Marantz BD8003 blu ray player [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Marantz BD8003 blu ray player

sjtm
07-30-2016, 07:22 AM
A friend offered to sell me this player for $150. I keep seeing some interest in both the sonic and video quality of certain blu ray discs but i have not put any effort in building a home theater or multi channel system. My only interest would be to complement my 2 channel system ( i do have a flat screen between my speakers so could watch the video aspect of blu ray).

I know very little about home theater. I have two Onkyo 5.1 receivers and in wal / in ceiling speakers I installed several years ago as part of a home renovation project, but neither my kids or i have watched a dvd in years. Too lazy when so much is on demand.

Does blu ray have a place in my 2 channel sysrem. Is the bd8002 an obsolete player ( it was $2000 when new in 2008)? Are there enough blu ray titles with true sonic superiority to be worth it? I already have a nice SACD player so not looking to replace this with multi disc player.

blackraven
07-30-2016, 03:01 PM
Here is a review that might help-

Marantz BD8002 review | What Hi-Fi? (http://www.whathifi.com/marantz/bd8002/review)

Blu Ray audio has not taken off. Probably due to Hi Rez digital music and the resurgence of vinyl

Mr Peabody
07-30-2016, 06:57 PM
Most of the Blu music is multichannel but I'm sure there's a stereo track. Blu ray music is a nitch but titles keep appearing. $150.00 is a pretty good deal but it you don't need it then why bother. I bought my BD7003 new and it continues to do a good job. Of course, it doesn't get heavy use these days but it has over the years. It's slow and lacks many features of todays units but I like it and hate to replace it. It's only used for movie playback, I have a couple concert BD's but not in heavy rotation. Blu looks good though. Also, keep in mind $150.00 would buy you a Sony with Wyfi, probably as good video playback, several times faster and have built in aps for Netflix etc.

Mr Peabody
07-30-2016, 07:00 PM
Actually I should have said a Sony for less than $150.00.

sjtm
07-31-2016, 07:07 AM
Guess I will pass on this