New advice needed [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New advice needed

spudnick
01-02-2016, 08:00 AM
Purchased a system. I have a Marantz 7701 pre amp, a Marantz MM7025 5 channel amp. considering adding a 2 channel amp to go from a 5.1 to a 7.1 surround sound. I know of the MM7025 (800 bucks). Looking for a very good, less expensive 2 channel amp that will hook up to my system and run the 2 additional surround sound speakers. Thanks, Brad

blackraven
01-02-2016, 09:03 AM
here is an option-

https://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/xpa-200

MARANTZ MM7025 2 Channel Power Amplifier | Accessories4less (http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marmm7025/marantz-mm7025-2-channel-power-amplifier/1.html#!specifications)

Check Audiogon for used power amps.

https://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-rotel-rb-1050-amplifier-2015-12-15-amplifiers-53209-milwaukee-wi

https://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-adcom-gfa-555-200-wpc-at-8-ohms-2015-12-19-amplifiers-11050-2468-port-washington-ny

spudnick
01-02-2016, 01:23 PM
blackraven. All look like very good choices, thank you. Guess the next question would be is the money worth the 5.1 to 7.1 sound improvement?

blackraven
01-02-2016, 01:45 PM
blackraven. All look like very good choices, thank you. Guess the next question would be is the money worth the 5.1 to 7.1 sound improvement?

I was running 3.1 but switched to 2.1 as I like things simple so I am not the guy to ask. My main focus is 2ch audio. I tried 5.1 and I was not wowed and returned the rear speakers. But it you are the type of guy that likes hearing all the special effects coming from all sides then go for it.

I would rather put the money to better 5.1 speakers to pair with the excellent Marantz gear that you bought.

harley .guy07
01-02-2016, 04:39 PM
I run a 5.1 system and would agree that spending more on making your 5.1 channel system great is worth way more than adding 2 more channels to make a normal system 7.1. I think the quality over quantity rule plays here

spudnick
01-02-2016, 05:14 PM
I run a 5.1 system and would agree that spending more on making your 5.1 channel system great is worth way more than adding 2 more channels to make a normal system 7.1. I think the quality over quantity rule plays here

Klipsch speakers are not quality? What do you suggest I upgrade to improve what I have?

blackraven
01-02-2016, 06:22 PM
Klipsch makes some nice speakers depending upon the model. Generally the more you spend on speakers the better the sound. But speakers as most of audio are very subjective and they are the most important part of a system along with the music source. You really need to hit up some audio stores and bring some music that you like to listen to and audition lots of speakers. If you have a Best Buy Magnolia store near you, they carry B&W, Sonus Faber, Martin Logan to name a few. They also carry Marantz gear so that you can hear the speakers with your gear. If you have some high end stores, hit them up

Mr Peabody
01-02-2016, 09:42 PM
Whether going 5.1 to 7.1 really depends on the size of your room. If it's medium to small you probably won't get much difference. A large room or long room 7.1 could benefit. Really though it's hard to say, as you can see it's subjective. I have a friend who had what I'd consider a smallish living room, medium at best, and he crammed a 9.2 system in there. It was like sitting in a headphone, LOL.

Which Klipsch Reference do you have? Is it one of the newer versions with the gold, or is it silver, cones? Those are actually pretty good. And, if you enjoy the Klipsch sound, nothing else will replace it. Unless moving into something like JBL Synthesis. I say that because JBL Synthesis uses horns and compression drivers however they don't sound like Klipsch, JBL is like moving up to an entire new level of performance. How large a move depends on which series of Synthesis.

If down the road you did want to upgrade speakers your electronics are up to the task. What to upgrade to would depend on budget and taste. Listening in a store is better than nothing but it's still not much help as to how it would sound with your gear and room. The thing is if you find a speaker that provides more detail or some other attribute better than your current speaker but you really don't find the speaker engaging, it's really not an upgrade, to you.

harley .guy07
01-03-2016, 09:14 AM
Klipsch speakers are not quality? What do you suggest I upgrade to improve what I have?

I was not trying to say that Klipsch is bad quality. I was just saying that 5.1 can be just fine with the right setup and speakers and I have heard plenty of systems with 5.1 that sounded better than other 7.1 systems I have heard.

by all means if you want 7.1 go for it and would suggest looking at some of the amps listed above and also look on Audiogon for used amps as well. Adcom, Parasound, Rotel are all good quality amps for the used price and can be found for a low price as well.

harley .guy07
01-03-2016, 09:17 AM
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-adcom-gfa-5300-2015-12-14-amplifiers-30534-juno-ga

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-rotel-rb-1050-amplifier-2015-12-15-amplifiers-53209-milwaukee-wi

these are just examples of what is out there that are of good quality and low price

spudnick
01-03-2016, 12:39 PM
Hey guys, great ideas and information. Purchased a Emotiva XPA-2 to run my Klipsch RF-7II. I will use the 7055 to run center, sides and back. Love the Klipsch reference series for there looks and music ability. Love the bass punch at very hi volume. That is why I went for such a large Sub. HSU sub's are the ****. I listen to music about 75% of the time.

So, last night I thought I purchased a second set of the RS-52II's. Received a e mail this morning that they no longer have and I should buy a set of RP-250s speakers. Guess I'm back to square 1. Need some ideas for sides and back for the 7.1 set up. I do have the set of RS-52II. Should I keep them and add ? Sell them and get 4 of ? Been told by Klipsch support to keep surrounds the same. Brad

Mr Peabody
01-03-2016, 08:30 PM
The SP250 should be close enough in timbre, especially for surround. The difference in character of your amps will be more of a potential difference than the two models of Klipsch. I don't think you'll find either a big deal.

blackraven
01-03-2016, 08:32 PM
You may like the Marantz better for the front channels. I am just partial to the more organic slightly warmer Marantz house sound. But that is a matter of personal taste.
Some have described Emotiva as bright sounding but I have not heard their gear. It might sound better than the Marantz.

spudnick
01-05-2016, 08:41 AM
Looking at a set of Klipsch RB-61II's. Think these would be ok for back speakers?

blackraven
01-05-2016, 09:53 AM
Any of the Klipsch speakers should work as they should have the same general tone.