Upgrade on TV HiFi - TV only has analog output [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade on TV HiFi - TV only has analog output

Gavin
11-24-2015, 04:19 AM
I have a new PC speakers, creative T40, and realizes how terrible my TV HiFi is:frown2:. I would like to upgrade my HiFi and I dun really know where is the problem.

My HiFi system was used for 7-8 years and simple one. Two Speakers (Energy C-50C) connected to analog amplifier (Lzban AV-02). Analog output from TV's 3.5mm jack with RCA converter (and I just know that TV has an RCA output:nonod:). The analog cable is shielded tho maybe has damage on shielding or copper oxidized. TV is sony KDL-42W650a. Not buying a new TV, TV output only have 3.5mm jack and RCA. Have a blueray player with coaxial ouput.

A few stupid questions would like to ask:
1) I want to use the TV hifi for spotify. Two ways of sources I can think of: either RCA output from a new pc to amplifier or USB android plugging into PC. Which is better?

2) Is it worth to replace my cheap amplifier to a new analog amplifier? If yes, any suggestion?

3) I am open to DAC or optical or coaxial amplifier if qualified RCA converter is available on market (not more expensive than buying a new TV with digital output)

4) Is it necessary to replace my old speaker?

I suppose all decisions are related to costs which I can afford are very limited...not more than $400

I hope all are clearly described and some experts can help on this!

JoeE SP9
11-25-2015, 08:46 AM
Is the RCA output from the TV a single connector?

Mr Peabody
11-25-2015, 07:45 PM
I have a new PC speakers, creative T40, and realizes how terrible my TV HiFi is:frown2:. I would like to upgrade my HiFi and I dun really know where is the problem.

My HiFi system was used for 7-8 years and simple one. Two Speakers (Energy C-50C) connected to analog amplifier (Lzban AV-02). Analog output from TV's 3.5mm jack with RCA converter (and I just know that TV has an RCA output:nonod:). The analog cable is shielded tho maybe has damage on shielding or copper oxidized. TV is sony KDL-42W650a. Not buying a new TV, TV output only have 3.5mm jack and RCA. Have a blueray player with coaxial ouput.

> Not sure what you mean by "RCA converter", I'd just use a Y type cable with mini plug on one end and the 2 RCA's at the other end. You could plug the mini into the TV and the RCA's into the amp.

A few stupid questions would like to ask:
1) I want to use the TV hifi for spotify. Two ways of sources I can think of: either RCA output from a new pc to amplifier or USB android plugging into PC. Which is better?
> If you have Spotify on your phone, why not buy a Bluetooth receiver to hook to the amp? Audio Engine makes a good one for $189.00 but there are cheaper ones. The AE has good features and a DAC (digital to analog converter) Also the Y adapter mentioned above would connect the headphone jack of a phone to the RCA inputs of the amp. Some Blu-ray players will allow streaming as well.

2) Is it worth to replace my cheap amplifier to a new analog amplifier? If yes, any suggestion?
> I'm not familiar with that amp but if it has inputs you need it is probably fine.

3) I am open to DAC or optical or coaxial amplifier if qualified RCA converter is available on market (not more expensive than buying a new TV with digital output)
> I'm not clear on this question but I think the Bluetooth answer may apply.

4) Is it necessary to replace my old speaker?
> If they work, they are fine. When upgrading a "system" you have to consider the weakest link, I doubt the speakers are that link in your current set up.

I suppose all decisions are related to costs which I can afford are very limited...not more than $400

I hope all are clearly described and some experts can help on this!

Some of your terms are a bit confusing;
USB, is a type of connection
Android, is any cellphone operating system, not Apple.
RCA, is a type of connection. Sometimes an adapter may be needed but no conversions.

Really for mixing older and newer gear/technology Bluetooth, which is wireless, would be your way to go.

Check this: B1 Bluetooth Music Receiver (http://audioengineusa.com/Store/B1-Bluetooth-Music-Receiver)

Gavin
11-26-2015, 09:16 PM
Joe: My RCA is a dual input connection, one red one white.

Mr Peabody: Sorry for the confusion. Blue tooth receiver is a good idea. Will grip one this weekend probably.

So among the 3 connection ways (bracket means the transmission media),

1)***** Phone->(BT)->BT receiver with DAC->(RCA)->AMP->(RCA)->speaker

2)***** Mini USB PC ->(USB)->TV->(RCA)->AMP ->(RCA)->)speaker

3)***** PC->(RCA)->AMP->(RCA)->speaker

The differences exist before AMP.

I suppose the music quality of all the digital to digital transmission, either using BT or USB or wifi, are the same. But I dunno the bandwidth should be a concern or not. I may change to apple music for better music quality; want to know if the majority of the wireless receiver can support the lossless music transmission?? **

And would like to ask what the priority of digital to analog conversion is. DAC > sound card > TV??

**I know specified sound card designed for hifi is available on market but I should probably go for DAC if it provides better c/心value..

Mr Peabody
11-28-2015, 07:58 PM
The Audio Engine piece I referred to has a high quality Bluetooth adapter/DAC, I believe it's called Apt x. I'm not sure how high the resolution goes. I'm sure it at least does Lossless, my friend streams the high qulity Tidal from his phone to the Bluetooth in a Cary DAC which also has that Apt-X.

USB does high resolution, that's what most of my friends use who are into computer based audio.

Seems the Bluetooth, being wireless would be the most convenient if it has the bandwidth you want.

You show using RCA to speakers, do they have amplification built in? If so, you don't need the other amp.