upgrade [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : upgrade

recoveryone
07-22-2016, 08:18 AM
Using a line from rapper LL Cool J, Its not really a comeback (upgrade) but more of a switch over from the lite starter unit Pioneer 520-k to the beefier Pioneer Elite VSX-01TXH for the bedroom system. Pick it up off Ebay for under $100, so I'm all smiles :). I also pick up another Pioneer BDP 330 and 120 for under $50.

The 01 and 520 output the same power 110 per channel, but the 01 has much more beef in its power unit than the 520. The 01 is sort of a throw back having all the analog connections that the newer 520 didn't have.
last night I listened to some music via the Touch and I had not even done the MCACC setup or had the Sound Reteriver setting on, but it sounded very very good. Looking forward to hear if any noticeable improvements can be had after the tune up.

topspeed
07-22-2016, 11:52 AM
Congrats! Anything that brings you closer to the music is always a good thing...especially at those prices! Nice find!

recoveryone
07-23-2016, 09:37 AM
Update on the swap, After doing the MCACC setup the clarity really comes out of the Polk Monitor 40 II,s and my old Optimus LX5 surrounds. I went through all of the settings on both the AVR and BDP to make sure the PQLS and Deep Color was activated. I try not to get caught up in the new gear fever which can make you think you are hearing or seeing improvements, but I can say this new addition to the bedroom system puts it much closer in PQ and SQ to my main rig.

AVR: Pioneer Elite VSX-01TXH
BDP: Pioneer BDP 330
TV: Vizio 39" E series
CD: Logitech Touch

The best part about all this I can say is it all cost under $800 including speakers over the years.

harley .guy07
07-23-2016, 01:24 PM
for a bedroom system or a second system that only gets mold av use or background music or not so serious music listening a used receiver can be a very good value at what used ones go for. I keep my older Yamaha receiver around just for that reason, because I know some day I might want a garage system or to run some deck speakers off of something not tied to the main system.