Adding Second Sub [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Adding Second Sub

blackraven
05-19-2016, 10:49 AM
I just won a bid for a used Martin Logan Original Dynamo to add to my current Dynamo. I am going to try dual subs with my Maggie 1.6's. I got a good deal on it for $180. I am not sure that it will add anything but people seem to really like a dual sub configuration. A friend of mine just bought a second Rhythmik sub to add to his 1.7's and likes the change.

I will report back next week when I get the sub. I thought about upgrading to a more expensive sub in the $1500 range or a Rhythmik, but the Dynamo puts out really nice tight and musical bass without being overpowering. It blends seamlessly with the Maggies. Its not a great sub for HT but for 2ch music it is excellent.

blackraven
06-01-2016, 07:37 AM
I have had my second sub for almost a week now and I like the overall improvement. My room is 17'x17'x9'. I have the subs sitting just to the outside of my Maggies and about 2" forward from them. The improvement was not dramatic but it does add a little more dimension, wider sound stage and a slight sense of air. Bass seems a little smoother and more controlled as well, I guess because each sub is doing 1/2 the work of 1 sub. The difference is not dramatic though. I need to play around with the phase on both the subs to make sure that they are in phase with each other and my Maggies. I cross them over at 45Hz. In a few weeks a friend of mine is going to come over with an analyzer and we will dial in the subs.

I don't know that I would rush out and spend $1K for a second sub but for the $180 I paid for the used ML original Dynamo (normally sold for $700), I can't complain.

topspeed
06-01-2016, 01:49 PM
For $180 how can you loose? Seriously, you've probably spent more than that on cables, lol! Nice win on the sub and I'm glad it's bringing you more enjoyment. Please report back on the challenges of dialing in two subs, that's something I've always wondered about.

BTW, sorry we never did anything on those tubes. The seller decided to sell everything to a buyer I hooked her up with that was willing to purchase all of the gear, tubes included, in one fell swoop.

harley .guy07
06-01-2016, 02:43 PM
A second sub in the right placement will definitely have the potential to balance your overall bass output and allow the room to have a less of an effect on the balance of bass frequencies. And to boot like topspeed said 180 bucks isn't anything in this hobby so what the heck

bfalls
06-03-2016, 09:11 AM
I have had my second sub for almost a week now and I like the overall improvement. My room is 17'x17'x9'. I have the subs sitting just to the outside of my Maggies and about 2" forward from them. The improvement was not dramatic but it does add a little more dimension, wider sound stage and a slight sense of air. Bass seems a little smoother and more controlled as well, I guess because each sub is doing 1/2 the work of 1 sub. The difference is not dramatic though. I need to play around with the phase on both the subs to make sure that they are in phase with each other and my Maggies. I cross them over at 45Hz. In a few weeks a friend of mine is going to come over with an analyzer and we will dial in the subs.

I don't know that I would rush out and spend $1K for a second sub but for the $180 I paid for the used ML original Dynamo (normally sold for $700), I can't complain.

Noticing your room dimensions, I had always read square rooms were the "kiss of death" as far as standing waves and low frequencies are concerned. Have you done room treatments, or noticed any issues with standing waves?

blackraven
06-03-2016, 05:11 PM
Noticing your room dimensions, I had always read square rooms were the "kiss of death" as far as standing waves and low frequencies are concerned. Have you done room treatments, or noticed any issues with standing waves?

My room has large windows on 2 walls, 1 side wall and the wall facing the speakers. One side wall has double french doors that opens up to the kitchen. Soft window shades cover the windows with cloth valences above them. The floor is wood with a large area rug. No treatments. The room is live and gives a concert hall sound that I like and my friends like.

I have not really noticed standing wave issues but I do have a mid bass hump that the 1.6's are known for that the new 1.7's don't have. I guess I will find out more when my friend comes over with his analyzer if a few weeks.