizons. I used to have the same attitude toward JBL until hearing some of the Synthesis models. Why JBL isn't more aggressive with some of this line is beyond me. People who love Maggies though are typically biased toward any box speaker, then throw in some horns, and there you have it.... However, those who have been fortunate enough to hear JBL Synthesis or other models based on the Pro line, who love music, and it lively, are in playback bliss.
JBL has produced speakers for the masses that end up in places like Best Buy and unfortunately that's what people come to know them by. Klipsch did the same thing and now lacks the respect they once had except for those older hard core fans. Actually, Klipsch is building some of the best speakers they ever have in some of the Reference and the Paladium lines.
It's all in fun though, if you've heard the better JBL and still don't care for them, so be it. We all have our tastes. Just some better than others, LOL

In 40+years with this "passion" I've never heard a JBL I like. The same applies to horns with the sole exception being Avant Garde Trios. Admittedly I've never heard the Everest DD66000. If upon hearing them I like them I won't be reticent about saying so.
I resent Your saying I have poor taste.:p
My lady friend tells me I smell like fresh baked cookies. Her actions after that would support the contention that I have a good taste.:yesnod:

JoeE SP9
08-07-2016, 10:25 AM
I bought my current pair of JBL's around 1980. Back then JBL had quite a good rep, I guess they still do. I purchased them from an actual HiFi store. At the time I also bought a Mitsubishi receiver, an R10 something or other. There actually were B&M stores that sold only HiFi equipment back then. When the big box stores came along those places went OOB because they couldn't compete and all the name manufacturers started to produce cheaper products to sell in those stores.

I am not an audiophile nor is this a hobby for me. I don't sit in a comfy chair in a dark room with a brandy and a pipe listening to an obscure symphony, (although I do like to listen to classical music). I don't try to nuance every piece of music I listen to.

I had an older Sony receiver that went TU, and I'll admit it, I bought it at Best Buy in the mid 90's. Now, I was looking for something a little higher end to replace it. Since my budget was limited I looked into getting the receiver I once had, the 939. That didn't work out but the GX99ES fit my budget and listening habits nicely. It's not so old that it could be cranky and high end enough to have better components and suit my listening habits. If one can afford to assemble a system that might be the envy of their peers, great. For what I paid I think my setup is pretty good.

No offence intended or taken. I just thought you should know that there are people who are not fond of JBL's. I'm not all that fond of Klipsch either.

topspeed
08-09-2016, 04:13 PM
Welcome to AR!

I'm a proponent of newer isn't always better, so I applaud your "vintage" ('90's is vintage? Jeez, are we that old?!?) gear and, more importantly, the obvious enjoyment you garner from it. In fact, I'm thoroughly enjoying Porcupine Tree from my nearly 50yr old Marantz 2230b as I type this.

Great group of enthusiasts on this site, hope to see you contributing.