YET EVEN ANOTHER USB DAC tweak [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : YET EVEN ANOTHER USB DAC tweak

Feanor
08-19-2015, 06:28 AM
I've sprung $50 for an AudioQuest Jitterbug: see ...

JitterBug (http://www.audioquest.com/jitterbug/jitterbug)

http://www.audioquest.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/JitterBug_300x300_main3.jpg http://www.audioquest.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/JitterBug_300x140_callout.jpg

This had a very positive review in the September '15 Stereophile. The reviewer was John Atkinson, chief editor and measurement guy; Atkinson said he heard a significant improvement with the Jitterbug between his Mac computer and DACs he tried -- this despite that he couldn't measure any significant difference using his standard measuring devices.

The AudioQuest Jitterbug apparently differs from the Uptone Audio REGEN and also the Schiit Audio WYRD in that it doesn't function as a USB hub. Most or all USB hubs "regenerate" the USB packets before passing them to/from the downstream device. OTOH the Jitterbug seems, from what I gather, to merely filter the power and signal feeds from the computer, removing noise generated by the latter.

I'm a cheapskate and also a skeptic about sonic improvements but I figured for $50 I'd it a try. I will update with my impressions.

blackraven
08-19-2015, 07:55 AM
I am going to buy one of these as well after I receive my Regen. I am currently using a friends Regen while he is in Europe for 3 weeks. I have read that they can compliment each other. I look forward to your review.

Feanor
09-10-2015, 11:11 AM
I've ordered a couple myself, but from a Canadian webshop and, it turns out, they are back ordered so who know how long 'till they arrive.

harley .guy07
09-15-2015, 08:04 AM
I have read online that the regen is the better of the two but it is also more expensive. from what I have read the Jitterbug cleans up the jitter in the signal but the Regen completely regenerates the signal hints the name. I will be interested to know which one you guys prefer.

blackraven
09-15-2015, 09:00 PM
I love my Regen and can't see it ever leaving my system. From what I have read from pro and user reviews is that the Jitterbug makes a slight difference while the Regen makes a more noticeable improvement in sound. I am sure that DAC makers will incorporated Regen tech in their future models. I would also like to see a Regen with high end caps and parts.

blackraven
10-02-2015, 10:25 AM
I have a Jitter Bug coming from Audio Advisor. I ordered it yesterday and it is arriving Monday. I will post my findings with and without the Regen.

AA is selling them for $48 with free shipping. ABT has them for $40 and free shipping but there is about a 3 week wait.

So far I am amazed at the difference the Regen makes. I have heard it with my Luxman, the PS Audio DSD ( a friend brought it over to compare to my Luxman), Lampizator Amber and the Hugo Chord. It improved sound of all these DAC's. It even makes my son's AQ Dragon Fly sound better, however it is not compatible with the DF. After about 5 minutes the DF sputters. I think there is an issue with the 5v power filtering with the Regen and DF.