Santana IV, new album 2016 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Santana IV, new album 2016

Mr Peabody
04-06-2016, 07:46 PM
I'm excited to hear this, the early classic line up of Greg Rollie and Neal Schon with Carlos. Ron Isley does a couple vocals. I tried to copy some stuff here from the article but it wouldn't work, so you may have to search for more info if interested. This line up hasn't recorded together in 45 years. I really like the early Santana, the 3 Journey albums before Steve Perry (liked the ones with him too) & Rollie and Schon released an album together under the name Abraxas Pool I really liked, so as I said, I was excited to see this and looking forward to hearing it.

3LB
04-07-2016, 07:58 AM
I think it stands a chance of being a good effort. I don't think it'll reach the heights of those first few albums but then again it doesn't have to. Even a retread of those early years would be of more interest to me than what they've done separately In recent years.

Jack in Wilmington
04-07-2016, 09:51 AM
I've had it on preorder since the beginning of Feb. Hope it's worth the wait.

3LB
04-07-2016, 11:52 AM
I'm hoping the inclusion of Schon and Rollie will at least make this a more rounded effort than Santana's last attempt at this kind of statement, Shapeshifter. The single that was released a while ago, Anywhere You Want To Go, is OK but I'm hoping it's not the best they could do.

Mr Peabody
05-23-2016, 06:25 PM
I listened to this album streaming and it didn't do much for me. A few good songs but not on my purchase list. Maybe I was expecting too much.

On the other hand I recently listened to Zebop and thought this has to be one of their best. The vocalist is great, I'm pretty sure same guy is on Marathon, another strong album. If you have Zebop, spin it, if not, get it.

Jack in Wilmington
05-24-2016, 06:00 AM
I listened to this album streaming and it didn't do much for me. A few good songs but not on my purchase list. Maybe I was expecting too much.

On the other hand I recently listened to Zebop and thought this has to be one of their best. The vocalist is great, I'm pretty sure same guy is on Marathon, another strong album. If you have Zebop, spin it, if not, get it.

Agreed. I was sort of underwhelmed. There are a couple songs that remind me of early Santana, but as their latter releases go, I like Shape Shifter better at this point. Will have to see if this album grows on me. Don't know Zebop, but will check them out.

Mr Peabody
05-24-2016, 05:56 PM
Jack, Zebop is a platinum selling album from Santana, 1981. Also check out the earlier Marathon.

harley .guy07
05-26-2016, 08:32 PM
I picked it up for my wife since she is a huge Santana fan from way back and to me it just was not the same as the music he made years ago, granted he is way older and time changes everyone. The musicianship was there and the studio work was good but to me there wasn't anything there that made be want to pay attention more than just background music. Even my wife seemed a little underwhelmed with it.

sjtm
05-27-2016, 10:49 AM
Not sure I listened to Zebop much (if at all) back in the day, but pulled it up on youtube and it was quite good, albeit more pop infused than the first two Santana albums. Slid further down the slippery slope and ordered the first two reissues and found Zebop reissue quite cheap ($13.79 for the vinyl). Looking forward to a Santana session soon.Have not checked out the latest album, but will soon.

Jack in Wilmington
09-06-2016, 10:17 AM
Caught the last hour of the new Santana concert on AXS tv. The band sounded quite good with Gregg and Neal back on board. Will try to catch the whole thing when it is on again.

Hyfi
09-07-2016, 04:10 AM
I got mine a few months ago and like half of it. I can do without the vocals, but enjoyed the music, even if it does sound more like a rehash of earlier years.....which were great.