Connecting Receiver w/o preamp out to power amp [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Connecting Receiver w/o preamp out to power amp

littlecarman
06-26-2016, 03:18 PM
What are my options here: I have a Kenwood AR404 Stereo Receiver/amp hooked up to (4) Cerwin Vegas VS80s...2 way 8"...using the A & B speaker outs. There is no preamp out on the KW. I want to hook up (2) Cerwin Vegas VS150s to a Luxman M-117 Amp w/ fixed and variable inputs. How should I come out if the Kenwood? Headphone jack (KW has no headphone volume control but M117 has variable inputs? Or should I use one of the record outs? I just don't want to blow anything by just trying it. Any suggestions would become appreciated! I also have an old vintage Pioneer SA8500-II receiver...it does have preouts. Which would give me better sound...the Pioneer or the Kenwood? Thanks! Vito

blackraven
06-26-2016, 03:22 PM
You are out of luck with the Kenwood. Go with the Pioneer. The record out will not be affected by the tone or volume control I believe. There may be other differences though.

Mr Peabody
06-26-2016, 07:49 PM
You could check into a speaker selector that might work with the Kenwood. Maybe a company like Niles might make one. I've not messed with them much.

The record out won't work because the output is fixed. I know you said the Luxman has variable inputs but who wants to operate two volume controls all the time. Headphone jack is a thought but some receivers turn the speakers off when the headphone plug is inserted, but if it's live all the time you could try it.

Are you using all those speakers in one room?