Hey all [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hey all

budding audiophile
07-27-2015, 07:44 AM
Good morning, all

My username says it all. I've always appreciated music, and am currently building a vinyl collection.

Mr Peabody
07-27-2015, 03:32 PM
Welcome. What are you playing that vinyl on?

blackraven
07-29-2015, 11:44 AM
Welcome to AR! Tell us about your gear.

Regards,

Larry

budding audiophile
07-29-2015, 02:52 PM
As of right now, I'm rarely playing records on an all in one type unit that my wife bought me for Christmas a couple of years ago. It's an Innovative Technologies ITVS-750. It's not the greatest, but it's what I got for now. I rarely play on it because I don't want to destroy my meager collection. As far as the stereo goes, I got all of it for free from a co-worker and don't know too much about it. I do know that I lusted after similar set-ups as a teenager.

H/K AVR 70 receiver
H/K 5 disc carousel
Infinity column speakers with integrated subs
Jensen satellite speakers.

I run my TV, blu-ray, CD player, etc. through that system. I had to get a digital to analog converter for the TV and blu-ray, but it does a fine job. Just have to turn the volume up a little higher. I'm currently researching turntables to run through the receiver so I can start to enjoy my vinyl collection through a proper stereo. I'm on a budget so nothing extremely high end. I know it's sacreligious, but I'd have an easier time convincing my wife to spend money one one component instead of a component and a good pre-amp. That's where I am now.

Mr Peabody
08-02-2015, 05:52 PM
The HK receiver should have a DAC built in. I'll have to look the receiver up to see what it has.

The Pro Ject, Debut Carbon which comes with cartridge an dust cover for around $399.00 is a decent turntable for the money. If the AVR don't have the phono stage built in though you'll need one of those.

budding audiophile
08-09-2015, 06:15 AM
I don't think my H/K receiver has a phono pre-amp. There are TV, Laser Disc, Tape 1 (monitor), Tape 2, VCR1, VCR2, and I believe 2 aux inputs.

blackraven
08-14-2015, 02:00 PM
I second the Pro-Ject TT. It is a great budget TT that will respond well to a good cartridge and Phono Preamp. Get the DC version as you will have more cartridge options.

Here is a nice inexpensive phono preamp-

https://emotiva.com/products/pres-and-pros/xps-

It you want a TT and phono pre all in one due to budget constraints, consider-

TN-300 | TEAC (http://www.teac.com/product/tn-300/)

Teac TN300CH wood analog turntable 2 speed - SavingLots.com (http://www.savinglots.com/lotprod.asp?item=TN300CH&gclid=CM30wvPIqccCFQmCaQod0wIKMg)

The price above is a steal. It normally sells for $400.

I have seen this TT in person and it is just beautiful.

If you go this route, you can always add a separate phono preamp later.

Here is another budget TT with built in Phono Pre-

DENON DP-300F Belt Drive Fully Automatic Analog Turntable | Accessories4less (http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/dendp300f/denon-dp-300f-belt-drive-fully-automatic-analog-turntable/1.html)

budding audiophile
08-15-2015, 05:50 AM
That Denon TT was brought to my attention by the fine folks at The Needle Doctor, with whom I've been e-mailing back and forth asking questions. They also suggested the ATLP-120 USB. I've read professional,unbiased reviews on both, and I'm leaning Denon. I'm not sure, though. I may just have to pop into Needle Doctor and look at several.

budding audiophile
08-15-2015, 06:06 AM
I suppose I should also include my music tastes, as that may play a part in any advice given. Lots of Beatles, Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, etc. Also some Neil Diamond, Elvis, Simon & Garfunkel and the like. Basically, my parents raised me on music from their generation, and that's what I listen to now. When they gave me their albums, I was ecstatic, and have also added some of my own.

blackraven
08-15-2015, 09:07 AM
I would give thought to the Teac if you are considering the Denon.

I see that you live here in Minnesota. If you get down to the TC's and want to my high end system, let me know. I have met quite a few people on audio forums that live in MN and have had them over. We all occasionally get together and hear each others systems. We range in age from the late 20's to late 50's.

Larry

budding audiophile
08-15-2015, 11:05 AM
I may have to take you up on that offer. I'm sure that anything you have would blow my humble system away. I've been researching my speakers a bit more, and there are no intergrated subs, but there is plenty of bass for my tastes. Still trying to convince my wife that the all in one record player/recorder/all in one unit, while a wonderful gift (had no stereo equipment when she bought it), will cause serious damage to our albums in short order. I'm currently archiving some albums for my folks, so I'm just recording records that have been well used thus far. I've played my Beatles in Mono boxed set only once through, as well as some of the other new pressings I've bought over the past couple of years. That Teac TT in cherry finish is a beautiful deck. I'm going to do a little more research on that one for sure. What other things are you audio guys/gals into. I have a deep passion for muscle cars, Chevelles in particular.

blackraven
08-15-2015, 01:56 PM
I love old muscle cars as well. I have been thinking about getting a new V8 Mustang. A good friend of mine owns a new Boss 302, awesome car.

I cycle (bicycle) and boat.

If you decide to build a nice budget system, there are more choices available today. For about $800 to 1.5K you can put together a great sounding system.