Acoustic suspension sound in a new speaker [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Acoustic suspension sound in a new speaker

AAinPB
12-29-2015, 05:43 PM
Hi...does anyone have any thoughts on new speakers that have that acoustic suspension sound--very smooth with tight bass (not boomy or overwhelming).

Another favorite is my 15 year old PSB Stratus Silver i's.

They're great, but I need something for a larger room.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Mr Peabody
12-29-2015, 07:39 PM
What is your budget and what will you be driving them with? Oh, and, welcome to the forum. Also, the type of music you like to listen to?

Thiel comes to mind for a tuneful bass not over emphasized. They typically use a passive radiator. You might give a listen to Totem. You would probably like my Revel F52's but the new series Performa 3 has a fuller bass sound, the F206 is the sweet spot and worth a listen. Just a couple but budget and other info would help narrow things as there are numerous options.

3db
12-31-2015, 06:10 AM
Most ported speakers designed my reputable companies have bass as fast and as tight as acoustic suspension designs so I would not limit your search to acoustic suspension only. The aspect of acoustic suspension designs having tighter faster bass can now be labelled a myth and can be moth balled.

Depending on your budget, I would look at PSB's Imagine T2 or T3

AAinPB
12-31-2015, 12:39 PM
What is your budget and what will you be driving them with? Oh, and, welcome to the forum. Also, the type of music you like to listen to?

Thiel comes to mind for a tuneful bass not over emphasized. They typically use a passive radiator. You might give a listen to Totem. You would probably like my Revel F52's but the new series Performa 3 has a fuller bass sound, the F206 is the sweet spot and worth a listen. Just a couple but budget and other info would help narrow things as there are numerous options.

Appreciate your info and will definitely follow up on the recommendations.

Will try to toast with a bottle of Bud tonight out of respect to St. Louis!