Schiit Modi 2 Uber: power supply [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Schiit Modi 2 Uber: power supply

MothAudio
07-03-2016, 07:32 AM
Waiting on delivery of my Schiit Modi 2 Uber DAC and already considering some tweaks. Has anyone experimented with replacing the stock wall-wart for another power supply? I have a couple of Audio Alchemy power station 3 PS that accept an IEC connector, which would allow for after market power cords. The search engine didn't result in anything specific to the Uber vs the non-Uber model. TIA

Feanor
07-03-2016, 08:02 AM
Waiting on delivery of my Schiit Modi 2 Uber DAC and already considering some tweaks. Has anyone experimented with replacing the stock wall-wart for another power supply? I have a couple of Audio Alchemy power station 3 PS that accept an IEC connector, which would allow for after market power cords. The search engine didn't result in anything specific to the Uber vs the non-Uber model. TIA

I owned the original Modi DAC for while and enjoyed it; the latest models are likely improved. The original Modi was USB bus powered only whereas the Modi 2 Uber has a 16 VAC power connector.

It is significant that the power input is AC, not DC. This effectively limits the benefits of a power supply upgrade since the unit itself internally provides the filtering and regulation that it requires for DC operation. The only possible upgrade is to the 120 to 16 VAC transformer but the standard transformer is probably adequate for the unit. Possibly your best improvement would be from plugging the standard wall-wart into RFI/EMI filtered outlet such as most Triplite or Belkin surge protectors.

By the way, I'm currently using the Schiit Gungnir Multibit DAC which is great but in an entirely different price category from the Modi 2.

MothAudio
07-03-2016, 08:39 AM
Thanks Feanor!

Feanor
07-03-2016, 09:07 AM
Thanks Feanor!

http://fcdn.audioreview.com/attachments/digital-domain-computer-audio/9981d1467563644-schiit-modi-2-uber-power-supply-aa.jpg

So, Moth, as you can see the Audio Alchemy can't be useful to you since its output is DC, not AC.