Swan Speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Swan Speakers

Parker777
04-28-2004, 01:29 PM
I'm just curious what people think of Swan speakers. I don't see them mentioned much. Were they a fad of a few years ago, or just held in high regard and therefore need not be discussed as much?

Also, they come in the cheaper black cherry now in addition to the rosewood. The price certainly is different between the 2 versions, but is the sound different too because of the better wood?

Bryan
04-29-2004, 05:39 AM
I believe the black cherry is more a faux finish whereas the rosewood is veneered. From what I have read from Jon Lane, a salesman for Swan, there is no difference in the sound and they remain popular to this day. Personally, I chose to go the way of the Rocket.

46minaudio
04-29-2004, 05:59 AM
Personally, I chose to go the way of the Rocket.
Bryan what are you going to do with the Norhs?

Jon Lane
04-29-2004, 06:16 AM
The two varieties are identical in every way except the finish: Either genuine, book-matched rosewood or simulated black cherry vinyl.

The Faux Black Cherry is proving to be more popular than we'd anticipated, and many buyers are using them in complete 7.1 sets in dedicated home theater rooms where the low light makes the more expensive rosewood finish less of a feature.

Meanwhile the genuine rosewoods are continuing to go into 2-channel systems and family room home theaters, etc., where buyers (and their wives ;) ) continue to report on them with enthusiasm.

Either way, the sound is identical. We refined the line in late 1999 and introduced it Jan 2000. It does indeed remain very popular, probably partly because we've been able to hold the line on price fairly well. :cool:

Bryan
04-29-2004, 10:46 AM
Bryan what are you going to do with the Norhs?

Unsure as of yet. The wood 5.1s will be replacing the ceramic 4.0s in the bedroom. I have a RSC200 center on the way that will replace the ceramic 4.0 center. Only thing I don't have as of yet are RSS150s for the surrounds. Likely will either put them up for sale or set them up over at my girlfriends place. (However, if I did the later she would need to pick up a receiver and amp for a subwoofer as I would move my SVS over there too.)

Sondek
04-30-2004, 03:11 AM
I got to listen to the Swan Divas and another model. My impression was:

The looks are great

The cabinet is elegant, especially for the money

The sound was smooth, and musical. It approaches JM Reynaud in many areas, but not equal in terms of articulation.

If I were to "fault" them (hard to do at the price really) I'd say that compared to some speakers, they are less revealing and lacked a bit of speed. That is a *MINOR* critique because they accomplished what they set out to do. They made a very nice speaker for the money.