Oh Krell, my Krell [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Oh Krell, my Krell

JohnMichael
08-18-2015, 12:55 PM
Yes I am unhappy with my S-300i. I am not sure what happened but while playing vinyl I heard some weird sound. I raised the tonearm to free any hair or dirt causing mistracking. I realized the noise continued. I changed sources and it continued. The woofer on the left speaker was really dancing and I had no idea it had such extension and I quickly shut off the rear power switch. It settled down as the power drained from the amp.

Of course the amp is out of warranty but it has a history of problems. The first one I bought had a surface mounted switch that only worked with the remote control. Music Direct exchanged amps without a question. Nest was noise that continued in the right channel after being placed in standby. Krell was concerned and had me ship the amp and they repaired it. Then I blew it up using the wrong speaker cables and Krell was kind enough to fix it under warranty even though it was my mistake. Now the left channel is a little funky and thought it was going to harm my speakers.

Of course now I am using the Onkyo A-9555 int. amp that is older but more dependable. I will call Krell tomorrow but I am not willing to put much money into it since I have issues with it's dependability. I enjoy the sound but for 5x the price I paid for the Onkyo I expect some reliability.

Hyfi
08-18-2015, 01:13 PM
That sucks. You should have picked the second box back on the shelf:)

So now that your in the market for some new gear, what about some Tubes?

harley .guy07
08-18-2015, 01:59 PM
If I were in the market for a Integrated I would look at a Pass Int 150 or Int 60. Just my opinion but either one of those would be great.

JohnMichael
08-18-2015, 05:02 PM
I am going to talk with Krell first. I also need to check my purchase date. I do like the amp but I also like dependability. Maybe a Rogue Audio Sphinx may be in the future.

JohnMichael
08-18-2015, 05:45 PM
Well the Krell was purchased in 8/2009 and the warranty is five years from sale or 6 years from manufacture. I am hoping Krell is kind. I do think the new Vanguard is made in this country. Maybe Chinese Krell did not work out.

thekid
08-19-2015, 01:30 AM
Sorry to hear JM. Unless the fix is cheap it sounds like you will be pouring good money after bad.

Jack in Wilmington
08-19-2015, 05:14 AM
I am going to talk with Krell first. I also need to check my purchase date. I do like the amp but I also like dependability. Maybe a Rogue Audio Sphinx may be in the future.

The new Yamaha series of integrated amps have been getting some good press. Love the big meters on the S2100 and S3000, but the S801 might be more in your budget.

Feanor
08-19-2015, 06:51 AM

Good luck dealing with Krell; seems they've treated you decently in the past.

The Rogue Sphinx has a good Stereophile classification. As you no doubt know, it is hybrid integrated with at tube front end and a Hypex based, class D power section.

I have nothing against class D amps having owned a couple of them, but amplifier guru, Abe Collins over at Audio Asylum, hated the Sphinx while at the same time he loves the Rogue Cronus Magnum II: See ... Products_CronusMagnum.htm (http://www.rogueaudio.com/Products_Cronus_Magnum.htm)

Abe Collins seems to like a slightly warmer sound that the typical Krell but I still put a lot of weight on his opinions. If you are willing to go all-tubes, the Cronus Magnum II might be a strong contender for you.

Speaking of Abe Collins and the Pass Labs INT-150 which was mentioned above, Abe found the INT-150 be lacking dynamics, (or let's say, "PRaT"). The INT-150 has a passive front end which might be why he didn't care for the INT-150 but loved the Pass X150.5 combined with a tube preamp, the Cary SPL-05. The INT-150 would cost you $4000+ used and wouldn't be worth much money to me anyway.

JohnMichael
08-19-2015, 07:38 AM
I like the Krell so if it can be repaired for a minimal expense great. Of course my question is how long will it work this time. Luckily the Onkyo A-9555 is not a bad sounding budget amp. Class D so at least I am saving electricity.

Onkyo A-9555 integrated amplifier | Stereophile.com (http://www.stereophile.com/integratedamps/907onk/index.html#56o4vdgtmCQGWDPo.97)

frenchmon
08-19-2015, 07:56 AM
Sorry JM....hope it all works out.

There is also this new amp as well.

http://www.cepro.com/images/uploads/ParasoundHalo21_1.jpg

http://cdn.stereophile.com/images/101214-ParasoundInt-600.jpg

Parasound's new Halo 2.1 integrated amplifier ($2500) is rated at 160Wpc into 8 ohms (240Wpc into 4 ohms, both channels driven), and utilizes the same basic John Curl circuit design found in Parasound's Halo power amps. In addition to its analog inputs, it offers USB, coax, and optical digital inputs for sampling rates up to 192kHz, 24-bit. There's also analog bass management included for use with a subwoofer, and variable high- and low-pass crossovers
Read more at RMAF 2014: Final Thoughts from Tom Norton | Stereophile.com (http://www.stereophile.com/content/rmaf-2014-final-thoughts-tom-norton#7FL5JOwTuej9LgMm.99)

This is also a good one.....$3499 at MD
http://www.musicdirect.com/images/Product/large/AYHAAS2100BLK.jpg

But if you want something a little more upscale and high end? something a little more sexy? Price: $3,990.00 At Music Direct, but cheaper direct from Japan through Ebay.

http://www.thecableco.com/uploads/product/12418/full2247.png

JohnMichael
08-19-2015, 08:48 AM
I do like the Krell when it is working. It is too early to start thinking of another amp. Of course what I read on other sites there are some brands that have reliability issues. I just have to decide based on the cost of repairs to have it fixed or save it towards a new amp. It would be a shame to have a non functioning amp taking up space since it would have no value as a trade or to sell to someone.

frenchmon
08-19-2015, 09:16 AM
You could repair and put on Audiogon at an incredible price with the understanding of it being repaired by Krell. But thats only if you where ready to move on from it.

Mr Peabody
08-19-2015, 06:01 PM
I 2nd the Parasound, if you get to that stage. It's a crazy good value and Parasound was struggling to keep up with demand. KEF used this integrated to show their speakers at Axpona, including the Blades. I spoke with Richard Schram while there, he told me the integrated has the same preamp as a P5 which sells at $1500.00 where the integrated is only $2500.00 with bhilt in DAC and huge power.

I am sorry to hear about the Krell. Sorry for Krell too as I am a fan. I understand the Vanguard and some of Krell's newer gear is warmer, I'd like to hear some of the newer stuff.

JohnMichael
08-20-2015, 09:17 AM
Just received word that since the amp has already been in twice for repair Krell will repair as if under warranty. I really like the sound of the amp and miss it even more now that I am listening to the Onkyo A-9555. I am happy because I really like the sound of the amp and did not want to buy another that I may not like as well.

Krell has always stood behind my purchase.

Hyfi
08-20-2015, 09:29 AM
Thats a good deal and proper support for a unit that has failed several times and should not have.

harley .guy07
08-20-2015, 12:50 PM
In response to what was said about the int-150 above I don't know how it compares to my X150.5 but I love my amp and maybe you could luck into one afford-ably like I did and pair it with a tube preamp like said above. I do not know that might crush your budget as good tube Pre's are usually not cheap.

Mr Peabody
08-20-2015, 01:59 PM
Good deal JM, right on, Krell

JohnMichael
08-23-2015, 05:48 PM
The S-300i is packed and ready for UPS tomorrow. I am sure glad I do not throw boxes away until after the warranty ends. The poor boxes on their third round trip are looking a little worn.

Jack in Wilmington
08-24-2015, 05:39 AM
The S-300i is packed and ready for UPS tomorrow. I am sure glad I do not throw boxes away until after the warranty ends. The poor boxes on their third round trip are looking a little worn.

I keep the boxes even after the product is out of warranty. It's always a nice selling feature for the perspective buyer to be receiving the product in the original box.

Have you given any thought to selling the S300i when you get it back. Sometimes as with cars after you've had them repaired a few times you start to worry that maybe it's time to move on. Maybe something inside the amp is causing the failures and it may also be compromising the sound. It's always preferred to sell a car when it's in top running condition as it will have the most retail value. Just some food for thought.

JohnMichael
08-24-2015, 11:19 AM
I keep the boxes even after the product is out of warranty. It's always a nice selling feature for the perspective buyer to be receiving the product in the original box.

Have you given any thought to selling the S300i when you get it back. Sometimes as with cars after you've had them repaired a few times you start to worry that maybe it's time to move on. Maybe something inside the amp is causing the failures and it may also be compromising the sound. It's always preferred to sell a car when it's in top running condition as it will have the most retail value. Just some food for thought.

It will of course depend on what they find. I do like the amp and have never regretted buying it due to the sound of the S-300i. I hope to gain a little dependability with this repair. I do not like bright or warm amps and this has always been just right for me. Selling it and buying another that may not be to my liking over time would be a problem.

Years ago I had a Rotel RA970BX that was great and needed repair. They loaned me a RA971BX and it was horribly bright. I was fearful my RA970BX would sound like the new version once repaired but luckily that did not happen. I am willing to give the Krell one more try than to risk trading it in for something I will regret.

Jack in Wilmington
08-24-2015, 02:08 PM
It will of course depend on what they find. I do like the amp and have never regretted buying it due to the sound of the S-300i. I hope to gain a little dependability with this repair. I do not like bright or warm amps and this has always been just right for me. Selling it and buying another that may not be to my liking over time would be a problem.

Years ago I had a Rotel RA970BX that was great and needed repair. They loaned me a RA971BX and it was horribly bright. I was fearful my RA970BX would sound like the new version once repaired but luckily that did not happen. I am willing to give the Krell one more try than to risk trading it in for something I will regret.

There is always that fear and the subsequent buyers remorse. We've seen that with Blackraven's DAC search. Mr. Peabody's purchase of Zu Audio Omen (I believe ) speakers that did not work out and I'm sure countless other purchases that didn't work out with other posters. You do have the advantage of knowing what you'll hopefully get back when it is repaired.

JohnMichael
08-29-2015, 10:22 AM
My amp was delivered to Krell this past Wednesday. I hope they really examine it. Of course with the possibility of individual parts failures I know it can develop problems again. I am just glad Krell is standing behind it and it did not damage my speakers. If they wanted to send me a new unit that would be okay. I almost wish I had the money to trade up to the Vanguard.

JohnMichael
09-01-2015, 11:42 AM
No news from Krell yet. I want them to take their time and go over the amp completely but I also wanted it yesterday. I miss my toys when they are away. The Onkyo is not up to Krell standards.

JohnMichael
09-06-2015, 09:31 AM
Trying to enjoy music. Easy to do with the Krell but tougher with the Onkyo. One day I need to listen to another Class D amp to see if what troubles me about the Onkyo is typical with Class D designs. I have even been thinking about a budget integrated amp as a back up for the Krell and selling the Onkyo. Of course I hope the Krell comes back trouble free.

blackraven
09-06-2015, 11:34 AM
Not all Class D amps sound the same. I have heard some good ones and bad ones.

NuForce Model 9se v2's sound great as do the Bel Canto's that I have heard.

Hopefully you will get the Krell back soon.

Feanor
09-06-2015, 11:41 AM
... One day I need to listen to another Class D amp to see if what troubles me about the Onkyo is typical with Class D designs. I have even been thinking about a budget integrated amp as a back up for the Krell and selling the Onkyo. ...

What qualifies as 'budget', JM?

The Peachtree nova65SE looks kind of interesting to me, and it's presently only $800. It's a class D with tube buffered input; it has a built in Sabre DAC but no phono. See HERE (http://www.peachtreeaudio.com/nova65se-amplifier-with-dac.html).

http://www.peachtreeaudio.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/226x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/n/o/nova65se-rw-angle.jpg

blackraven
09-06-2015, 12:51 PM
Teac has some nice integrated amps like this one for $699

AX-501 | TEAC (http://www.teac.com/product/ax-501/)

Dagogo has given some of their gear nice reviews.

JohnMichael
09-06-2015, 02:11 PM
I was just trying to listen to the Onkyo for a few hours of music when it became fatiguing. I certainly do not want another Class D amp. I just need to be patient for the Krell.

Kursun
09-09-2015, 10:09 AM
I hope all goes well with your Krell.It depends which class D amplifier you listen to.I think the sound I get from my custom class A amplifier and from my Pioneer SC-LX87 av receiver (class d power amp section) is superior to ANY class AB amplifier. I can't stand the crossover distortion of class AB amplifiers.

Jack in Wilmington
09-09-2015, 12:53 PM
I hope all goes well with your Krell.It depends which class D amplifier you listen to.I think the sound I get from my custom class A amplifier and from my Pioneer SC-LX87 av receiver (class d power amp section) is superior to ANY class AB amplifier. I can't stand the crossover distortion of class AB amplifiers.

I haven't noticed any distortion. Maybe that's because I keep mine in class A.

blackraven
09-09-2015, 03:50 PM
No distortion with my Pass either. Never heard it with my Parasound A21 either.

Some of the worst amps that I heard were NCores. A friend brought his NC monoblocks over to my house and we compared them to my Pass. He bought a new amp that week.

JohnMichael
09-09-2015, 04:40 PM

I am surprised that the switching distortion of Class D does not bother you if Class A/B crossover distortion does.

Kursun
09-09-2015, 11:35 PM
I am surprised that the switching distortion of Class D does not bother you if Class A/B crossover distortion does.Switching occurs at ultrasonic frequencies at which even my dog can't hear. Class AB amplifiers distort the wave at every frequency within human hearing range.Pass Labs amps of course are class A.

blackraven
09-10-2015, 04:32 AM
My Pass is Class A up to about 20wpc, maybe more, maybe less depending upon what you read. The Parasound was Class A up to 8-10wpc. Maybe my hearing is not good enough to hear it.

Kursun
09-10-2015, 05:45 AM
20W per channel is probably all you need most of the time.My thesis is that class D amplifiers have matured now and a properly designed and built class D amplifier is superior to class AB designs.

JohnMichael
09-10-2015, 08:27 AM
Just because something is happening in the frequencies above human hearing does not mean it does not interfere with the music.

Kursun
09-10-2015, 09:33 AM
Just because something is happening in the frequencies above human hearing does not mean it does not interfere with the music.Theoretically you may be correct.But my judgement is based on what I hear, not theories.

Feanor
09-10-2015, 10:08 AM
20W per channel is probably all you need most of the time.My thesis is that class D amplifiers have matured now and a properly designed and built class D amplifier is superior to class AB designs.

No, I don't acceot the global assertion that class D amps are now superior to class AB amps.

There are two things I do believe however: (1) class D amps don't all sound the same, and (2) some class D amp sound better than some class AB amps.

Jack in Wilmington
09-10-2015, 12:17 PM

If you can get one of the major audio publications ( Stereophile or The Absolute Sound for example) to agree with you, then your theory might hold water. It doesn't sound like those of us with AB amps who have previously owned class D agree.

Kursun
09-11-2015, 01:20 AM
If you can get one of the major audio publications ( Stereophile or The Absolute Sound for example) to agree with you, then your theory might hold water. It doesn't sound like those of us with AB amps who have previously owned class D agree.““…previously” might be the key Word here. Class D has evolved. Once it was only good for subwoofers. I am not a circuit design guru but higher switching frequencies may have helped a lot.______“A lot of times, people don't know what they want until you show it to them.” – Steve Jobs______A lot of people aren’t aware of the virtues of class A. But they do have their drawbacks. People believe class D is just not good enough…So manufacturers shovel class AB through consumers’ throats. Because it is practical to design and sell class AB.I had been blessed/cursed with a pair of Yamaha NS1000M speakers. Like my AKG K701 headphones they let you hear tiniest amount of defect in the source. For me they are the best speakers in the world regardless of price. For those of you not familiar with these speakers here is a short glimpse: Yamaha NS-1000M | (http://zstereo.co.uk/2012/12/25/yamaha-ns1000m) I have used several class AB amplifiers to drive the Yamaha NS1000Ms with disastrous results. Midrange and highs were much too bright and hard, too little bass. I decided to build a solid state class A power amplifier to drive it. Postimage.org / Pure Class A Power Amplifier II (http://postimg.org/gallery/in2s4b8s/) Result was unbelievable. Midrange and highs are now transparent as pure water and bass is deep with great authority (although power is only a 2x30W./that'a 500W torodidal power transformer inside).Later when it was time to replace my AV receiver I looked at the top of the line Pioneer receivers, I was disappointed to see that all of their higher models were class D. I didn’t think fondly of class D at the time. Well I bought Pioneer SC-LX87 anyway. When I hooked it up, WOW! Its sound is almost close to the class A power amplifier! Class A amplifier on steroids!The truth is Class AB is practical for the industry to build and the consumer to buy. Both the industry and the consumer is happy. I don’t know why Stereophile or other publications investigate the matter. Though they do their listening evaluation I think one problem lies with the labs measuring THD and IM while the amplifier is connected to purely resistive 8 ohm dummy loads. The general public starts to think their amplifier is totally distortion free, while class B/AB crossover distortion grind their ears.

Kursun
09-11-2015, 01:59 AM
Sorry,I don't know why my paragraphs are garbled.

Jack in Wilmington
09-11-2015, 06:28 AM
““…previously” might be the key Word here. Class D has evolved. Once it was only good for subwoofers. I am not a circuit design guru but higher switching frequencies may have helped a lot.______“A lot of times, people don't know what they want until you show it to them.” – Steve Jobs______A lot of people aren’t aware of the virtues of class A. But they do have their drawbacks. People believe class D is just not good enough…So manufacturers shovel class AB through consumers’ throats. Because it is practical to design and sell class AB.I had been blessed/cursed with a pair of Yamaha NS1000M speakers. Like my AKG K701 headphones they let you hear tiniest amount of defect in the source. For me they are the best speakers in the world regardless of price. For those of you not familiar with these speakers here is a short glimpse: Yamaha NS-1000M | (http://zstereo.co.uk/2012/12/25/yamaha-ns1000m) I have used several class AB amplifiers to drive the Yamaha NS1000Ms with disastrous results. Midrange and highs were much too bright and hard, too little bass. I decided to build a solid state class A power amplifier to drive it. Postimage.org / Pure Class A Power Amplifier II (http://postimg.org/gallery/in2s4b8s/) Result was unbelievable. Midrange and highs are now transparent as pure water and bass is deep with great authority (although power is only a 2x30W./that'a 500W torodidal power transformer inside).Later when it was time to replace my AV receiver I looked at the top of the line Pioneer receivers, I was disappointed to see that all of their higher models were class D. I didn’t think fondly of class D at the time. Well I bought Pioneer SC-LX87 anyway. When I hooked it up, WOW! Its sound is almost close to the class A power amplifier! Class A amplifier on steroids!The truth is Class AB is practical for the industry to build and the consumer to buy. Both the industry and the consumer is happy. I don’t know why Stereophile or other publications investigate the matter. Though they do their listening evaluation I think one problem lies with the labs measuring THD and IM while the amplifier is connected to purely resistive 8 ohm dummy loads. The general public starts to think their amplifier is totally distortion free, while class B/AB crossover distortion grind their ears.

I just know that I've had 2 class D amps in my system, a tube amp and a solid state and neither could drive my speakers like my Pass Labs amp can drive them. The class D's just seem to fall apart when the music got complex and didn't take the highs to their apex and instead rolled them off. If you're right I'd expect to see some class D amps rated in the Class "A" or even "B" when Stereophile does their annual best of the best article. I'll look for that this year when the article hits the news stand. I'll also read closely the articles on class D amps and see if they mention being better now than class AB.

Kursun
09-11-2015, 09:07 AM
If you have a Pass Labs amplifier, anything by Nelson Pass, I frankly think you don't need to look any further.

Jack in Wilmington
09-11-2015, 12:03 PM
If you have a Pass Labs amplifier, anything by Nelson Pass, I frankly think you don't need to look any further.

I agree, I didn't feel like I had to, but then you got me thinking that maybe I missed something in my two class D amps. Maybe with a speaker that is an easier load like an 8 ohm 90 sensitivity speaker.

Mr Peabody
09-12-2015, 08:15 PM
Class D is popular now, almost every large manufacturer has something Class D to offer and several Class D only brands like Red Dragon, NuForce, Channel Island etc. I just had in my system a great set of Class D monoblocks from Merrill Audio. In evaluating it is good to have another good amp to compare with like the Pass. In short, the Veritas were smooth, clear, detailed, quick and powerful. In comparing the two brands there were some trades. I didn't notice this before but have been told Class D lacks in dynamics. It took me a while to notice this in the Veritas due to the fast transients but on a particular song it became apparent. The song starts soft then swells with intensity on the Pass, the same song on the Veritas the music didn't swell. Once I became aware of the difference I could hear it in voices and other areas. Despite this nature in the Veritas they were still musical and had good timing.

In the end I still preferred my Pass for what I already mentioned plus I enjoy the warmer midrange and fuller bass.

It's to the point now that you can't stereotype Class D any more and that's a good thing. The Veritas has pristine tones on things like bells, cymbals etc. that were not fatiguing at all. It will really depend on what one likes to listen to and you are going for. If you wanted max detail from a recording the Veritas would be hard to beat. They also had good bass it was super controlled.

JohnMichael
09-13-2015, 08:24 AM
I just checked emails and a notice from UPS states that my Krell will be home tomorrow. Tonight I am working my seventh night in a row but I think I will have the energy to put it back in the system. I do not know what they repaired until I read the packing slip. Sounds like no sleep tomorrow. Thanks Krell!

Mr Peabody
09-13-2015, 08:57 AM
JM will be a happy camper :)

Feanor
09-13-2015, 10:33 AM
Class D is popular now, almost every large manufacturer has something Class D to offer and several Class D only brands like Red Dragon, NuForce, Channel Island etc. I just had in my system a great set of Class D monoblocks from Merrill Audio. In evaluating it is good to have another good amp to compare with like the Pass. In short, the Veritas were smooth, clear, detailed, quick and powerful. In comparing the two brands there were some trades. I didn't notice this before but have been told Class D lacks in dynamics. It took me a while to notice this in the Veritas due to the fast transients but on a particular song it became apparent. The song starts soft then swells with intensity on the Pass, the same song on the Veritas the music didn't swell. Once I became aware of the difference I could hear it in voices and other areas. Despite this nature in the Veritas they were still musical and had good timing.

In the end I still preferred my Pass for what I already mentioned plus I enjoy the warmer midrange and fuller bass.

It's to the point now that you can't stereotype Class D any more and that's a good thing. The Veritas has pristine tones on things like bells, cymbals etc. that were not fatiguing at all. It will really depend on what one likes to listen to and you are going for. If you wanted max detail from a recording the Veritas would be hard to beat. They also had good bass it was super controlled.

Ha! Remarkable: this is pretty close to how I would describe the difference between my Pass Labs X150.5 and my Class D Audio SDS-258. I would only add that the Pass has not exactly more detail, but more palpable 3D imaging and soundstage depth.

One difference between the CLD SDS-258 and the Merrill Veritas though: the former cost $650 while the latter cost $12,000.

Mr Peabody
09-13-2015, 11:44 AM
Ha! Remarkable: this is pretty close to how I would describe the difference between my Pass Labs X150.5 and my Class D Audio SDS-258. I would only add that the Pass has not exactly more detail, but more palpable 3D imaging and soundstage depth.

One difference between the CLD SDS-258 and the Merrill Veritas though: the former cost $650 while the latter cost $12,000.

The Merrill had more detail in laying bare what was in the track, it was musical, I just find Pass a very satisfying balance of all aspects to my taste.

I auditioned the Class D amp Harley had, not sure where your amp is in the line compared to his. The Class D doesn't compare to the Merrill, whether it's worth the many times more in price only the listener could say. Merrill has taken best of show at a couple of the audio shows.

I'm curious what these Red Dragon amps sound like, made in the U.S. and also reasonably priced.

JohnMichael
09-14-2015, 01:01 PM
My Krell is home and sounding good. So much more instrumental texture than with the Onkyo. Cheers to a long life.

Hyfi
09-15-2015, 03:47 AM
If I had to choose, I always loved the Luxman gear and that one is a beauty

Feanor
09-15-2015, 04:30 AM
My Krell is home and sounding good. So much more instrumental texture than with the Onkyo. Cheers to a long life.

Great to hear the you're back in action, JM. And here's hoping it is indeed for the very long term.

Feanor
09-15-2015, 04:42 AM
The Merrill had more detail {than the CLD SDS-258} in laying bare what was in the track, it was musical, I just find Pass a very satisfying balance of all aspects to my taste.

I auditioned the Class D amp Harley had, not sure where your amp is in the line compared to his. The Class D doesn't compare to the Merrill, whether it's worth the many times more in price only the listener could say. Merrill has taken best of show at a couple of the audio shows.

I'm curious what these Red Dragon amps sound like, made in the U.S. and also reasonably priced.

So it isn't really surprising that the Merrill beats the CLD. That is, given the price difference (for which you ought to get something), but also that the Merrill is a Hypex nCore amp. The nCores are emerging as the class D -- or perhaps the class anything -- to beat these days. And while you have explained the Veritas is actually better than you Pass Labs in some ways, e.g. resolution, I find that my Pass Labs beats my CLD in every way.

I've been somewhat following your AudioAsylum review of the Merrill Veritas. I'm always interested to here comments from Morricab; I have a lot of respect for his comments on account of the vast array of equipment he as be privileged to hear. I also respect that he has the most refined and technically plausible rationale for his preferences that I've ever heard from anyone. However his preferences remain just that.

JohnMichael
09-15-2015, 07:19 AM
I find it interesting how the same pair of speakers in the same position in the same room can have different amounts of bass. Driven by the Krell there is greater weight to the bass. The tension and snap of plucked acoustic bass strings is so much more lifelike. The Onkyo is like listening to a spinet piano where the Krell is like listening to a grand piano. The Onkyo is not bad but once you go Krell.

My other long term amp was a Rotel RA 970BX. I thought it was developing problems so I bought the Cambridge Audio 640A int. amp. I found out it was the cd player I owned that was losing a channel. While I was burning in the CA 640A I loaned the Rotel to a friend. Former friend hooked up three pairs of speakers to party and melted down the amp. Of all the receivers and amps the Rotel and the Krell are the ones I have enjoyed long term.

Mr Peabody
09-17-2015, 04:47 AM
I don't know Morricab that well yet but he had some valid points on Class D. You're right though he loves his tubes. I haven't heard all tubes but at this point I haven't heard any I like better than my Pass. Except for maybe Octave Audio, if one could get the power needed at an obtainable price in that brand they really are amazing. Same I suppose I can say for solid state, anything I'd consider over the Pass is beyond my reach.

So it isn't really surprising that the Merrill beats the CLD. That is, given the price difference (for which you ought to get something), but also that the Merrill is a Hypex nCore amp. The nCores are emerging as the class D -- or perhaps the class anything -- to beat these days. And while you have explained the Veritas is actually better than you Pass Labs in some ways, e.g. resolution, I find that my Pass Labs beats my CLD in every way.

I've been somewhat following your AudioAsylum review of the Merrill Veritas. I'm always interested to here comments from Morricab; I have a lot of respect for his comments on account of the vast array of equipment he as be privileged to hear. I also respect that he has the most refined and technically plausible rationale for his preferences that I've ever heard from anyone. However his preferences remain just that.

JohnMichael
10-01-2015, 09:50 AM
Krell replaced an IC and the amp rail, left channel, when last in the shop. I have waited to report that the amp now sounds better than before. As much as I liked the amp it is now more extended and detailed in the highs. More open and airy could also be used to describe the sound. Bass is still powerful and midrange is also more open. I am not sure what upgraded the performance but I am pleased with the improvement. Did not know it could sound this good. From good to great.

frenchmon
10-02-2015, 06:17 AM
Congrats! Enjoy!

Feanor
10-02-2015, 09:23 AM
Glad to hear you're back in action, JM.