What's some good modern funk? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What's some good modern funk?

Finch Platte
11-15-2015, 02:45 PM
Yeah, I'm talkin' to you.

Let's see some funk. Jam funk, even. Please note the 'modern' bit in the title, no old shee.

Here's some from my collection

Galactic (and various Stanton Moore offshoots)

Rock Candy Funk Party (feat. Joe Bonamassa)

James Taylor Quartet

Medeski, Martin & Wood

Soulive

Will Bernard

Col. Bruce Hampton & The Aquarium Rescue Unit

Bonerama

Liquid Soul

Jaguar

The Motherfunkers

Righteous Buddah

Otis Grove

Tower Of Power

Ominous Seapods

Flowmotion

Trombone Shorty

Captain Green

Whatchoo got?

noddin0ff
11-16-2015, 06:42 AM
Looks like you've got what I got pretty well covered and more. However, if you're willing to side step a little over to jazz/jam side, you should give this year's Kamasi Washington - The Epic a listen.

Epic is well chosen as it's a 3-disk, 3 hour opus that jams and jams and pulls in influences from everywhere, r&b, soul, and just about every seminal jazz figure since the 60s. It's got enough big band and funk rifs underneath to provide lots of lively and thump. But it also wanders down other paths. Fundamentally it's jazz, though I think its an interesting bridge into jazz for those that may be more rooted in jam, prog and funk.

Review: Kamasi Washington, 'The Epic' : NPR (http://www.npr.org/2015/04/26/402027691/first-listen-kamasi-washington-the-epic)
Kamasi Washington: The Epic | Album Reviews | Pitchfork (http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/20557-the-epic/)

Finch Platte
11-16-2015, 09:52 AM
Nice, that sounds pretty cool. I'll see if the local CD emporium has it, thanks.

Stone
11-16-2015, 11:53 AM
Yeah, I'm talkin' to you.

Let's see some funk. Jam funk, even. Please note the 'modern' bit in the title, no old shee.

Whatchoo got?

9909 This.

Finch Platte
11-16-2015, 01:00 PM
9909 This.

2014!?!

Out-funkin'-standing!!

recoveryone
11-17-2015, 07:18 PM
You can never go wrong with Trombone Shorty, still remember is set at the Grammy pre show in 2011.

Finch Platte
11-18-2015, 01:04 AM
You can never go wrong with Trombone Shorty, still remember is set at the Grammy pre show in 2011.

His latest one was too pussified for me.