Sub on a budget... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sub on a budget...

Lord Nikon
04-28-2004, 07:00 PM
I am not interested in DIY's, but I am open to used subs if need be. My limit is $500 for the product. If you have some suggestions on brands/models I need to look at your opinions appreciated.

paul_pci
04-28-2004, 08:04 PM
I am not interested in DIY's, but I am open to used subs if need be. My limit is $500 for the product. If you have some suggestions on brands/models I need to look at your opinions appreciated.

That's a pretty good budget for a sub. The usual suspects are Velodyne, HSU, and SVS, but the latter two are direct internet sales only and are hard to audition.

Bryan
04-29-2004, 05:32 AM
Room size?

One possibility is the VMPS New Original Subwoofer (http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?homesubw&1086627129) if you have something other than your primary receiver available to power it with. Other possibilities would be the HSU VTF-2 or Adire Audio Rava but those are without knowing your room size.

Lord Nikon
04-29-2004, 09:29 AM
I currently do not know the room size, but I will find out for you.

Lord Nikon
05-04-2004, 07:48 AM
I am using Ascend Acoustics CBM-170's... the room is 17x19. Listening position is 11" from the center channel to the middle of the couch. :) I sure hope this helps with your sub suggestions. Are my CBM-170s good enough for that size room also?

Bryan
05-04-2004, 08:03 AM
The Ascends are excellent for the room and you should be happy with them for years to come. However, I do have a problem with the 11" from couch to center. Ain't that a bit close? ;) Looks like the VTF-2 is right up your alley or a used or B-stock Rocket UFW-10 (if you can find one) will fit the bill.

Lord Nikon
05-04-2004, 08:09 AM
Well... 11' from center channel to front of couch. I can only move the couch back another 6" tops. My mains are about 5" closer than the center. :( The way the room is set up, I can only move the couch back another 6". I can move the tv stand up to the same distance as the mains, but then that would make 5" closer. It is a tough room to setup and I don't think there is another way. :\ How far idealy should these speakers be?

Lord Nikon
05-04-2004, 08:37 AM
I meant 11' from the couch. Sorry, not 11". :) Is 11' too close also? :\

Bryan
05-04-2004, 11:05 AM
I knew you meant 11' but was just giving you a hard time about it. :) Rule of thumb, if memory serves, is the distance between you, the speakers, and the mains should form an equalateral triangle, i.e. if it is 8' from you to the mains the mains should be 8' apart. I wouldn't move anything if your happy with the way it sounds now.

Lord Nikon
05-04-2004, 11:13 AM
Considering I went from crap speakers to good speakers of course I am happy with the sound. Surely I would be happier if I knew what it SHOULD sound like. I created another thread about my speaker positioning. Looks like furniture will be a moving. :)