Oh how the world has changed... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Oh how the world has changed...

TheHills44060
03-26-2016, 07:15 PM
I just moved in to a new house in October and have been enjoying the ability to finally listen to my system and its capabilities since i am not in a condo anymore sharing walls with neighbors. Well so I thought anyway...

Its all new construction so its a brand new neighborhood.

A few fridays ago i was jamming some tunes and was pleasantly surprised by a knock at my front door. It was the police! Well it was only 11 o clock and i didnt think it was that loud at all but not the point of the story.

So its just a single officer and i offer to let him inside and he accepts. Yeah this guy is definitely green, NEVER go inside a persons house alone when invited i don't care how nice the neighborhood is. Anyway he explains to me he received a call that there was loud music and he wanted to make sure there wasn't a party going on.

So this officer couldn't have been older than 28 i reckon and he says,"nice place..." but this is why I am posting this here...he then says, "Oh you were listening to music on those big speakers?!?" Meanwhile I have Castle Acoustics Howard S3's (not the chinese versions sold now). They are very small floorstanders but my point is this generation is so used to tiny lifestyle speakers when they see any type of floorstander its odd to them. It just really made me realize how different the times are now.

Feanor
03-27-2016, 09:32 AM
11 PM is the cut off for loud music, parties, etc., around here but curiously, the grace allowance that it may be exceeded twice year, (not including rowdiness or frank law breaking). I don't know if or how police keep track.

The has always been a certain segment of people who are blissfully unaware of the audiophilia. Possibly there more today than there used to be; certainly more were aware during the height of the stereo craze in the late from the mid-70s thru the early 80s. Many people who been at our place have to have it explained that my Magneplanars are speakers; they have never seen or imagined that what look like room dividers are actually loudspeakers.

Mr Peabody
03-27-2016, 05:56 PM
Were the windows open? If not, the bass must have been carrying.

I suppose with only one big box chain store and many people using portable devices there's a segment that is out of the audio loop but with the increase in audio shows, interest in vinyl again and the internet, I would have thought knowledge of audio might be growing some.

thekid
03-28-2016, 01:37 AM
Were the windows open? If not, the bass must have been carrying.

I suppose with only one big box chain store and many people using portable devices there's a segment that is out of the audio loop but with the increase in audio shows, interest in vinyl again and the internet, I would have thought knowledge of audio might be growing some.

From my experience the kids today listen to music mostly on ear buds, computer speakers and Bluetooth speakers connected to their smartphones. Their only experience with stand alone speakers is through HT. Hipsters are more into audio these days but I am not sure if they are in to it for the audio quality as much as the aesthetics.

Hyfi
03-28-2016, 04:12 AM
Did you turn it down? You never finished the story.

The guy would have really been miffed with my Clearfields, the Castles are smallish.

Mr Peabody
03-28-2016, 01:39 PM
I wonder what he would have thought about the JBL 4367 I have. Still probably not as surprising as my SVS sub that looks like a hot water heater in the room, most wouldn't know what the heck they were looking at.

TheHills44060
04-03-2016, 07:16 AM
I didn't want to be "that guy" so yes I turned it off completely haha.