Sharp TVs are now Hisense TV [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sharp TVs are now Hisense TV

Smokey
08-09-2015, 09:47 PM
I don’t think this is a good news. Sharp Tv is exiting US market, so Chinese company Hisense has bought out the rights to Sharp's brand and manufacturing plant in Mexico for $23.7 million, and will sell televisions under the Sharp name.

I tried a 40 inch Hisense TV back in January, and that was one the worst TV I seen. So quality of Hisense brand TV under Sharp name remain to be seen.

Sharp had pretty good foot hold in large screen LCD in Us market with quality products such as “Elite” and “Quattron" line LCDs. So Hisense got a big shoes to fill.

This morning, Japanese electronics manufacturer Sharp quietly announced its intentions to exit the U.S. TV market after notable quarterly losses.

Poised to benefit are South Korea's twin electronics giants Samsung and LG, along with California-based Vizio and Chinese manufacturer Hisense.

At this time, it's unclear whether Hisense will continue to invest in Sharp's more eccentric innovations, or will simply continue to produce and sell the company's broadly successful entry-level models.

Hisense Buys Sharp's U.S. TV Business for $23.7 Million - Reviewed.com Televisions (http://televisions.reviewed.com/news/chinas-hisense-buys-sharp-us-tv-business-24-million)

Feanor
08-10-2015, 06:48 AM
I tried a 40 inch Hisense TV back in January, and that was one the worst TV I seen. So quality of Hisense brand TV under Sharp name remain to be seen.

Interesting a few months ago local dealer offered me a Hisense TV but I opted for a Samsung 46" instead. So I guess I'm not sorry I went for the Sammy.

I wonder if dealers get a high markup on these "off-brand" brands? Or is it only that they can offer them at lower prices?

Mr Peabody
08-10-2015, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the info, I hate it when a brand sells their name and if consumers aren't aware......... Samsung seems to be having a slump in quality control with appliances, I hope it doesn't transfer to TV's.

I recently saw a Canadian company known more for pro electronics is starting to put gear out under the Hafler name. I read a review of a headphone amp.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the TV market, seems only a few higher quality names remain while a slew of off brand or re-badged off brands under a name brand. I hate to keep going off topic but I also recently saw Vizio is going public, applying for an IPO (whatever that means). I'm surprised that brand is still doing well with their quality track record. Don't guess people mind through away products anymore.

Feanor
08-10-2015, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the info, I hate it when a brand sells their name and if consumers aren't aware......... Samsung seems to be having a slump in quality control with appliances, I hope it doesn't transfer to TV's.

I recently saw a Canadian company known more for pro electronics is starting to put gear out under the Hafler name. I read a review of a headphone amp.

Ever buy a GE light bulb or a GE cordless phone or TV? Hint: GE makes power stations, not light bulbs, 'phones, or TVs.

Hyfi
08-10-2015, 10:04 AM

It will be interesting to see what happens in the TV market, seems only a few higher quality names remain while a slew of off brand or re-badged off brands under a name brand. I hate to keep going off topic but I also recently saw Vizio is going public, applying for an IPO (whatever that means). I'm surprised that brand is still doing well with their quality track record. Don't guess people mind through away products anymore.

Are you talking about Radial Engineering?

and this site?
Hafler - Perfecting hifidelity audio for over 60 years. (http://www.hafler.com/poweramps.php)

Smokey
08-12-2015, 07:17 PM
Interesting a few months ago local dealer offered me a Hisense TV but I opted for a Samsung 46" instead. So I guess I'm not sorry I went for the Sammy.

I wonder if dealers get a high markup on these "off-brand" brands? Or is it only that they can offer them at lower prices?

I'm guessing it is the latter. The Hisense TV I bought from Wal-Mart was the lowest priced ($230) 40 inch TV they had and it was right in middle of center isle where most traffic is.

So low prices is one of main selling point. It bring a lot of foot business :)

Smokey
08-12-2015, 07:40 PM
It will be interesting to see what happens in the TV market, seems only a few higher quality names remain while a slew of off brand or re-badged off brands under a name brand.

From on going trend, it seem brand name TVs have abandoned lower end market and have concentrated on middle and higher end market. But I am guessing Chinese companies are not far behind in their quest to have share of middle and high end market too with their more upscale TV models.

Feanor
08-13-2015, 04:16 AM
From on going trend, it seem brand name TVs have abandoned lower end market and have concentrated on middle and higher end market. But I am guessing Chinese companies are not far behind in their quest to have share of middle and high end market too with their more upscale TV models.

When I think back to Samsung and then LG from South Korea were new entrants, it seems that the purposefully strove to build their reputation up to compete with "prestige" brands like Panasonic and Sony. By dint of their effort they have pretty much achieved that.

OTOH, e.g. Visio has choose to focus exclusively on the low-end of the market. It's corporate strategy presumably.

Smokey
08-14-2015, 09:41 PM
OTOH, e.g. Visio has choose to focus exclusively on the low-end of the market. It's corporate strategy presumably.

I would say that as a past tense :)

Their strategy was low end, but they recently they have made some in road in middle to high end TV market. Their TVs have been getting a lot of good reveiews from experts lately, so this is their winning strategy to make room for themselves among big boys.

Feanor
08-15-2015, 05:18 AM

I would say that as a past tense :)

Their strategy was low end, but they recently they have made some in road in middle to high end TV market. Their TVs have been getting a lot of good reveiews from experts lately, so this is their winning strategy to make room for themselves among big boys.

I guess you're right. Up-market generally comes with higher margins, and Visio, having achieved low end penetrations, is now tempted grab an up-market share.

I was given to understand that Visio manufactured basically none of their components, instead sourcing from the surplus production of multiple actual fabricators. Going up market will, I'd guess, need more quality control if not the actual manufacture of the final products.