Star Wars: The Force Awakens.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars: The Force Awakens....

Worf101
02-13-2016, 03:28 PM
Finally saw it last weekend. Let me see, I saw the original while on leave from the Army back in the day.... loved it, clapped and cheered when I left the theatre. 5 minutes into this one I had a strong feeling of deja vu. 1. Large Imperial Battleship.... check! 2. Assault by Stormtroopers.... Check! 3. Hidden information wanted by said S.T.'s... check! 4. Appearance of hooded black clad bad guy.... check! 4. Desert planet.... check! 5. Disaffected youngster longing for a better/different life.... check! 6. Droids containing sought after information winds up with kid.... check! 7. Kid winds up on Millennium Falcon.... check! 8. Wise older father figure takes kid under wing.... Check! 9. Too many other similarities to mention.... Check! (hell they even had ANOTHER bar scene!!!!) 10. 30 year old fighter designs destroy Weapon of Mass destruction... Check! 11. Hero flies off to unknown next adventure.... check! I think you catch my drift! Yawn... I was bored... puddin' was bored as was most of the audience... small smattering of applause. Sorry, I was hoping this one would rock my socks off like it seems to have done everyone else here... but it didn't. Sorry. Worf

Jack in Wilmington
02-13-2016, 05:16 PM
Worf, I think you waited too long to see it. When we went at the end of Dec. there was an energy in the theater that revved you up with anticipation. You needed some of that repetition to tie the two stories together or we would have wound up with something like episode 1 again. Watch the Super Bowl in April and see if it has the same appeal.

thekid
02-14-2016, 05:26 AM
The problem with all reboot movies is that they all have to reference the earlier story and tie the new characters to the universe of the reboot. This always results in a fair amount of redundancy.

I knew there was going to be a lot repetition in this movie but for me the fun was going to it with my kids who never saw the original Star Wars in the theater so this was the next best thing.

Feanor
02-14-2016, 05:51 AM
Don't blame you for being bored, Worfster. The Force Awakens was formulaic and déjà vu all over again. I rated it 3/5*, at most.

Worf101
02-14-2016, 08:45 AM
You know having read the glowing reviews on other boards... I think WHEN you saw the original and how makes a big difference in how you see this film. I saw it as an adult, who'd read Sci-Fi and fantasy all his life. It blew my mind, I'd never seen anything like it. It fulfilled so many fantasies I had for so long. But I was an adult and soldier. Had I seen the film as a child I think the current film might've been more entertaining. The most glowing reviews I've read have been from folks who'd seen the original as children.... That's the only thing that might explain my complete boredom and disappointment.

Worf

Jack in Wilmington
02-14-2016, 10:10 AM
You know having read the glowing reviews on other boards... I think WHEN you saw the original and how makes a big difference in how you see this film. I saw it as an adult, who'd read Sci-Fi and fantasy all his life. It blew my mind, I'd never seen anything like it. It fulfilled so many fantasies I had for so long. But I was an adult and soldier. Had I seen the film as a child I think the current film might've been more entertaining. The most glowing reviews I've read have been from folks who'd seen the original as children.... That's the only thing that might explain my complete boredom and disappointment.

Worf

I grew up with Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon and later Lost in Space and Star Trek, so how could I be disappointed with Star Wars? Maybe if you compare it to Star Wars. I was 28 when I saw the original in 1977.

Feanor
02-14-2016, 11:10 AM
I grew up with Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon and later Lost in Space and Star Trek, so how could I be disappointed with Star Wars? Maybe if you compare it to Star Wars. I was 28 when I saw the original in 1977.

I think maybe you nailed it, Jack. Compared to Star Wars, one is likely to be disappointed; ("déjà vu all over again").

To feel too old: I was 32 when I saw Star Wars: A New Hope in 1977.

dean_martin
02-16-2016, 12:50 PM
Good Gawd! How did you old farts ever learn to use a computer? For reals though, I was 9 when the original came out - those first 3 are all the Star Wars I'll need. Loved'em. Wish I still had my action figures.

BTW, Polaroid is bringing back Super8mm FILM!

Jack in Wilmington
02-16-2016, 03:50 PM
Good Gawd! How did you old farts ever learn to use a computer? For reals though, I was 9 when the original came out - those first 3 are all the Star Wars I'll need. Loved'em. Wish I still had my action figures.

Your loss Deano. That's like saying all I need are the first three Rush albums. Or whoever trips your trigger.

dean_martin
02-16-2016, 04:28 PM
I was being harsh. I'm a little curious about the latest effort. I'll eventually see it on a movie channel. It was Episode I that made me cynical.

Jack in Wilmington
02-16-2016, 06:21 PM
I was being harsh. I'm a little curious about the latest effort. I'll eventually see it on a movie channel. It was Episode I that made me cynical.

I actually enjoyed Episode I. Sure it was full of plot holes and annoying characters, but we got to see Luke's and Leia's parents as children and many questions got answered.

Feanor
02-17-2016, 05:27 AM

I'll have you know I was the first on our block with a PC at home; BTW, that was 1984.

The first three Star Wars were the only ones worth watching, IMO.

Feanor
02-17-2016, 05:34 AM
I actually enjoyed Episode I. Sure it was full of plot holes and annoying characters, but we got to see Luke's and Leia's parents as children and many questions got answered.

Episode I would have been a lot more plausible if Anakin Skywalker had been 12 or 14 years old insteads of 8, and for that matter, Queen Amidala had by 18 instead of 14, BUT were that the case they would have sold so many action figures to the younger kids.

Let's not kid ourselves: that was the calculation.