Iso Acoustic stands [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Iso Acoustic stands

Mr Peabody
05-29-2016, 03:31 PM
My friend, who is an audio dealer heard these at the show and was hot on them. I heard the YouTube demo and wasn't so sold. In addition, floating a speaker goes against everything I've always heard, sturdy cabinet, sturdy stance, etc. hence spikes. The Iso Acoustic allows the speaker to move with the force of the driver basically giving it a floating effect. So he orders a pair that matches my speaker, brings them over and sets them up for me. There was an immediate difference but my ears were not sure they liked what they heard. The more I listened it was a closed case the sound was annoying me. At first listen it seemed like there was more space and air around things but it dawned on me the stands were simply not fully allowing the woofer to do it's job, the midbass punch was gone, vocals were cooler because the full frequency wasn't there, the overall sound was sort of holow. After removing the stands the sound by comparison seemed more compressed but it was "right" again. When you take away a speakers firm footing it's amazing how wrong it can be, even piano strikes and vibes didn't sound right. I really went into this with an open mind, I liked the fact my speakers would be 5.5" higher and he did go through a lot of trouble. I may be overly sensitive to the effect but I couldn't listen anymore with the stands. If you find the website there's a link to a youtube demo, if you have good speakers or headphones for your computer you should get some sense of what happens.
This is just my take and experience, some may like the effect.

JohnMichael
05-29-2016, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the warning. I spotted them in the Music Direct catalog and was considering them.

Feanor
05-30-2016, 03:45 AM
Your findings aren't surprising. The idea of "floating" the speaker sounds fundamentally bad.

blackraven
05-30-2016, 03:16 PM
WTF, any one read Vietnamese?

JohnMichael
05-30-2016, 05:51 PM
WTF, any one read Vietnamese?

I cannot but I can delete it.

Mr Peabody
05-30-2016, 06:35 PM
JM, if MD honors their 30 day return you might think about giving them a try to see what your take is. The IsoAcoustic website state Dynaudio sells one of their stands with a certain model monitor. This is puzzling to me as I have much respect for Dynaudio.

I heard what I heard though, and I can't imagine the result being all that different for other speakers. Maybe some people just like the resulting effect.

topspeed
05-31-2016, 09:35 AM
The very idea of de-coupling the speaker from the ground seems at odds with everything I've read over the years. If that's your goal, just hang the thing from the ceiling in a sling and you'll really have it isolated! Coupling a speaker to the ground is all about energy. I recall a documentary on Bruce Lee that showed him throwing a punch is super slo-mo and a kinesthesiolgist showed how the energy for the strike originated not in the fist or shoulder, but in the big toe of his driving leg. That solid foundation is what allowed the transfer of energy. Take that away and you'll end up with what you heard. Your speakers are essentially pro monitors, which are perfect for revealing improvements or, in this case, shortcomings in just about any product. Thanks for sharing.