I made an impulse buy, too [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I made an impulse buy, too

02audionoob
03-26-2016, 08:50 AM
I've been looking at the Audio Research LP1 ever since I first noticed it on the market, maybe 3 years ago. I didn't buy because its fixed gain of 47 dB wasn't right for the 0.4 mV output of my Benz cartridge.

But I've been using a high-output Dynavector for a while now. Its 2.8 mV output is right in there with the LP1's gain. And so when a used one turned up on the website of the local ARC dealer, I went and got it the same day.

I'm digging the muscular sound, for the moment. It probably lacks a tad of the clarity and detail of the Benz along with the PS Audio GCPH, but it's fun.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2951765/SH%20photos/100_6556.JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2951765/SH%20photos/100_6561.JPG

Mr Peabody
03-26-2016, 06:54 PM
Nice find.

Our local dealer picked up Benz. I heard one of their popular MC carts, forget the model, but I liked what I heard, it wasn't as "warm" as I expecting from all the online comments.

blackraven
03-27-2016, 04:41 PM
Nice pickup! My next upgrade will be a phono preamp.

Mr Peabody
03-27-2016, 06:00 PM
PS Audio is blowing out their phono stage with the built in A to D converter for half price, $999.00.

blackraven
03-28-2016, 12:57 PM
I am looking at a Jolida tube phono preamp about $650 or so. I like my current tube phono. Its a cheap Bellari VP-129 that a friend gave me, but I am using a relatively rare Raytheon 1950's tube with the long shiny black plates that really transformed the little preamp. I did not care for the Bellari with any of the other recommended tubes, either too bright or too dull sounding. The Raytheon tube has it all, great dynamics, tight powerful bass, a liquid midrange and a silky smooth top end with just the right amount of warm but not overly so. The sound stage is wide and deep too.

frenchmon
03-29-2016, 07:55 PM
Congrats on the AR LP1!

Raven,,,,the Musical Surroundings will give you more loading options.

Peabody.....I cant understand why anybody would digitize their vinyl...makes no sense to me.

JohnMichael
03-30-2016, 09:07 AM
Congrats on the AR LP1!

Peabody.....I cant understand why anybody would digitize their vinyl...makes no sense to me.

I have transferred some of my vinyl to cd's so I can share or listen to in the car.

Mr Peabody
03-30-2016, 11:07 AM
I'm with you, but the PSA is supposed to be a great phono stage despite the converter, and it's half it's original price.

I'm sure there's conveniences where digitizing might be handy, as JM nentioned or to put your LP tracks on mp3, or like Steven, just to add to his library so he can have easy access.

Congrats on the AR LP1!

02audionoob
03-30-2016, 03:19 PM
I've tried recording a few LPs to digital. They do sound good, but I don't feel a need to get those recordings onto portable media and I don't mind the effort it takes to play the LP.

Mr Peabody
03-31-2016, 08:57 AM
I bought a Numark table with software to record to computer some years back, I wanted to put some favorite tracks on my mp3 player. After a couple tracks I said, forget it. It was too much like work. I used to love making my own cassettes but I'm just not getting into the ripping to computer thing.

topspeed
03-31-2016, 10:22 AM
Nice find, that rack is dead sexy! (calm down, get your heads out of the gutter)

I'll rip some of my vinyl to my iPod simply because I have a lot of music I like on vinyl but want to listen to it at my office, where I have my iPod on perpetual shuffle. Like most, I'm at my office a lot more than I'm home where my turntable is.

dean_martin
04-01-2016, 07:26 AM
I am looking at a Jolida tube phono preamp about $650 or so. I like my current tube phono. Its a cheap Bellari VP-129 that a friend gave me, but I am using a relatively rare Raytheon 1950's tube with the long shiny black plates that really transformed the little preamp. I did not care for the Bellari with any of the other recommended tubes, either too bright or too dull sounding. The Raytheon tube has it all, great dynamics, tight powerful bass, a liquid midrange and a silky smooth top end with just the right amount of warm but not overly so. The sound stage is wide and deep too.

Hey, BR. I have the VP-129 and the Jolida JD9 in my system. The Jolida is a versatile unit. I just switched from a high-output mc to a low-output Audio-Technica AT33EV. I found a chart for the loading switches at audioasylum. If you get the Jolida, pm me and I'll send you the chart. The manual that came with the original JD9 is not very helpful.

blackraven
04-01-2016, 01:42 PM
Hey, BR. I have the VP-129 and the Jolida JD9 in my system. The Jolida is a versatile unit. I just switched from a high-output mc to a low-output Audio-Technica AT33EV. I found a chart for the loading switches at audioasylum. If you get the Jolida, pm me and I'll send you the chart. The manual that came with the original JD9 is not very helpful.

Thanks, how do you like the Jolida? Is it the upgraded version? I am probably about 6 months away from pulling the trigger. I am currently running a Nagaoka MP-200 MM cartridge that has a nice lush midrange with great bass. My TT is a vintage Thorens TD-145 that has be fully restored.

dean_martin
04-01-2016, 04:12 PM
My first gen JD9 is stock except for the tubes. In my system, the Jolida is the preferred phono amp by far. It has loads of gain. I've no desire to upgrade. I've used an Ortofon MC3-Turbo with 3.3mv output since the day I added the JD9 as the Bellari didn't have enough gain after moving my system into a larger room. The JD9 excelled with the high-output mc cart, but I recently realized that cart is way past its life expectancy. About two weeks ago I installed the AT33EV with 0.3mv output. I was concerned that the JD9 might not sound as good in its high gain mode, but I was wrong. I swapped the original tubes for Sovtek 12ax7LPS. I think I'm on my third pair.

blackraven
04-02-2016, 04:03 AM
My first gen JD9 is stock except for the tubes. In my system, the Jolida is the preferred phono amp by far. It has loads of gain. I've no desire to upgrade. I've used an Ortofon MC3-Turbo with 3.3mv output since the day I added the JD9 as the Bellari didn't have enough gain after moving my system into a larger room. The JD9 excelled with the high-output mc cart, but I recently realized that cart is way past its life expectancy. About two weeks ago I installed the AT33EV with 0.3mv output. I was concerned that the JD9 might not sound as good in its high gain mode, but I was wrong. I swapped the original tubes for Sovtek 12ax7LPS. I think I'm on my third pair.

You should try a pair of Raytheon 1950's 12ax7's with the shinny long black plates. It blew away every tube that I tried in the Bellari, even better than NOS Mullards and the Sovteks.

hifitommy
05-27-2016, 10:09 AM
yes, congrats on the move to ARC. i picked up an ARC SP3a1 years ago and was flabbergasted at how MUCH better it sounded than the previous adcom gfp565. the difference was truly night and day. and this all through the perfectly fine ss, 200wpc adcom gfa555II!

i am not the only one running tubes in the pre and ss in the power. the tube goodness is more easily appreciated in the front end. for some reason though, ss does very well in the phono section. there are MANY very fine ss phono preamps. i am tempted to try the schiit mani at $129 as i hear is it VERY good and does MC as well as MM.