Seen any good TV series recently? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Seen any good TV series recently?

Feanor
07-05-2016, 01:35 PM
Yes, I have, and I'm gonna list a few. Mostly on Netflix, one or two elsewhere as noted.

Narcos, (1 season on Netflix.ca): a very fine drama dealing with the history of Pablo Escobar and a DEA agent on his trail in Columbia. 4/5*
Broadchurch, (2 seasons): a British crime drama set in rural coastal England; stars David Tennant of Doctor Who fame. 4.5/5*
Happy Valley, (2 seasons): another British crime drama, this time set in a Yorkshire town. 5/5*
The Fall, (2 season): yet another great British crime drama, this one set in Northern Ireland. Shows events from both the sex predator serial killer's and the police's POVs. Stars Gillian Anderson of X-Files fame. 4.5/5*
Better Call Saul, (1 season on Netflix.ca, more to follow): very entertaining prequel to Breaking Bad. It introduces Jimmy McGill, a.k.a. Saul Goodman, and Breaking Bad fixer, Mike Ehrmantraut. A bit lighter in tone than Breaking Bad. 4/5*
The Bridge, (2 seasons of which I've seen one so far), a crime drama set in Denmark and Sweden around the Øresund Bridge. Pretty dark stuff. 4/5*
Mr. Selfridge, (3 seasons so far on Netflix.ca): the dramatized story of Harry Selfridge, founder of Selfridge's department store in London. Soap opera-ish but fun. 3.5/4*
Billions, (1 season on CraveTv.ca): A US attorney, (Paul Giamatti), goes after a crooked hedge fund manager, (Damian Lewis). 4/5*
Orphan Black, (4 seasons, 3 on CraveTV.ca): a Canadian science fictionish mystery drama, featuring multiple clones, all played by actress, Tatiana Maslany. 3.5/5*
Marco Polo, (2 seasons): Fictional story based on the semi-historic Marco Polo but mostly about the Mongol khan/Chinese Emperor, Kublai Khan. Really fabulous acting by Benedict Wong playing Kublai. 3.5./5*
Childhood's End, (3-part miniseries in Shomi.com): sci fi based on Arthur C. Clarke's book of the same name. A tad disappointing. 3/5*

blackraven
07-06-2016, 08:30 AM
My favorites are-

Black Sails- Awesome show

Better Call Saul

Game of Thrones

Outlander

Banshee

The Expanse- on the SyFy channel

Madame Secretary

Feanor
07-06-2016, 10:48 AM
My favorites are-

Black Sails- Awesome show

Better Call Saul

Game of Thrones

Outlander

Banshee

The Expanse- on the SyFy channel

Madame Secretary

Thanks for this list. I have watched Game of Thrones throughout and love it -- I didn't mention it because if virtually goes without say. I've heard good thinks about the others; some I can't get presently but Outlander, for one, is on my list.

thekid
07-08-2016, 04:39 PM
If you are looking for something that is not your usual Superhero fare I recommend the Netflix series Jessica Jones.

Feanor
07-09-2016, 05:09 AM
If you are looking for something that is not your usual Superhero fare I recommend the Netflix series Jessica Jones.

Thanks, Kid. I'm not a big superhero fan personally.

Hyfi
07-11-2016, 07:38 AM
Nothing new, but just started plowing thru "Joan of Arcadia" again for the umpth time.

It's a real shame that Mainstream Religious idiots had this show nixed after 3 really good seasons.

Theme song- Joan Osborn "What if God were one of us"

The basic premise of the show is that God appears to Joan as a normal person and asks her to do something. It always seems stupid or trivial, but by the end of each episode, the results of what Joan starts comes clear, and most of the time the results are not for Joan.

Lots of good stars and acting with Joe Montegna, Mary Steenburgen, Jason Ritter, and Amber Tamblyn

This is not a Religious show, but it is highly spiritual.

Worf101
08-01-2016, 01:05 PM
Well, I've seen several

Stranger Things - A weird homage to all things late 70's early 80's especially Stephen King.

Wayward Pines - A sci-fi "Ark" series with people being defrosted some 4000 years in the future.

The Strain - What happens when real (non-sparkly) Vampire's decided to take over NY City.

Worf

Feanor
08-02-2016, 05:33 AM
Well, I've seen several

Stranger Things - A weird homage to all things late 70's early 80's especially Stephen King.

Wayward Pines - A sci-fi "Ark" series with people being defrosted some 4000 years in the future.

The Strain - What happens when real (non-sparkly) Vampire's decided to take over NY City.

Worf

I haven't seen or heard of those but I'll watch for them. My wife is more likely to be interested in the sci-fi type than I am. She is currently watching Dark Matter and Killjoy, (these happen to be Canadian productions).