Best Albums of 2015 (so far) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best Albums of 2015 (so far)

Davey
09-05-2015, 04:18 PM
Anything you've been really impressed with so far?

Mentioned in another thread, I love the new Marriages Salome record. That's probably my favorite so far. Really like the singer and guitarist Emma Ruth Rundle's solo Some Heavy Ocean from last year, and the Marriages debut EP Kitsune from 2012 too.

And the Marika Hackman debut this year, kind of a folk music buddy of the great Laura Marling who also has a really nice record out this year, I just like listening to it a lot, We Slept At Last. It's not gonna be in many best of the year lists, but I really like it.

And the latest from Jim O'Rourke is pretty special, he doesn't often put out these pop vocal records, and so his new Simple Songs is a real treat for fans.

Sleater-Kinney, Maribou State, Jenny Hval, Mount Eerie, Natalie Prass, Steven Wilson, those are some others I like, what are some on your list? Upcoming new ones from PJ Harvey and Julia Holter that I'm really looking forward to.

Swish
09-08-2015, 07:29 AM
Anything you've been really impressed with so far?

Mentioned in another thread, I love the new Marriages Salome record. That's probably my favorite so far. Really like the singer and guitarist Emma Ruth Rundle's solo Some Heavy Ocean from last year, and the Marriages debut EP Kitsune from 2012 too.

And the Marika Hackman debut this year, kind of a folk music buddy of the great Laura Marling who also has a really nice record out this year, I just like listening to it a lot, We Slept At Last. It's not gonna be in many best of the year lists, but I really like it.

And the latest from Jim O'Rourke is pretty special, he doesn't often put out these pop vocal records, and so his new Simple Songs is a real treat for fans.

Sleater-Kinney, Maribou State, Jenny Hval, Mount Eerie, Natalie Prass, Steven Wilson, those are some others I like, what are some on your list? Upcoming new ones from PJ Harvey and Julia Holter that I'm really looking forward to.

I do like the Jim O'Rourke as well as Currents by Tame Impala, and I Love You, Honeybear by Father John Misty. I ordered the latest Destroyer (Poison Season) and probably need the new Bjork titled Vulnicura. Heard some of Natalie Prass and will likely buy that too, ditto the latest from Speedy Ortiz.

Not a bad year so far.

tentoze
09-16-2015, 05:04 AM
Better year this year than last for me and new stuff. Highly regarded:

J. D. McPherson~ Let The Good Times Roll
Ray Wylie Hubbard~ The Ruffian's Misfortune
Ryan Bingham~ Fear & Saturday Night

And there are more...

Finch Platte
09-19-2015, 05:40 PM
The new Ghost, Meliora, is pretty rockin'. More than I can say for the new Sword or that Arcs disc. Bleagh. I haven't found a Dan Auerbach band I like yet.

One review of Meliora says "Blue Oyster Cult with extra Satanism for her pleasure." :D

Jack in Wilmington
10-01-2015, 05:08 PM
So far one of these three is my album of the year. Too early to decide, as I have three months till the end of the year. First there's "Heavy on the Beach" by Grand Tour. Second is "Grand Experiment" by The Neal Morse Band. Lastly "4626-ComfortZone" by Beardfish. Sometimes I go through a whole year without picking up any new music, so this is sort of monumental for me.

Davey
10-16-2015, 01:34 PM
Lot of good records this year, listening to the new Evening Hymns right now, Quiet Energies. Really nice. Song and video below from one of their earlier records ... this one not much different, still that pastoral folk music sound ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5NOg6n_ruQ

noddin0ff
10-16-2015, 02:04 PM
Somone on the board got me hooked on Josh Ritter. One listen and I'm liking the new one currently pre-streaming on NPR
First Listen: Josh Ritter, 'Sermon On The Rocks' : NPR (http://www.npr.org/2015/10/07/445261578/first-listen-josh-ritter-sermon-on-the-rocks)

Davey
10-16-2015, 02:18 PM
Somone on the board got me hooked on Josh Ritter. One listen and I'm liking the new one currently pre-streaming on NPR
First Listen: Josh Ritter, 'Sermon On The Rocks' : NPR (http://www.npr.org/2015/10/07/445261578/first-listen-josh-ritter-sermon-on-the-rocks)

Yea, I've only heard the "Getting Ready To Get Down" single, and it's a barrel of monkeys. Josh Ritter is A-OK with me. Looking forward to hearing more from that one.

BTW, anyone that is still spinning vinyl, I recently picked up Josh Ritter's amazing Hello Starling on vinyl after years of enjoying the CD, and have to say, wow, many of you would love this for both the music and sound. Really great.

Swish
10-17-2015, 01:47 AM
Lot of good records this year, listening to the new Evening Hymns right now, Quiet Energies. Really nice. Song and video below from one of their earlier records ... this one not much different, still that pastoral folk music sound ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5NOg6n_ruQ

Me likes. Will have to look into this one.

Davey
10-17-2015, 02:46 PM
Me likes. Will have to look into this one.

Yea, it's good, though this new one hasn't totally yanked me in yet. I was kinda hoping it would be a little more like that amazing Mutual Benefit Love's Crushing Diamond from a couple years ago in that regard, something really special out of nowhere, but probably not. Love that record, wonder if they have something new coming up? Love's Crushing Diamond playing now, and as always, pretty special. In case anyone missed it ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UFTjbJ0-9I

We woke for golden morning hours
Just to soak in all the power
We weren't made to be this way
We weren't made to be afraid