Subwoofer For Main System [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer For Main System

bfalls
02-24-2016, 06:36 AM
I'm in the market for a new sub. I have a main system which includes Legacy Focus Mains, Silver Screen center, Emotiva ERD-1 side and rear surrounds. Components are OPPO-93 CD/BD, Emotiva UMC-200 pre/pro, Emotiva XPA-5 amp. I'm replacing an Audio Concepts Saturn sub with 2 12" woofers in a compound configuration (push-pull). The surrounds deteriorated on the sub's AC-12 woofers, so I want to replace it. I'm looking at SVS's PB-2000 or SB-2000. Of course they want me to buy their higher-end models, but don't have the cash right now and they offer an upgrade within the first year. My room is roughly 12'x25'. My Focus have 3 12" woofer each, so I have them running full-range, but still need some UUMMPPHH. It seems my choices are between the fast and articulate SB-2000 or the more powerful, efficient, but more difficult room placement. Anyone with Legacy Focus speakers have any experience with the SVS subs?

I've also read about the Rythmik subs seemed very interesting, especially the direct servo control. I'm very apprehensive about paper woofers, not with just these, but others as well. With this type of power and excursion how do these hold up?

I've also checked out HSU which also seems to have good choices in my price range, especially the ULS-15 MK2. I've enjoyed the bass I had with the Saturn's 12" drivers, so felt a 15" should go a little deeper. Also in my price range.

All have good choices in my range, but SVS allows a 45 day return policy and will also pay for the return. Any thoughts and experiences would be helpful.

Hyfi
02-24-2016, 07:51 AM
see this thread on Rythmik

http://forums.audioreview.com/speakers/rythmik-sub-fans-41123.html

blackraven
02-24-2016, 09:56 AM
A friend of mine has a Rhythmik F12 sub with the Aluminum driver paired with his Magnepan 1.7's. The sub sounds great and musical. No boom or muddiness. Very controlled deep bass which integrates well. Personally, I do not like paper drivers. My friend talked directly with Rhythmic and they recommended the Aluminum driver to pair with his Magnepans. Rhythmiks easily compete with subs costing hundreds more. The only reason I did not buy one is because a found a great deal on a used Martin Logan that was too good to turn down. If I decide to upgrade, it will be with a Rhythmik.

I own a Martin Logan Original Dynamo sub, 10". It also has nice tight musical bass. Sounded better than any REL or Velodyne sub I heard selling for $1200 or less. It integrates well with my Maggies.

I have also heard the SVS SB 2000 sealed sub at Best Buy. Awesome sub for the price. Tight and musical. I don't think that there is a better sub for the price.

I prefer sealed subs for their tighter bass, especially for music.

3db
02-24-2016, 12:10 PM
I have Rythmik's entry level sub, the LV12-R which is a ported box sporting a 12" paper cone driver. You would not be to tell that its ported or that the driver is paper cone just by listening to it. I run it 3db hotter than what YAPO set it too becuase the bass is just that clean and tight. I would not get hung up on what the driver material is made of. Rythmik knows what they are doing.

Mr Peabody
02-24-2016, 03:09 PM
I am a SVS fanboy due to being absolutely happy and impressed with my PC13 Ultra. I paid the same money for it as I did the Velodyne it replaced, the SVS was so much superior I couldn't believe it. It's a true "sub" tuned at 20Hz and by plugging the ports it can go even lower. I have no doubt you'd be happy the model you're looking at. My room is about 14x24 and large open doorway in the back, it pressurizes the room fine, you can feel it in your body, intense in movies like Saint Andrea's Fault and the like. Besides a free audition, what's to lose.

I really like the results from aluminum woofers. If a paper cone is highly efficient it will actually outlast some of the space age cone material as the paper don't have a surround to pull away and being high efficient the cone barely moves. If you've ever seen a Klipsch with paper drivers or a pro driver you'll notice the large woofer is hardly moving.

My friend is a Legacy user and the best sub he had was JL Audio. He currently uses Legacy subs but I think out of loyalty or consistency, my opinion there is better. Cool you have Legacy, that center is killer. My friend had Focus SE's but recently popped for the V's. But this reduced his system components so he can sell somethings. I digress, LOL

bfalls
02-25-2016, 07:25 AM
No fans for HSU. Prices seem competitive. I've also heard the Legacy subs. I think the're impressive, but over-priced and definitely not in my budget. Saw a couple of Legacy Deep Impact subs for $600/$700. I was interested until I thought about shipping. Too heavy. Right now I'm leaning towards the Rythmik. I like the idea of the servo control, but still not 100% decided.

blackraven
02-25-2016, 09:39 AM
No fans for HSU. Prices seem competitive. I've also heard the Legacy subs. I think the're impressive, but over-priced and definitely not in my budget. Saw a couple of Legacy Deep Impact subs for $600/$700. I was interested until I thought about shipping. Too heavy. Right now I'm leaning towards the Rythmik. I like the idea of the servo control, but still not 100% decided.

You can't go wrong with the Rhythmik. I don't think that you could do any better unless you spend $1500 or more. There are many options for it as well with balanced connections, a PEQ and others.

bfalls
02-26-2016, 09:42 AM
If I go with Rythmik it would probably be either the L22 for it's smaller footprint, or the LVX12. Both have roughly the same output although the L22 has 600W and the LVX12 400W. Now to get the wife to sign off. I may need to contact Doctor Phil for advise there. I've searched the web for reviews, but found only a few. Any here have an L22 and would like to share their experience?