Pioneer SX-770 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer SX-770

thekid
08-02-2015, 04:33 AM
Thought I shake up the dust and tumbleweeds in this forum by posting a somewhat uncommon Pioneer receiver. I believe based on the serial number this one dates from 1970. Extremely clean unit with just a nick in the rear of the wood top and some id number lightly etched in to the top by the original owner. Not a hint of corrosion on the inside just a minimal amount of dust. Will need to replace one of the fuse lamps but other than that it was plug and play ready.

Feanor
08-02-2015, 07:41 AM
That Pioneer SX-777 is a really nice old unit. It's not quite typical of the equipment of the day which was more often "silver" (aluminum-colored). What is typical, though, is

Rotary knobs or toggle switches rather than buttons, (mechanical or electronic)
Analog radio tuning
Inside, very little or no large-scale integration of electronic components.

thekid
08-02-2015, 09:56 AM
That Pioneer SX-777 is a really nice old unit. It's not quite typical of the equipment of the day which was more often "silver" (aluminum-colored). What is typical, though, is

Rotary knobs or toggle switches rather than buttons, (mechanical or electronic)
Analog radio tuning
Inside, very little or no large-scale integration of electronic components.

Yeah it is a bit uncommon for the time which along with the $10 price tag and its excellent condition was why I grabbed it. Have been running it with my Rogers LS3/6's and they match up very well. The Rogers are 16 Ohm and 25 wpc max so they're right in the wheelhouse of the Pioneer.Might have to A/B it with my Sansui 7000 when I get the 7000 back from the shop.

Feanor
08-02-2015, 10:49 AM
That's a sweet find for $10.00. The old '70s receivers are gradually becoming scarcer -- and the high-end ones more expensive.

I love look of the classic receivers; admittedly the silver-faced ones the best, but I didn't own one in the '70s. My first setup consisted of Dynaco's PAT-4, ST-80, and FM-5 plus a Lenco TT and Shure cartridge. I've owned separates ever since, including a couple of integrated amps but never a receiver in my main system. For a brief while I owned a Marantz 2252B but I sold it for lack of room ...

http://www.classicaudio.com/value/mz/2252B.jpg

thekid
08-02-2015, 12:45 PM
That's a sweet find for $10.00. The old '70s receivers are gradually becoming scarcer -- and the high-end ones more expensive.

I love look of the classic receivers; admittedly the silver-faced ones the best, but I didn't own one in the '70s. My first setup consisted of Dynaco's PAT-4, ST-80, and FM-5 plus a Lenco TT and Shure cartridge. I've owned separates ever since, including a couple of integrated amps but never a receiver in my main system. For a brief while I owned a Marantz 2252B but I sold it for lack of room ...

http://www.classicaudio.com/value/mz/2252B.jpg

I own Denon and Adcom separate systems but I do have a soft spot for the vintage receivers. As a lot of my past posts show I went a little overboard with a variety of gear since getting back into this hobby. I really only want to keep one vintage receiver which I thought was going to be the Sansui 7000 which is a kissing cousin to the Sansui 8. I have had a couple of vintage Marantz', Kenwoods, Pioneers and a few others but I just seem to prefer Sansuis.

thekid
02-29-2016, 03:39 PM
Yesterday found a pair of Minimus 7w's with the walnut "cabinets" in great shape so paired it up with the SX-770 so I could listen to the radio in the early morning without waking up the wife. Not spectacular but hard to beat for my $15 cost....... :D