Help connecting sub-woofer to vintage cr 820 Yamaha. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help connecting sub-woofer to vintage cr 820 Yamaha.

Brad Steinfeld
04-12-2016, 04:28 AM
Thanks for suggestions how to connect a sub-woofer to my Yam Cr 820 receiver.

Rear Panel:

AC Outlet Unswitched (2)
AC Outlet Switchedclassicaudio.com
Antenna Inputs: 300 ohm balanced, 75 ohm unbalanced, coaxial.
AM Ferrite Bar Antennaclassicaudio.com
Phono 1 (L, R)
Phono 2 (L, R)classicaudio.com
Aux (L, R)
Tape 1 Playback (L, R)
Tpae 1 Record (L, R)classicaudio.com
Tape 2 Playback (L, R)
Tape 2 Record (L, R)classicaudio.com
Speaker Out A (L, R)classicaudio.com
Speaker Out B (L, R)

blackraven
04-12-2016, 07:20 AM
The only way I see is to get a sub with speaker level inputs. Meaning you connect the sub to the speaker out of the receiver and into the speaker inputs of the sub. Not all subs have these connections.

SVS and HSU make subs with speaker level inputs.

topspeed
04-12-2016, 09:04 AM
Yup, like BR said, splice some wires into the speaker level out and hope your sub has speaker level inputs. Cambridge Soundworks also has speaker level on their subs.

Brad Steinfeld
04-12-2016, 10:24 AM
Thanks very much.

Brad Steinfeld
04-12-2016, 10:44 AM
Forgive the old school newbie ignorance but is this the type of input connection your referring to?

Thanks again !

Feanor
04-13-2016, 06:42 AM
Forgive the old school newbie ignorance but is this the type of input connection your referring to?

Thanks again !

No; this sub has a very simple interface designed to accept only a single, mono 'LFE' (low frequency effects) directly from an AV receiver.

You would need a sub that has left & right speaker ('high level') inputs (to receive the signals from you amp or receiver) and left & right speaker output to convey the signals onward to you main speakers.

The back of a subwoofer so equipped would look something like this: not the 'From Receiver' and 'Out To Speakers' connections ...

Brad Steinfeld
04-14-2016, 12:14 AM
Thanks very much Feanor.

topspeed
04-14-2016, 11:14 AM
You won't necessarily need speaker level outs on the sub, just so you know. You can run two pairs of wires from your Left/Right outputs on the receiver with one pair going to your main L/R speaker speakers and the other going to the speaker level inputs on the sub (which unfortunately, your current sub doesn't have based on the pic). Those are 5 way binding posts in Feanor's pic, which are the easiest to use as they accept banana's, spades, pins, or bare wire. Don't be surprised if you see spring loaded inputs on the sub exactly like the ones on the back of your vintage receiver.

I'm not aware of any way to get the signal from your current receiver to your sub, sorry.

Brad Steinfeld
04-17-2016, 06:01 AM
So this just came along on my local Craiglist.
Am I correct this might fill my input /output needs to run the
sub connect ?

Thanks again for all the help.

JoeE SP9
04-17-2016, 09:32 AM
That has line level inputs. It also has speaker level inputs and outputs. You're covered regardless of how you want/need to connect it.

Feanor
04-17-2016, 09:42 AM
So this just came along on my local Craiglist.
Am I correct this might fill my input /output needs to run the
sub connect ?

Thanks again for all the help.

Yes, this is the configuration you need to use an amp or receiver without dedicated subwoofer output with a subwoofer.

Just connect your speaker cables from your amp to the Speaker Level Input, and your speakers to the Speaker Lever Outputs.

Also don't forget to ...

Set the sub's Volume level to so the sub's volume level is compatible with your main speaker volume
Set the Low-pass to integrate your sub with our main speakers -- the objective is to have little or no overlap of sub and main speaker outputs
It might be necessary to change the Phase for best results. Start with Phase = 0 then try Phase = 180; use the setting that yields the most sub output; then reset your Volume to match your main speakers.

Brad Steinfeld
04-17-2016, 12:15 PM
Great.

Thanks