Newbie with a question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with a question

Linnman
02-17-2016, 10:37 AM
Hi all,

just dug my old turntables and receivers out....getting back into vinyl.

I have 2 Linn LP12 turntables, a LUXMAN 530 amp and a LUXMAN tuner.

I was wondering what speakers would work best with this set up. Also is an amp necessary?

Thanks
Chas

Feanor
02-17-2016, 11:18 AM
Hi all,

just dug my old turntables and receivers out....getting back into vinyl.

I have 2 Linn LP12 turntables, a LUXMAN 530 amp and a LUXMAN tuner.

I was wondering what speakers would work best with this set up. Also is an amp necessary?

Thanks
Chas

Your Luxman L-530 (which I assume is the one pictured below) is a very nice vintage amp with built-in phono preamp; it has enough power to drive virtually any speaker in a medium sized room, possibly excepting a few very low, (less than 4 ohm), impedance models.

What are phono cartridge (or cartridges) have you got with the Linn LP12's?

As for speakers, you can choose from amongst a large selection of modern speakers. I'd look at PSB models first, but there are plenty of other good makes. What's you budget?

http://audio-database.com/LUXMANALPINE-LUXMAN/amp/l-530x.JPG

Linnman
02-17-2016, 11:39 AM
Feanor thats the correct amp I have.......
The cartridges are ASAKA

No budget really on the speakers.......I have an older set of wharfedales but thought Id try something different.

Chas

frenchmon
02-18-2016, 04:55 AM
Nice amp as well as Turntables. Do you have the psu for the tables as well? IF I where you...with the Luxman as well as the Linn tables, I'd be looking at PMC speakers.....that would be a killer set up. And if you have no budget, I would look at PMC Fact 8 or 12's or better still , the SE series. https://pmc-speakers.com/products/consumer/se-series

Here is the fact 8.

https://pmc-speakers.com/sites/default/files/fact8-01.jpg

Mr Peabody
02-18-2016, 07:45 PM
The LP12 is a classic table and still well regarded. You do need an amp. The phono stage to amplify the low level signal of the turntable and then the amplification needed to drive a set of speakers.

There is such a wide range of speakers out there and so much of your choice will be what sound appeals to you. Type of music played, sie of your room, would you want stand mount or floorstanding, all of these are considerations. However, if you knew a brand you liked it would most likely provide something in the other considerations range.

Linnman
02-19-2016, 05:33 AM
Mr Peabody
so your saying I need an amp + my Luxman 530?

blackraven
02-19-2016, 10:11 AM
No, you do not need a phono preamp as the Luxman has one built in. If you want better sound you could buy a higher end phono preamp. That Luxman is a beautiful piece. I have a vintage Luxman T-110 tuner and a new Luxman DA-06 DAC, both quality pieces.

If you buy new speakers they need to be 8ohm from what I have read. but probably could get by with 6ohm.

Linnman
02-19-2016, 10:15 AM
No, you do not need a phono preamp as the Luxman has one built in. If you want better sound you could buy a higher end phono preamp. That Luxman is a beautiful piece. I have a vintage Luxman T-110 tuner and a new Luxman DA-06 DAC, both quality pieces.

If you buy new speakers they need to be 8ohm from what I have read. but probably could get by with 6ohm.

thanks Blackraven,.I like the old stuff too much LOL
Just picked up a pair of JBL 4311 speakers.
My warfedales are nice but I think the JBLs will help.

Mr Peabody
02-19-2016, 12:44 PM
as Blackraven stated your 530 has everything you need, I was responding to your original post and I may have misunderstood what you meant. With the JBL you should have a nice set up.

Linnman
02-26-2016, 07:05 AM
wow wow
I hooked up my new JBL 4311's and they sound wonderful!!

hifitommy
03-25-2016, 11:53 AM
how about a mix of vintage and modrn? the ELAC B-series, which are TREMENDOUS bargains. even the little B5s go deep in bass (for their size) and on to the 6 and beyond.
you won't be sorry.