TV audio? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : TV audio?

Dooger
02-28-2016, 09:44 AM
I have a Denon AVR-884 running my 5.1 garage TV set up. I have a decent TV 20' coaxial cable going from the audio out to my TV input on the receive. My question is why is the tuner an CD volume levels so much louder at lower volume levels then the TV setting for which sounds great for quality but I have to turn it way up over the other audio volume levels to get it to come into good sounding levels. Any basic reason for this or the length of my TV audio cable causing this?

All my TV theater set ups in my house use HDMI cables an all functions TV, DVD,CD sound like the same volume level when switching between them an wounded if it's the HDMI over my coaxial cable garage set up causing the lack of volume? I don't want to be watching TV at a high volume level an then someone switches to tuner an blows the speakers. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

blackraven
02-28-2016, 02:56 PM
It probably has to do with the Gain of the signal from the CD player and tuner. I assume you are using RCA connections from those as opposed to a digital signal from the TV. Even if you are using an analog connection from the TV, the out put of the TV may be lower, hence the lower volume.

Mr Peabody
02-28-2016, 08:27 PM
Blackraven is on to something.

Sounds like you are using a digital connection from the TV, so you have to go into the Denon's setup menu to set the speaker volume. If your Denon has an auto speaker set up I'd recommend using that. You'll have a provided microphone that plugs into the Denon so it can hear tones that will come through your speakers during the set up.

If you do not have auto set up you'll have to do this manually. Select the speaker set up, then you'll have to follow the menu to get things started. You want to hear noise like a tuner not tuned to a station "white noise". Then as example it will say "left front", or some may do left/right together but you move the volume button to a desired level, then toggle from speaker to speaker until they sound about the same volume from where you sit.. To get a real good set up you'd need a dB sound meter but I suspect for a garage you can get close enough by ear.

Mr Peabody
02-28-2016, 08:39 PM
To clarify, once the speaker set up gets going the Denon will send this "white noise" sound to the highlighted speaker on the screen. So if on screen your center speaker is highlighted you should hear the sound from that speaker. Move the volume, using your remote, you'll see the levels change on screen, get it to the loudness you want, then toggle to the surrounds, make them the same level as the center, then the fronts, same level as the rest, and so on. You will use the arrow or cross bar on your remote to do this, not the actual volume control. Once you are satisfied all sound equal to you, save the settings and exit the set up. Now your regular volume control will work as normal. You might want to listen to the tuner first to get a feel for the loudness to go for so when done hopefully they are pretty close for you.

If you still have your manual you can take a look under speaker set up, sometimes there are some decent illustrations. Denon's manuals haven't been so good in my experience but hopefully that's improved. Good luck, and have a cup of patience :)

Blackraven is on to something.

Sounds like you are using a digital connection from the TV, so you have to go into the Denon's setup menu to set the speaker volume. If your Denon has an auto speaker set up I'd recommend using that. You'll have a provided microphone that plugs into the Denon so it can hear tones that will come through your speakers during the set up.

If you do not have auto set up you'll have to do this manually. Select the speaker set up, then you'll have to follow the menu to get things started. You want to hear noise like a tuner not tuned to a station "white noise". Then as example it will say "left front", or some may do left/right together but you move the volume button to a desired level, then toggle from speaker to speaker until they sound about the same volume from where you sit.. To get a real good set up you'd need a dB sound meter but I suspect for a garage you can get close enough by ear.

Dooger
02-29-2016, 04:33 AM
Thank you all for the thoughts an taking the time to post an help out. I'll give these a try. Cheers

Dooger
03-06-2016, 12:36 PM
I worked on this an no improvements. Looked in the TV settings. Also did the speaker tone balance on the Denon an no difference. Using a 25' gold RCA cable from TV to the monitor hook up per the Denon manual. Not sure if there is still a setting or adjustment I'm missing or if the two signals for TV an radio are just different an live with it? Just weird how radio or CD will be at like #40 on my volume but if turn to TV choice will have to turn up to #20 to get sound out. Sounds good just not sure why the power difference.

blackraven
03-06-2016, 02:43 PM
Dooger, I looked up the manual of your Denon. If you are using the Digital out from your TV to the a digital input of the receiver, you can adjust the volume coming out of the speakers. Also, do you have the volume out from your TV set to variable or fixed volume? See page 25 and 43 of the manual.

In addition as I stated in an earlier post, different sources have different gain that they out put. My TT and my DAC have different levels of loudness at the same volume number on my preamp. My preamp does allow me to adjust the volume for each in/out if I want to equalize the volume for each.

Mr Peabody
03-06-2016, 02:50 PM
to my knowledge "variable output volume" doesn't work for digital, only analog.

blackraven
03-06-2016, 02:58 PM
to my knowledge "variable output volume" doesn't work for digital, only analog.

You may be right. I have to check that with my AVR.

Dooger
03-11-2016, 03:57 PM
Hi blackraven, thanks for the info. I did go thru all these steps in the past an they both allow me to set the volume levels for each speaker source. My issue is I have the speakers set for volume/tone levels. I can be listening to the radio at like 40 (all the way down on volume starts at 70 as I go up it counts down in #) on my volume level. If I turn my selection to TV you don't hear anything until I crack it up to 18. Sounds clear an not over powering but how do I get the volume levels to balance some what? My issue is I know the drill but if I have my wife cone out an switch from TV dial to radio she's going to blast herself out or blow the speakers. None of my other home theater set ups do this in the house from TV, CD, radio. Now those all have HDMI so this garage set up is a nice after marker 25' RCA from TV to monitor on reciever so maybe the cable set up is the issue?