Software [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Software

Mr Peabody
07-23-2016, 08:19 PM
As long as I've known a particular friend he has always had his music on hard drive. He seems to be constantly changing and upgrading things in his system. I was over there today and he had switched from JRiver to Roon. He also had HQ loaded on. So we listen to a couple tracks, then he turns off some filtering and upsampling, in my opinion things got better then, more dynamics and like a slight vale had been lifted, although it was good before, this is in comparison. Then he switches to HQ. The difference here was subtle, I suppose especially to an average listener, however, I still preferred the Roon native setting. I noticed on HQ a shaker was less natural, more like a sound effect, and an acoustic guitar sounded more like a student guitar opposed to the nice full sound I heard from Roon.

Do you all get free trial versions of this software? I always said the source is important, yet this whole software thing seems complex and easy to make a good system sound not so good, or at least not up to it's potential by using the wrong software, and then the wrong set up. I thought picking an analog rig was challenging, I don't even want to think about trying this hard drive thing.

Feanor
07-24-2016, 04:03 AM
Well this is interesting and I've certainly notice many references to Roon of late. Like you, I would prefer trial versions of software provided the functionality is full and the trial period reasonably long. But let me be clear that I'm fully dedicated to computer audio -- I haven't used my CD/SACD player at all in months, and only very rarely in years.

It might be small change to some people but US$120 per year for Roon gives me pause. I've been using Foobar2000 for many years and it's free. Various effects, including equalization and up-sampling, are possible through plug-ins; I personally use an EQ plug in to good effect as I perceive it.

I'm very skeptical that a player that sends a "bit perfect" stream to a DAC is going to make much -- or any -- difference to the sound. (Some DAC may handle transmission-induce jitter differently from others, but that is another matter.) Up-sampling, filtering, and other effects have the potential to change the sound a lot, but, of course, that isn't "bit perfect" by definition.

So for example HQ Player provide various up-sampling and filtering options as well as DSD conversion. Clearly this has the potential to effect the sound more or less, and blackraven has reported good improvements with HQ Player and even more with Bughead Emperor. My current DAC, the Schiit Gungnir Multibit given its own, built-in oversampling and "closed form" filtering would, IMO, benefit much less from upstream processing than some other DACs.

Mr Peabody
07-24-2016, 05:52 AM
I didn't realize Roon was a paid service. It was mentioned Roon retrieves a lot of artist & album info but even YouTube's Theater Mode does that. Another feature that was pretty cool was a radio feature, like if we were listening to Milt Jackson and paused a certain time without selecting another song the unit would seek and play a similar track to the one just played. Like you though I don't think I would want to be tied to another monthly fee for something. These companies need to realize what a pain it can be to deal with them.

harley .guy07
07-24-2016, 11:40 AM
I myself also use Foobar 2000 and really like it because for one it is free, also very customizable, and while it might not have the polish that Roon might have I raelly don't think the difference is worth that much money for the software. I also use Fidelizer 7.3 which is the program that has made the biggest difference in my system. And it looks like I'm not the only one as Fidelizer has gotten good reviews and have grown as a brand as well.

blackraven
07-24-2016, 04:03 PM
I have not tried Roon but I would love to. However, I am not willing to pay the yearly fee or the lifetime fee. HQ player certainly is a very good program, much better than J River but the GUI sucks. And you have to know what you are doing with the different settings. In addition, you need a computer with some horsepower to use all the functions of HQP.
I was able to get very good sounding settings from a forum thread dedicated to HQP.

Bug Head however is in a class of itself. It sounds much better than HQP. You need a computer with a good I-3 processor, preferably an I-7 and at least 4gb ram but 8-32gb is recommended. BH clears out your memory and then writes the music to memory. I got BH to work with a good I-3 and 4gb ram but my main rig is an I-7 and 16gb. You need the horsepower if you are going to upsample or use some of the many advanced settings. But even basic settings with BH are excellent, much better than Redbook CD and SACD. The issue with BH is that there are so many versions that come out each week and they all sound a little different. You need to find a version that has synergy with your system just like finding a CD Player or DAC that has synergy. I use version 6.66 which has a slightly warmer, darker tone but is not quite as detailed as some other versions. Up sampling generally improves the sound but I find that older poorly recorded music sounds best at standard Redbook. Most music sounds best up sampled to 352 to 384khz in my system. The best part about BH is that it sounds better than anything out there and its free. The worst is the GUI. It is great for long listening sessions not casual listening where you may want to jump around to different songs or artists.

harley .guy07
07-24-2016, 04:35 PM
I tried Bug Head once and just could not get over the windows 95 looking interface, I thought it sounded good but not enough better than my Foobar2000/Fidelizer combo to deal with the terrible interface. Just my opinion.

blackraven
07-24-2016, 04:58 PM
I tried Bug Head once and just could not get over the windows 95 looking interface, I thought it sounded good but not enough better than my Foobar2000/Fidelizer combo to deal with the terrible interface. Just my opinion.

Harley, how long ago was that? Early versions of BH were not great. The newer versions are fantastic. Fidelizer works with BH and improves the sound. The user interface is still not great and I do not know if it has changes since earlier versions since I started with version 5.31. A friend of mine used Foobar and switched to BH. And as I stated, different versions sound different and you can drastically change and tailor the sound with all the different settings.

By the way, Paul Speltz with anticables contacted me and told me he has a pair of Spatial M3's that he loaned out to a local reviewer. He is going to contact me by phone this week to possibly set up an audition.

harley .guy07
07-25-2016, 07:29 AM
really cool about being able to demo the Spatials. are they the standard m3 or the turbo version that I ordered? about the software I tried BH about a year and a half ago and just could not get over the interface. I am willing to put some with a lot of things for better sound quality but this interface was so terrible at least on the version I tried that if it added anything my frustration level took it back away.

harley .guy07
07-25-2016, 07:42 AM
I just tried to download and install a new version of Bug Head just to give it another try and it wont open for me once installed. Don't know what the deal is

blackraven
07-25-2016, 08:33 AM
really cool about being able to demo the Spatials. are they the standard m3 or the turbo version that I ordered? about the software I tried BH about a year and a half ago and just could not get over the interface. I am willing to put some with a lot of things for better sound quality but this interface was so terrible at least on the version I tried that if it added anything my frustration level took it back away.

Paul Speltz just emailed me about the speakers. A reviewer has them for a few weeks but eventually he is going to let me audition them in my home. The reviewer offered to bring them over so I could listen to them first and then he would do a review but no sense in moving them more than they need to be. I don't know if they are the Turbo or not. I guess I should ask.

You should uninstall and reinstall BH. I had to do that 1 time as it did not install properly as some programs can do that. Make sure your anti-virus is off if you do.

Mr Peabody
07-25-2016, 07:38 PM
It seems Fidelizer is useful addition, I forgot the exact way he put it but my take was it makes the computer focus on music play by shutting down unnecessary functions not related to playing the music. He says JPlay is another program that does essentially the same thing.

He feels Foobar is alright but has poor interface.

My friend says this is what we were listening to: WSY2K12, AudiophileOptimizer, Fidelizer, ROON, and HQPlayer With microrendu as NAA.

Seems like a lo to me but he says they work good together.

Feanor
07-26-2016, 06:17 AM
It seems Fidelizer is useful addition, I forgot the exact way he put it but my take was it makes the computer focus on music play by shutting down unnecessary functions not related to playing the music. He says JPlay is another program that does essentially the same thing.

He feels Foobar is alright but has poor interface.

My friend says this is what we were listening to: WSY2K12, AudiophileOptimizer, Fidelizer, ROON, and HQPlayer With microrendu as NAA.

Seems like a lo to me but he says they work good together.

Seems like a lot to me too, but I must allow that different people get different result on account so many variations in systems, and that's quadruply true when it comes to computers.

I have tried Fidelizer but in my case on multiple occasions; I noticed no improvement but have had blue screens. I have disable various Windows services and find that that has worked well enough.

In defence of Foobar2000, IMO the interface is just fine but it does take some effort to understand how to configure it. Once you "get it", it is highly customizable. With effort over decade I have managed to fine tune my interface to just the way I like it.

I gather that MicroRendu is a basically a stripped-down, audio optimized computer that runs a version of Linux, but I don't really understand what it would do for me. E.g. I don't see how I would use it with my Foobar player.

I don't think I've heard of WSY2K1: what is it?

Mr Peabody
07-27-2016, 04:36 PM
Feanor, "WSY2K12 = Windows Server 2012
At first you had to use WSY2K12 to run the AudiophileOptimizer software. But now you can run AudiophileOptimizer on Windows 10 pro and get almost the same spectacular sonic results. AudiophileOptimizer strips unneeded services and processes from the operating system which makes the CPU and ram much more efficient resulting in better sound. "

Feanor
07-28-2016, 08:03 AM
Feanor, "WSY2K12 = Windows Server 2012
At first you had to use WSY2K12 to run the AudiophileOptimizer software. But now you can run AudiophileOptimizer on Windows 10 pro and get almost the same spectacular sonic results. AudiophileOptimizer strips unneeded services and processes from the operating system which makes the CPU and ram much more efficient resulting in better sound. "

Ah well, that WSY2K12 = Windows Server 2012 makes sense; (maybe I should have figured that out).

I looked at the AudiophileOptimizer manual and I note that some pretty complex, multi-computer setups are possible and recommended for best results. I also note AO installation makes permanent changes to your computer configuration, (unlike Fidelizer which is undone when you reboot). Neither of these things is appealing to me ... plus I would need at least Win 10 Pro, (but preferably Server), whereas I have only Win 10 Home.

In case of computer audio, the complexity -- potentially -- is far greater than any other type or aspect of audio. Accordingly, there is no type of audio where "good enough" is more true. Just like with such things as vibration and electronic isolation, the individual might have problem that needs fixing OR they might not, in which case complex tweaks are redundant.

The most annoying problems I've had with my computer audio have been what I'll call "burps" or "hiccups", NOT detail, transparency, air, dynamics, or such fundamental sound attributes.. The exact cause(s) can be very elusive but are invariably related to conflicts among programs, device drivers, or OS services. Fidelizer or AudiophileOptimizer can be a bit help getting rid of these problems, especially the OS-related aspects. Or there again, they might not be necessary or even make an improvement at all depending on your circumstances.

I have had best results simply by not running an anti-virus -- which programs are real hogs -- and by disabling a few Window services that I clearly don't need on my music computer. (Black Viper | (http://www.blackviper.com/)www.blackviper.com (http://www.blackviper.com) ? Have You Tweaked Your OS Lately? offers good, totally free general purpose advice on how to optimize Windows services.)