Ham, Sausages, Hotdog can cause cancer [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ham, Sausages, Hotdog can cause cancer

Smokey
11-08-2015, 12:42 AM
World Health Organization (WHO) recently announced that processed meat can cause cancer, specifically colon and stomach cancer.

Examples of processed meats include bacon, hot dogs, ham, sausages, corned beef, beef jerky and canned meats - any meat transformed to improve its flavor or preserve it through techniques like salting, curing or smoking.

WHO went as far as putting processed meats in the same danger category as cigarettes.

A group of 22 scientists from the WHO's International Agency for Research on Cancer in Lyon, France evaluated more than 800 studies from several continents about meat and cancer. Based on that evaluation, they classified processed meat as "cancerous to humans" and red meat as "probably cancarous."

Those are bold statements from WHO, and I kind of agree with those statements. Not only for process meat, but for red meat as whole.

To add more bad news to this scenarion, recently CosumerReports magazine test out ground beef (they bought samples cross the country) to see if any bacteria that could be a health risk to humans were present. All 458 pounds of beef tested positive for bacteria that "signified fecal contamination" — enterococcus and E. coli.

That is why I have almost eliminated meat in general (and chicken too) from my diet. Maybe I eat 2 to 4 ounce of meat a week, and mostly eat fish.

World Health Organization: Processed meat can cause cancer - CBS News (http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cancer-sausage-red-meat-world-health-organization/)

Link from CosumerReport:
Consumer Reports tests ground beef for bacteria, yields surprising results (http://www.sheknows.com/food-and-recipes/articles/1094011/consumer-reports-tests-ground-beef-for-bacteria)

Feanor
11-08-2015, 04:55 AM
Are you still smoking, Smokey? If so, you're doing your self far more harm than eating reasonable amounts of processed meats.

For my part I haven't gone vegan or even ovo-lacto-vegetarian. But I eat very little processed meats, (including bacon, that huge favorite), and much less meat in general than I did in my youth. I have no plan, OTOH, to eliminated meat from my diet entirely. I would like to see more "organic" meats available: no antibiotics, not hormones.. Here in Canada, all our domestic beef is raised without growth hormones, but the Trans-Pacific Partnership could deprive us of that -- these "free trade" deals are largely about exposing countries and people to the lowest common international denominator of consumer, worker, and environmental controls.

In away, though, I do admire vegans. Though it takes some planning, one (at least adults) can obtain sufficient nutrition from purely vegetable sources. It is good for the health and for the environment. Cattle raising is especially harmful to the environment. I have especially minimized my beef consumption and also cheese, although I'll admit that it's more to reduce trans-fats than for concern about the environment.

ForeverAutumn
11-08-2015, 04:12 PM
This isn't news. It's been known for years that nitrates cause cancer, and nitrates are used in meat processing. I stopped buying processed meat several years ago. I haven't had a hot dog in about 5 years. When I do buy processed meat, I buy brands that don't use any chemicals or nitrates. I live by the mantra, if I can't pronounce it or spell it, I don't eat it.

There is the odd time when I can't avoid processed foods. For example, I know if I order a chicken wrap in a restaurant it probably has nitrates in it. But I try to keep these meals to a minimum.

As for being vegan or vegetarian, 80% of my diet is vegetarian, and 90% of that is vegan. Being lactose intolerant certainly helps with the vegan diet. Feanor is right though. It takes a lot of planning. I spent all day today cooking vegan foods to divide up and freeze. I spend most of my Sundays cooking and preparing for the week, since I don't have time to cook healthy meals during the week.

Smokey
11-08-2015, 11:44 PM
Thanks for mentioning nitrates. Feanor also mentioned antibiotic and hormones. And I am going to add chlorine to long list of chemical used to process meat in general. So the list is long for harmful chemical in meat.

I also agree that going completely vegan is real hard, especially for times when wanting a meal that make tommy full and satisfied (like on weekend nights).

I find fish to better substitute than beef for those nights, and feel better eating it. But as FA mentioned sometimes eating meat can not be avoided, or crave it. For those ocassions, meat is used as side dish rather main course.

But there is no substitution for animal byproducts such as eggs, milk, cheese, yougurt and butter. Got to have those in my diet :)

bubbagump
12-28-2022, 10:20 PM
Can DCA be taken while fasting ? Or is it better to wait until the fasting is done ? I‘m on a 30 day fast.MarekA: Dear Marek, thank you for your question. DCA can still be absorbed while you are fasting. However, if you take DCA in powder form, dissolve it into a solution from https://www.dcaguide.org/suppliers/ , drinking it on an empty stomach may cause heartburn after a while. The stomach that has had no food for longer periods of time can get irritated really easily. To avoid this, you should take Sodium dichloroacetate in a capsule form.