Strange Audio Problem [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Strange Audio Problem

Capndad
01-09-2016, 04:28 PM
Hi,
This is my first post, so if it's in the wrong place, don't hesitate to let me know. My 2 channel system is a McIntosh MA6300 running 2 Focal Chorus 720 loudspeakers. I listen to CD's, (Rotel) Vinyl (Linn)and stream music from the web via an Audio Engine Sender/Receiver.
About 1 year ago I started to notice that every so often, (not every time I listen) one of the channels (the issue doesn't seem to favor left or right) would start cutting in and out, or producing static like noise. I checked banana plugs and connections on the back of the Mac and the Focals, tightened everything up, moved the wireless receiver away from the rest of the system,and things seemed to get better.
But it wasn't fixed. The problem continued to happen off and on, but without any rhyme or reason. Then it would just go away.
I took the MA6300 in for repair, and of course they ran the system for 4 days straight with no issue. Brought it home, and it ran without the issue for about 7-8 months. then last week it started again.
I'm now thinking I'll start eliminating gear from the system so that I only run bare bones CD's and Vinyl. The problem is that if that doesn't help, the system could still run for months and then show up sometime down the road.
If anyone has suggestions of any kind I'd appreciate it. My brain is fried with just trying to figure this out.
Cheers,
Cap

blackraven
01-09-2016, 04:35 PM
Capndad, I would post that here-

The Lab (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=20.0)

I think that you will get a lot of responses from a lot of qualified audio engineers.
I hope this helps.

Larry

Capndad
01-10-2016, 08:32 AM
Capndad, I would post that here-

The Lab (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=20.0)

I think that you will get a lot of responses from a lot of qualified audio engineers.
I hope this helps.

Larry

Thanks Larry. Very kind of you.

Cap

Mr Peabody
01-10-2016, 08:11 PM
does the problem happen on all your sources or just the Bluetooth receiver?

intermittent issues are the worst.

If it's from all sources it would almost have to be an amp issue. If Mac uses any microprocessing in the amp, like preamp section, it may be it's just needing an occasional reset which can be done by unplugging the amp for several seconds. This could be why it didn't do anything in the shop and worked for so long without the issue returning for you.

Capndad
01-11-2016, 07:53 AM
Thanks Mr Peabody. I believe the issue lies with the Balance pot since I was able to make the problem worse yesterday by turning the knob back and forth a few times. And because I don't want to apply more than one fix at a time, today I'll get a can of DeoxIT and work on the pot. We'll see how long that lasts, if it works.

Thanks for the post,

Cap

Capndad
01-14-2016, 07:20 PM
So I finally got a can of contact cleaner and took a shot at cleaning the balance pot today. But after listening for about an hour, the problem came back. I'm gonna take another crack at the cleaning since the pot doesn't look like I expected it to. (i.e. no holes in which to spray the cleaner.)

Anyone know what kind of pot McIntosh used in the MA6300. If I knew that, I could find out how to clean it properly.

Here's another clue. When I recycle the power (Turn it off and on) the problem is gone, and stays gone!!

Thanks to all for the great replies.

Cap

blackraven
01-14-2016, 07:29 PM
Give McIntosh service a call and maybe they can help