Advice [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Advice

cia2a
12-25-2015, 03:15 PM
I am a IT guy and have a good technical background and enough sense to know what I don't know. I just was given a Chiro C800 Pre Amp and Chiro C200 Amp and I will be using this with a Pro Ject Turntable and Magnepan speakers.
My question is what is the best speaker cable for the magnepans (MG-1) and RCA cables for the connection to AMP from PRe amp

Thanks

blackraven
12-25-2015, 03:42 PM
Without knowing your budget-

I use 10g Belden cable from here with my Magnepan 1.6's

https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/

Any thing 14g or larger will be fine. I bought their bare wire and then terminated them myself with their banana plugs. I also have some high end speaker wire and can't tell the difference in sound.

BJC also sells RCA interconnects of good quality and price. I own several pairs along with some other expensive RCA's.

Post your budget

Mr Peabody
12-25-2015, 09:14 PM
Sorry, I've not owned Chiro or Maggies. I do find differences in the sound of various cables, you should buy from a place that would either allow audition or a return if not happy. Brands like Analysis Plus, Wire World, Cardas Clear, Nordust, would be a good dplace to start but there's a lot out there. Analysis Plus and Wire World are a couple of companies that offer test results to show why their cables sound different.

cia2a
12-26-2015, 05:14 AM
Thanks I will check those out. A neighbor stopped by and gave me some 15GA Radio Shack stuff Auvio, though I have never been a RS fan.

Mr Peabody
12-26-2015, 06:27 AM
RS is alright basic connections but not audiophile. If on a budget the Bluejeans recommended would be a nice step up from there. Then the brands recommended I find a step up from Bluejeans.