center speaker to replace onkyo s5500 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : center speaker to replace onkyo s5500

bobbee25
07-23-2015, 11:10 AM
We like the onkyo s5500 system except that some tv dialog isn't clear. I assume that a new center speaker might help Which one is the question. It sits on the stand in front of the tv, so a maximum of 5"
high and a cost below $250

Would the def tech procenter 1000 or the polk TL3 do the job, if so which would be better or is there another one out there I should consider. ?

Mr Peabody
07-23-2015, 06:22 PM
Welcome to AR. I've heard both brands but not those exact models, my guess, for dialog I'd go with Def Tech. My friend was on a budget and picked up the Klipsch Quintet system, which would be all 5 speakers, I was really impressed at how well they sounded with a Marantz home theater receiver. The horns provided excellent clarity without being harsh.

Another thing to consider is once you change your center to another brand your system will no longer be timbre matched. Some people like myself are more sensitive to that than others. If not timbre matched you may notice the sound changing, or sounding different as it pans across your front sound stage. So you may want to consider upgrading all five speakers with same brand/model or at least the front 3.

bobbee25
07-24-2015, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the info.
I will get the def tech procenter 1000 and later on add the tech def promonitor 1000s.
When I do, should I replace the onkyo surround speakers with the pair of onkyo front speakers, they are twice the size.

Mr Peabody
07-24-2015, 12:00 PM
I would, the larger speaker would be an improvement. If your system has auto speaker set up you should run it after each change.

Thanks for the info.
I will get the def tech procenter 1000 and later on add the tech def promonitor 1000s.
When I do, should I replace the onkyo surround speakers with the pair of onkyo front speakers, they are twice the size.