Celestion sl12 hookup [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Celestion sl12 hookup

holloclank
06-15-2016, 07:32 AM
I know it is annoying to have a massive picture but I didn't know how else to slap er in here. My boss just acquired these speakers from his parents and he said there is a bridge on both connections like in the picture. He said that one set of connections is labeled as bass and the other treble. There was only one wire hooked up to the bass and that is it. Because of the bridge, does that mean he would only need one positive and one negative attached to the speakers?

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/RK4AAOSwz2lXDEf7/s-l1600.jpg

Hyfi
06-15-2016, 07:41 AM
Looks to be for Bi-Wire or Bi-Amping.

If you wanted to use a different amp for the highs and lows, you would remove the jumpers and use the one set of terminals for each amp

Feanor
06-15-2016, 07:46 AM
I know it is annoying to have a massive picture but I didn't know how else to slap er in here. My boss just acquired these speakers from his parents and he said there is a bridge on both connections like in the picture. He said that one set of connections is labeled as bass and the other treble. There was only one wire hooked up to the bass and that is it. Because of the bridge, does that mean he would only need one positive and one negative attached to the speakers?

Hi, holloclank, and welcome to AR Forums.

Yes, the bridges (jumpers) are there so only one '+' and one '-' connection from the amplifier to each speaker is necessary. The speaker maker provided separate bass and treble connections in case the owner chooses to "bi-wire" the speakers, i.e. use separate +/- wires for bass and treble; this arrangement is optional and doesn't necessarily improve the sound.

holloclank
06-15-2016, 07:52 AM
Thank you for the prompt reply. Does it mater which + and - wire connects to, i.e. one on the left set of two and one on the right set of two. I personally have not seen them so I am not sure if they are marked with a +/- on or next to each connection.

Hyfi
06-15-2016, 07:59 AM
Use the same ones from each side. There are theories as to whether to load the upper or lower, in this case left-right terminals but without overloading you, read thru this link

http://www.audioquest.com/resource_tools/LearningMods/UndrstndgBiWr.pdf

JohnMichael
06-15-2016, 08:47 AM
When I single wire bi-wire speakers, due to an article I read, I have found that taking the positive wire to the positive high frequency post and the negative wire to the negative low frequency post I noticed an improvement. Of course this is when the jumpers were in place.

Hyfi
06-15-2016, 08:56 AM
When I single wire bi-wire speakers, due to an article I read, I have found that taking the positive wire to the positive high frequency post and the negative wire to the negative low frequency post I noticed an improvement. Of course this is when the jumpers were in place.

I was looking for that web page when I posted the link below. I experimented with all the variations listed on the one you are referring to and in my setup had a hard time hearing anything different.

Here is the one you are talking about

http://www.nordost.com/downloads/NorseJumperinstructions.pdf

JohnMichael
06-15-2016, 09:19 AM
I was looking for that web page when I posted the link below. I experimented with all the variations listed on the one you are referring to and in my setup had a hard time hearing anything different.

Here is the one you are talking about

http://www.nordost.com/downloads/NorseJumperinstructions.pdf

No that is not the article and they profess the opposite of what I had read about. The article I read was an audio guru who I respect but cannot currently remember. He suggested the positive to the highs and the negative to the bass.

Feanor
06-15-2016, 10:49 AM
No that is not the article and they profess the opposite of what I had read about. The article I read was an audio guru who I respect but cannot currently remember. He suggested the positive to the highs and the negative to the bass.

If the jumpers are sufficient gauge and securely connected it ought to make no difference.

JohnMichael
06-15-2016, 08:08 PM
If the jumpers are sufficient gauge and securely connected it ought to make no difference.

Oh but many things that should not make a difference do make a difference.