Tres Hombres - Rhino remaster [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Tres Hombres - Rhino remaster

sjtm
02-28-2016, 10:24 AM
First listen to this today. These remasters by Kevin Gray correct the 80's versions that were the only mix available.

I keep a cd player in my M3 track car and have played this album along with Beggars Banquet for years before every practice run. ( both La Grange and Sympathy for the Devil always put me in the right frame of mind). After years of listening to my 80's vintage cd, this remaster is a revelation and PURE pleasure.

Next up - Rio Grande Mud

Mr Peabody
02-28-2016, 08:52 PM
Tres Hombres is an LP I managed to hang onto. I also have Rio Grand on LP, good blues fun on this album but not such a great sound quality. It would be interesting to hear what a remaster would do.

I hated what ZZ Top done to their music. After the success of Eliminator they went back and done all the drum tracks in an attempt to get them sound "up to date" thinking the 80's people who may just become aware of them might buy the old stuff too. They totally messed up the albums in my opinion, I hated that electronic drum sound. I had heard a couple years ago they released a box set of their albums with the original drums back in place.

sjtm
02-29-2016, 02:56 PM
Tres Hombres is an LP I managed to hang onto. I also have Rio Grand on LP, good blues fun on this album but not such a great sound quality. It would be interesting to hear what a remaster would do.

I hated what ZZ Top done to their music. After the success of Eliminator they went back and done all the drum tracks in an attempt to get them sound "up to date" thinking the 80's people who may just become aware of them might buy the old stuff too. They totally messed up the albums in my opinion, I hated that electronic drum sound. I had heard a couple years ago they released a box set of their albums with the original drums back in place.

My guess is you would enjoy these re-issues - the sound is crisp clean and sounds like 3 guys playing their instruments.

unleasHell
03-05-2016, 06:37 AM
I like their first three release the best as well, don't listen to them all that often, but def. worth having some of their stuff.

Does the Rhino version have any extra material? As memory serves me, Tres Hombres clocked in at something like 33 minutes...