Hello everyboy [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyboy

Dario54
03-25-2016, 01:56 PM
Hi,
I just joined this community and I'm into vintage and classic equipment being myself quite vintage.

My first system as teen aher was based on Advent The Loudspeaker + Fisher 405 receiver + AR Turntable with an Empire cartridge.

Today I still have this Fisher but not in use since I listen a system built around my Marantz 2265 (totally recapped), modified Thorens 165 AND CEC 8200, a lot of different cartridges, Classč CDP1 and TASCAM 102 II.

Beside have some 700+ LPs, 2 or 3 hundred CDs, several dozens of cassettes but my main source is the FM radio.

Mr Peabody
03-25-2016, 07:06 PM
Hi, welcome to AR.

Do you still use the Advents?

Dario54
03-26-2016, 04:59 AM
No, gave away some 30 years ago, with tweeters not working...
My Advent were bought in NYC (I lived in Italy back then) and the model was a kind of cheap version, with grey foam grille instead of the regular advertised model, if I remember well in 1972 costed around 85$...
Then I had to downsize my system and used a EV 1144 amplifier with dedicated EV loudspeakers (I think model 5), Thorens 160 with Shure cartridges and a kind of amplified Ampex cassette player.
Then again Fisher and EV speakers, gave away the EVs and found a set of dumped AVID 330 (in late '70 were the top of the line), rewired internally, changed input posts, refoamed the woofers, installed spikes and they are still working flawlessly almost 20 years after founding them in the dump...

Mr Peabody
03-26-2016, 06:45 PM
I'm not familiar with Avid, sounds like a good find though. Advent was big in the 70's. I like the EV pro speakers but haven't heard the home models, if similar I bet they were good.f

thekid
03-27-2016, 03:39 AM
Welcome to AR!
Looks like you have a good system there.
I have run across a couple of pairs of Avids while thrifting. Seemed to be well built. From what I have read they are very similar to EPI speakers from that same time.

Dario54
03-29-2016, 09:40 AM
Looking for infos about AVID Louspeakers, which shared lot of components with same period ARs, I found this site:

My Experience With Sound (http://www.roger-russell.com/mysound/mysound.htm)

where is stated that Mr. Victor Brociner, co-founder of Fisher Audio before WWII, then in mid fifties leaved the Fisher company, established his own company bearing his own name, then became President of HH Scott, to be at the end founder of AVID.

Jim in OH
03-29-2016, 01:44 PM
I am not familiar with the AVIDs but have a pair of Allison 7s purchased in the early 90s (though they may not quite qualify as vintage). Used them mostly with a Harmon/Kardon hk570i and a Bang & Olufsen Beogram 1800 turntable when I first got them. Still have all of this but haven't used it in quite a while. The Allisons were great speakers.