Dynaudio 1.3SE matching amplifier? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dynaudio 1.3SE matching amplifier?

Shootsy
04-29-2004, 01:12 PM
Hi,

I would like to match my speakers with a new pre-amp/amp or integrated. I'm looking for something with fast and punchy bass and very detailed. Also my speakers says 6 ohms at the back but all I'm seeing around is 4 or 8...what the heck does that mean?

I was looking at some tube amplifiers but even though I may get more musicality I'm afraid to lose too much low-end. Unless there's a great one around!?

Thanks for your inputs!
+

Prefuse
04-29-2004, 10:11 PM
You've got a great pair of speakers. I would look into Plinius, Sim Audio, and Krell. Many find Krell to be on the bright side, but of course if you're looking for slam, that's what Krell is known for. I would look at a good 4 ohm amp with ample current.

paul_pci
04-29-2004, 10:36 PM
Yeah, Dynaudio's are great, but power hungry, so definitely buy a high powered amp. I auditioned a pair of Audience 52se's and was told that they were running through a 100watt Rotel amp and they sound just great. As far as the ohms go, if they're six then hook them up to a 4ohm amp, not an 8ohm amp.

Happy hunting and listening.

nusiclover
04-29-2004, 10:52 PM
very cool speakers. i have 52se and i tried many different amps. like you, i like the musicality of tube gear. i ended up with musical fidelity and i feel that they work very well with dynaudio. reviewers state that mf is ss but offers a tube-like quality. with such killer speakers, you may want to go with separates, but i can assure you that mf 308 integrated would be a nice audition. speakers tend to fluctuate ohms from as low as 2 to as high as 12 (as example). your speakers are rated 6ohm nominal meaning they tend to stay around that. if you got an amp that is only rated for 8ohm loads then your speakers will not be happy - neither will you. but, most high quality amps are ready for 8ohm/4ohm loads and everything inbetween. definitely get at least 100w power for dynaudios do require the extra juice. again, any high quality amp, unless specifically rated for 8ohms will most likely work with a 4ohm load. your best off asking your dealer, then also researching it yourself. all amps will have their ratings listed under specifications.

NickWH
04-30-2004, 11:16 AM
You should definitely audition Plinius. The Plinius amplifier house sound is known to have "tube-like" qualities. I know this is a much over-used description, but if you read the reviews you will see this mentioned on more than one occassion. I'm using Audience 42's with a Plinius 8100 integrated and I think the synergy is perfect. The bass drive is there, as well as the coherence, timing and timbre. It really is a great match with the highly resolving Dynaudio dome tweeters. I don't think you will be dissappointed.

It is also commonly stated that Sim Audio amplifiers match up well with Dynaudio loudspeakers. Sim Audio integrateds are also known for their excellent drive and power capability. If you have the opportunity, I would audition both brands and go with the combo you like best.

Mr Peabody
04-30-2004, 12:40 PM
Sounds like you have already received some good advice. I drive my 2.5t's with Krell. I like the combo very much and can clock several hours of listening simultaneously without any fatigue. It's a very dynamic presentation. Krell has a new integrated around $2,500. that is supposed to be very good. I have also heard systems with Dyn's and Arcam that were pretty good. I have heard it said that PS Audio is an amp that provides slam with a nice tube like midrange. I haven't heard them personally. The only tube gear I've heard that would push the Dyn's is Audio Research. I haven't heard them with Dyn's but I have with Martin Logans and if they can drive ML, they should be able to drive The Dyn's. I also have a system with Adcom driving some Audience 60's. I would only recommend Adcom if you are on an absolute budget. They will push the Dyn's but I don't like Adcom for critical listening. I find them bass heavy and somewhat grainy. I wouldn't make it in stone to get 100 watts or higher, the British amps like Arcam, Naim, Linn or Creek could easily run Dyn's with their lower wattage amps. Primare is another high quality amp you might consider.

Try to do in home audition if possible. Remember the amp has to jell with your sources as well as the speakers. What cdp do you have?