repair or replace [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : repair or replace

gidget
12-13-2015, 05:00 AM
I have an Onkyo stereo system. The turntable doesn't work and neither does the cd player. Is it worth getting repaired? It is 25years old.

Jack in Wilmington
12-13-2015, 05:48 AM
I have an Onkyo stereo system. The turntable doesn't work and neither does the cd player. Is it worth getting repaired? It is 25years old.

CD players are reasonable enough these days that you would be better off getting a new one. Could run you $100 to $200 for a decent one to get you started. A turntable could be a little more involved with entry level tables running around $400 including cartridge.

Mr Peabody
12-13-2015, 12:28 PM
I definitely agree on replacing the cd player, digital has come a long way and for the price of repair you could get a decent enough player. Marantz or Music Hall are typically good bang for the buck but there's cheaper mass market brands.

The turntable depends, it would be nice if someone could look at it without charging to see the issue. For instance, if it's the cartridge that is broke or worn, replacing it is normal maintenance and expense. Same if a belt broke or came off. However, if it's an electronic issue with the motor or something then replacement may be a better option. What's the symptom?