Bowie's Blackstar [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bowie's Blackstar

Finch Platte
01-04-2016, 04:42 PM
Really looking forward to picking this up Friday. Anybutty else?

ForeverAutumn
01-04-2016, 07:48 PM
Bowie is, of course, an autobuy for me. I'll pick up Backstar either on the weekend or with my next Amazon order. I really liked The Next Day. But the song he released in 2014, Sue, was a piece of crap IMO. Blackstar better be more like The Next Day than like Sue.

Finch Platte
01-05-2016, 11:13 AM
Bowie is, of course, an autobuy for me. I'll pick up Backstar either on the weekend or with my next Amazon order. I really liked The Next Day. But the song he released in 2014, Sue, was a piece of crap IMO. Blackstar better be more like The Next Day than like Sue.

Check my post out:Bowie fans, Mojo & Uncut mags have him on the cover | Steve Hoffman Music Forums (http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/bowie-fans-mojo-uncut-mags-have-him-on-the-cover.490768/#post-13581401)

nobody
01-05-2016, 02:40 PM
Already pre-ordered it on the basis of the video released for the title track. One of the first things he's done in years to really catch my interest, although I did enjoy the cover art on his last one.

Finch Platte
01-05-2016, 03:14 PM
...Although I did enjoy the cover art on his last one.

Whu whu what? Why?

nobody
01-07-2016, 07:49 AM
Hard to really say, but the nod to the past and the update made me smile a bit. I liked the overall clean look of the thing despite it being a couple things mashed together and I can't say I didn't enjoy it bothering people a bit.

Stone
01-07-2016, 12:15 PM
One of the first things he's done in years to really catch my interest.

This.

nobody
01-08-2016, 06:47 AM
By the way, I've been blasting this all morning and it really does kick ass.

dean_martin
01-08-2016, 10:12 AM
By the way, I've been blasting this all morning and it really does kick ass.

Heard part of a review regarding a Bowie release on NPR. They were talking about Bowie using jazz musicians. Is this the one?

nobody
01-08-2016, 01:26 PM
Yeah, but I think it sounds a lot less "jazzy" than I have seen some reviews note. Mostly, if you've seen the Blackstar video, that's the sound of the album, although perhaps a bit milder in parts. So if you thought that was jazzy, you'll find the album to sound like jazz. Personally, I think it was more or less he got a group of jazz musicians, who are excellent musicians, and worked to create more of a new sound than anything resembling most jazz I've heard. Then again, maybe there's another jazz offshoot I need to hear.

Finch Platte
01-08-2016, 11:58 PM
Lol, I totally forgot to pick this up.

Derrrrrrr.