What would you do.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What would you do....

AZHT
04-28-2004, 03:01 PM
I already have a decent HT setup in my living room. I want something inexpensive & basic for my bedroom. Options are either getting a new Yamaha HTR-5790 for $500 for my living room and moving my Denon AVR-2800 to my bedroom while getting a basic 5.1 speaker-in-a-box for $115.00. OR get a complete HTIB for around $200-300 for my bedroom. Appreciate your opinions!

paul_pci
04-28-2004, 03:25 PM
I already have a decent HT setup in my living room. I want something inexpensive & basic for my bedroom. Options are either getting a new Yamaha HTR-5790 for $500 for my living room and moving my Denon AVR-2800 to my bedroom while getting a basic 5.1 speaker-in-a-box for $115.00. OR get a complete HTIB for around $200-300 for my bedroom. Appreciate your opinions!

Decisive factors would be how much (serious) watching will be done in the bedroom and how much money you want to throw at having two systems in one home. In my opinion, if you don't care too much about the quality of sound in the bedroom, yes a HTIB would be basic and inexpensive. If you do care shop around for deals, closeouts, used equipment that won't break the bank and still deliver good surround sound.

Jim Clark
04-28-2004, 04:41 PM
Do you really want to know what I would do? I sure as H wouldn't put an HT system in my bedroom. Dood, that ain't what bedrooms are for. What I would do is put a good MUSIC system in the bedroom. That would actually facilitate what the bedroom is there for in the first place. Given your budget I'd look for a used integrated amp and the best used speakers your ears and budget would allow. Most everyone has an extra CDP laying around, even a discman type player with a line out will do in a pinch until you can get a decent component.

Well, it's what I would, and did do.

Good luck with whatever path you take.

jc

Doc Adams
04-29-2004, 08:41 AM
Do you really want to know what I would do? I sure as H wouldn't put an HT system in my bedroom. Dood, that ain't what bedrooms are for. What I would do is put a good MUSIC system in the bedroom. That would actually facilitate what the bedroom is there for in the first place. Given your budget I'd look for a used integrated amp and the best used speakers your ears and budget would allow. Most everyone has an extra CDP laying around, even a discman type player with a line out will do in a pinch until you can get a decent component.

Well, it's what I would, and did do.

Good luck with whatever path you take.

jc

So, just what ARE bedrooms for? My wife thought I should ask this question. Doc

Jim Clark
04-29-2004, 05:21 PM
So, just what ARE bedrooms for? My wife thought I should ask this question. Doc

Well, of course we have to keep the discussions appropriate for everyone so hows about you just show her. Side benefits (for the doc) include stress reduction, improved prostate health, and is much better entertainment than anything ever recorded to film.

Remember that a good doc knows how to make a house call.

jc