Paradigm vs Velodyne [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Paradigm vs Velodyne

robotec
04-28-2004, 08:50 PM
I'm considering buying either the Paradigm PDR 10 or the Velodyne CHT-10. Are these comparable subs? Which one would you choose?

3db
04-29-2004, 04:17 AM
When I was audtioning for subs, I looked at the PDR10. It did OK for music but felt it was rather anemic for HT purposes. I ended up PSB's Subsonic 5 and never looked back. Good luck !!

kexodusc
04-30-2004, 03:43 AM
My mom and dad have the PSB Subsonic 5. I'd say it's every bit as good as the PDR-10 or the CHT-10, but definitely not any better. If I were you I'd try putting your money towards a used sub off of ebay or something. The most important part of the sub really is the amplifier...you want some power behind those bass signals. Buying used might stretch your dollar a bit further.
If you insist on buying used, I personally find the CHT-10 to be a bit too boomy for any music setup, but terrific for HT. The PDR-10 is probably a bit more balanced and accurate. Same with subsonic 5. To be honest they're all so close though I don't think it matters...go with whatever is cheapest.
Just my opinion...You'll have to demo them yourself and arrive at your own conclusions.

NickWH
04-30-2004, 11:17 AM
It is really hard to make an accurate recommendation on a subwoofer, because the crossover point you use and the room it will be used in are such crucial pieces to the final sound. I had a Velodyne CT-100 (predecessor to the CHT-10) and found it to be an excellent sub for the money. It is slot-loaded, so you don't get the port noise at high outputs like other designs. For a bass-reflex sub, I thought the bass was decently "fast" and the impact was free of the sloppy thumps you hear on some cheaper models. The amplifier never ran out of juice, and I never heard it bottom out. I found that I had to turn the volume up a little bit on movies vs. music, but that was my only complaint.

Try to audtion both subs in the same room, if possible, to get a good idea as to each's strengths and/or weakness.

sugarrenae
04-30-2004, 12:14 PM
I'm considering buying either the Paradigm PDR 10 or the Velodyne CHT-10. Are these comparable subs? Which one would you choose?
I have a friend who has a pdr-10 and it sounds very good for ht and audio, lacks a little volume. I auditioned the pdr-12 and the pw-2100. I purchased the pw-2100 hands down. Also the pw-2100 wasn't that much more and more powerful amp. Paid $550 in rosenut.

kexodusc
04-30-2004, 01:56 PM
The PW -2100 is in a whole 'nuther league of subwoofers than the PDR-10. How big a room are we talking here? In a dorm, apartment, or mid size living room, the PDR-10 or CHT-10 is probably sufficient.
Really, ROBOTEC (cool name btw, brings back memories) you should try to demo a sub in-home to help you determine your needs...do you know anyone with a sub? Will your dealers loan one to you, or allow full money back refund?
Don't worry about a sub that matching with your speakers, it's not the same as timbre matching, etc.
Determine what you need in terms of power, and how much you can spend...then go from there.

oakley#36
05-01-2004, 11:54 AM
The PW -2100 is in a whole 'nuther league of subwoofers than the PDR-10. How big a room are we talking here? In a dorm, apartment, or mid size living room, the PDR-10 or CHT-10 is probably sufficient.
Really, ROBOTEC (cool name btw, brings back memories) you should try to demo a sub in-home to help you determine your needs...do you know anyone with a sub? Will your dealers <A TITLE="Click for more information about loan" STYLE="text-decoration: none; border-bottom: medium solid green;" HREF="http://search.targetwords.com/u.search?x=5977|1||||loan|AA1VDw">loan</A> one to you, or allow full money back refund?
Don't worry about a sub that matching with your speakers, it's not the same as timbre matching, etc.
Determine what you need in terms of power, and how much you can spend...then go from there.
I WOULD AGREE W/ KEXO ON THIS ONE THE PW2100 IS IN A DIFFERENT LEAGUE. I HAVE THE PDR10 IN MY SMALL SYSTEM W/ POLK 6700 SATS AND IT SOUNDS GREAT FOR $300. THE WATTAGE IS CLOSE TO THE VELODYNE, BOTH SUBS ARE MADE BY COMPANIES THAT KNOW A THING OR TWO ABOUT SUBS. I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE VELO SELLS FOR BUT IF YOU CAN GET EITHER FOR <$300 I'D DO IT.