Toshiba D-VR4XSU HiFi Video Cassette Recorder & DVD Recorder / Player VCR VHS [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba D-VR4XSU HiFi Video Cassette Recorder & DVD Recorder / Player VCR VHS

fmitchelltx
04-13-2016, 05:36 PM
I purchased this Toshiba DVD recorder a couple of months ago used on eBay. I have used it very little. Today, I put a disc in to watch. I got an error message saying incorrect disc. I tried other, non Blu Ray, discs that I have recorded on this unit as well as several movies that I have purchased over the last several months. Until today, the unit worked great with no problems recording or playing DVDs.

I am trying to decide if it is worth taking in for repair or purchasing another DVD / VHS recorder / player.

The repair place here where I live charges $25 to diagnose the problem. If I choose to have the repair done, my $25 will be applied to the repair. If not, I essentially throw away $25.

What should I do? Pay the $25 to have it looked at and depending on the repair cost have it fixed, or just get another used unit?

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

bfalls
04-14-2016, 04:55 AM
Usually playability issues are due to firmware. I checked the Toshiba support site and there is no new firmware available. A $25 bench fee is actually cheap compared to many I've seen. Making it non-refundable is to ensure you don't take his troubleshooting and try to repair it yourself, or have someone else do it. If he's only charging a $25 bench fee, his repair rates may be less expensive as well. It's just a matter of how much you want to keep this deck.

Mr Peabody
04-14-2016, 01:02 PM
True $25.00 is not so bad. If you decide not to do it and you have the space you might consider a separate VCR & DVD. Used VCR's are practically a give-away.

Welcome to AR.

fmitchelltx
04-15-2016, 10:30 AM
I like the unit and have the remote. I just don't want to get into the hundreds of dollars to fix the unit. I see other units, Funai (who I have never heard of) and others selling for less than $100 used. That is my problem. Do I fix this one or buy another used one.

Your input is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Mr Peabody
04-18-2016, 07:25 PM
For $25.00 you could have your answer. Maybe you should check Craigslist if it's in your area. As both DVD & VHS are nearly obsolete I'd think you should be able to find those combo units for quite a bit under $100.00 used.

Mr Peabody
04-18-2016, 07:27 PM
Funai manufactured VCR's for other companies then began putting out some units withtheir own name. Not sure on the quality or what the company does today.