Placing standmounts on wood floor [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Placing standmounts on wood floor

tony340
08-11-2015, 03:13 AM
Hey guys, i just moved into a new apartment, and drat, the room i intend to place the hifi has a fairly noisy wooden floor!!! :(
now my bookshelves are on wood stands as well, (i got the local carpenter to do two solid wood stands) and i have two slabs of granite around 3/4 inch thick on top of the stands, between the stands and speakers.

So my question is, what should go between the stands and the wood floor? I was thinking some cork pads as these stands dont have spikes!! Or another thinner layer of granite? I am still a bit confused about 'decoupling' and 'coupling' from the floor, and i know there isnt any perfect theory, but would appreciate some guidelines please.
thanks alot in advance

Feanor
08-11-2015, 04:38 AM
Hey guys, i just moved into a new apartment, and drat, the room i intend to place the hifi has a fairly noisy wooden floor!!! :(
now my bookshelves are on wood stands as well, (i got the local carpenter to do two solid wood stands) and i have two slabs of granite around 3/4 inch thick on top of the stands, between the stands and speakers.

So my question is, what should go between the stands and the wood floor? I was thinking some cork pads as these stands dont have spikes!! Or another thinner layer of granite? I am still a bit confused about 'decoupling' and 'coupling' from the floor, and i know there isnt any perfect theory, but would appreciate some guidelines please.
thanks alot in advance

The purpose of spikes is actually to couple, (not uncouple), the speakers' stands to the floor. Spikes work well on wood floors -- except that they tend to damage the wood.

Granite by virtue of its mass tends to absorb speaker vibrations, which is generally good. Another slab under the stands wouldn't hurt, but it's important that base of the stands, (with or without granite), be in tight contact with the floor. If the floor and speaker base are both flat and smooth, that might be all it takes; if either are not smooth then a thin layer of some pliant material to couple the stands to the floor might be necessary. Cork might do, or a sheet of fairly dense rubber-like material.

Hyfi
08-11-2015, 04:38 AM
I use the granite slabs under my speakers and spikes, but on carpet. You could try some sorbothane, then a slab, then your stands.

Jack in Wilmington
08-11-2015, 05:11 AM
My stands have granite bases and spikes. I then manufactured small cups for the spikes to sit in so I don't damage my wood floors.

tony340
08-11-2015, 07:21 AM
Many thanks to everyone as always, you have helped me in my journey as a budding audiophile so much, thanks!!
Just a thought, how about i blu tack a thinner layer of granite onto the wood floor, then blu tack or use cork between the stands and the granite on the floor?? I have taken into account the tweeter height, it will still be at ear level, so no probs with that.. I doubt the wood stand bases will lie perfectly on the granite or floor for that matter, so some material will have to go in between

Feanor
08-11-2015, 07:59 AM
Many thanks to everyone as always, you have helped me in my journey as a budding audiophile so much, thanks!!
Just a thought, how about i blu tack a thinner layer of granite onto the wood floor, then blu tack or use cork between the stands and the granite on the floor?? I have taken into account the tweeter height, it will still be at ear level, so no probs with that.. I doubt the wood stand bases will lie perfectly on the granite or floor for that matter, so some material will have to go in between

I think that would work for you. A lot of people have used BluTack for the application you describe with good success.

bfalls
08-13-2015, 09:14 AM
Are you sure the problem is with (de)coupling to the floor and not reflections? Is the remainder of the room particularly "live"? Many windows or other hard surfaces?

tony340
08-14-2015, 09:02 PM
That would be the second one haha, the room is quite smalll, the speakers will be facing the bed and i intend to put a rug in front but how about the walls? Some cloth wall hangings perhaps?