Maranta HD880 speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Maranta HD880 speakers

Ryissa
07-17-2015, 12:51 AM
Hi there,

I have recently picked up a pair of MARANTZ HD880 speakers. They are currently getting refoamed, but otherwise decent shape (were my Dad's originally).

These are the specs I can find on them.
Marantz Model HD880
Image Attribution: 1978 Marantz Brochure
Date: March 10th, 2000
General
Description High Definition Speaker System
Rarity X-Rare
Wood Case Walnut wood veneer
Physical
Width 16
Height 40 1/4
Depth 12
Weight 61 lbs
Speaker
Super-Tweeter Drivers 1, 1 inch LPF dome
Tweeter Drivers 1, 1 1/2 inch wide dipersion LPF dome
Midrange Drivers 1, 5 inch
Woofer Drivers 1, 12 inch
Power Handling Capacity 250 watts integrated program material
Frequency Response 30 Hz to 22 KHz +/- 3 dB
Super-Tweeter Controls Yes
Tweeter Controls Yes
Midrange Controls Yes
Grille Cloth
Sound Pressure Level (SPL) for 1 Watt input at 1 Meter at 1k Hz 90dB
Impedance 8 Ohms
Midrange Crossover 750 Hz
Tweeter Crossover 2.3 KHz
Super Tweeter Crossover 5 KHz

Here is my question.

How grossly underpowered will they be if I stick with my JVC 290 Watt amp? (RX-6000vbk)?

What should I be powering them with?

Thx.

Feanor
07-17-2015, 05:43 AM
Hi, Ryissa, and welcome to AR Forums.

With regard to power requirements for these speakers, your specifications include "power handling capacity" -- in fact this a rather irrelevant spec for the typical in-home use. On the other hand, another, more useful specification which is missing, i.e. "sensitivity", usually expressed in decibels, (dB) at one meter for 2.3 Volts of input, e.g. 89 dB/2.3V @ 1 meter. The lower the number of dB, the more power that is useful.

Its a common mistake among newcomers to audio is to believe that too powerful an amp, i.e. one with maximum power higher than the "power handling capacity" of the speaker, is likely to harm a speaker -- this simply untrue in the typical home environment. Or to look at another way, an amp might be able to deliver tremendous power, say 1000 watt per channel, but it's not what it can deliver but what you actually use the matters.

On the flip side, if an amp has too little power to drive a speaker properly, it can go into "clipping", that is a state of high distortion, and this can definitely damage a speaker. In fact an amp of quite modest power, if it "clips", can damage even a relatively insensitive speaker.

blackraven
07-17-2015, 08:19 AM
You are going to love those speakers. My college roommate had a similar pair of Marantz speakers with a Marantz receiver and it sounded great. You will be fine with that JVC receiver. I drove a pair of Magnepan MMG's with the Rx 8000VBK without any problems. And with a Sensitivity of 90dB the Marantz should be easy to drive with a 20 wpc amp.

I believe that those JVC receivers have circuit protection in them so you don't over drive them. I believe I shut down my JVC once or twice while playing loud before they clipped.

Ryissa
07-17-2015, 08:21 AM
I have to google them to find the specs. This is what I found in terms of specs that mention sensitivity.

Type: 4 way, 4 driver loudspeaker system

Frequency Response: 30Hz to 22kHz

Power Handling: 250W

Crossover Frequency: 750, 2300, 5000Hz

Impedance: 8Ω

Sensitivity: 90dB

Bass: 1 x 305mm

Midrange: 1 x 130mm

Tweeter: 1 x 40mm

Super Tweeter: 1 x 30mm

Dimensions: 406 x 1022 x 305mm

The amp specs (very basic amp, but it is paid for)

100 watts x 2 min. RMS, both channels driven into 8 ohms from 40Hz to 20kHz with no more than 0.8%

THD100 watts x 5 min. (2 Front, 1 Center, 2 Rear speakers) RMS, into 8 ohms, 1kHz, 0.8% THD

If I am almost understanding this. This Amp can (barely) handle these speaker?

It's in a relatively small room so I don't think I'll be pushing the capacity of either speaker or amp too incredibly far. (Until hubby decides he has to blast his OZZY).

blackraven
07-17-2015, 08:26 AM
Your amp will be fine. As I said, you can drive them with a 20 wpc amp. You have to keep in mind that in the 1970's, most receivers were in the 15 to 75 wpc range. Don't pay any attention to the spec's of the speakers.

However, you may want to consider a new amp or receiver that goes lower than 40Hz as you will be missing out on some bass.

Ryissa
07-17-2015, 02:28 PM
Thanks a bunch.

I briefly toyed with selling them, but despite their insane size, I just can't do it. Can't wait to relive dancing in the living room with the sound cranked (what I did when my parents went out and I had permission to touch the stereo).

Called the local repair shop and the guy is like "Lady. It takes a week to get parts". Wish I could invite you guys over to re-cristen them when I lug them home.

Last question. Sub woofer running with these would be overkill I assume.

blackraven
07-17-2015, 08:28 PM
With the right amp, those baby's will put out some nice bass. The JVC VBK series receivers are not known for their bass, but you will have to see how it goes. The JVC is only rated to 40hz, you really want one rated to 20hz. A sub would probably be overkill. But a good sub can't be beat. If you decide get a sub, don't go cheap. You generally get what you pay for. Save the money and buy a better Receiver or integrated amp.

Ryissa
07-25-2015, 10:30 PM
The repair bill had me wincing still (relays needed repairing as well as reforming). I just keep reminding myself that I couldn't even touch this quality of sound in a modern speaker for what it cost to repair them. I'm pretty sure the repair store had a few offers already lined up if I failed to collect them.

Challenge one was getting them in house. Picture skinny 5'5" woman single handedly rigging up a strap and carrying them in house. No wonder my back hurt next day.

So these old beasts are set up and running. Even with the basic JVC they sound very nice. The bass is maybe lacking a tad, but most listeners wouldn't notice. Listening to Sting as I type this and hard not to imagine he's not in room. The upper and mid range is amazing without adjustment.

I'm keeping the covers on due to kid factor. But I'll try to post the one shot I have of covers off.

The other major limiting factor is the layout of the room I have them in. I had to toe them in and I suspect more room between wall and speaker would improve dynamics more (see I've been reading).

So glad I couldn't bring myself to sell them even if hubby thinks I'm crazy ;).

Ryissa
07-25-2015, 10:52 PM
In the photos you can see the before and after condition.

You our can also see my room is less than ideal, but better sound in a less than perfect space beats lousy sound all around.

blackraven
07-26-2015, 03:54 AM
Very nice set up. Now all you need is a vintage Marantz receiver.

Enjoy,

Larry

JoeE SP9
07-26-2015, 05:18 AM
It looks like that woofer on the right needs re-foaming. I would re-foam both left and right speakers. They look to be acoustic suspension. The bass response will change significantly for the better with good foam surrounds.

Ryissa
07-26-2015, 07:07 AM
one of the shots us a before photo. Just got both speakers refoamed.

trinlie
05-25-2020, 09:33 AM
Marantz set up

trinlie
05-25-2020, 09:41 AM
I’ve got a Marantz set up ie. 2252 receiver, Marantz 140 power amp, Marantz HD880 HD 660 and 7000 Speakers covers and badges in great condition. As well a Denon DP 1200 DDturntable, Klipsch heresy birch slant monitor, realistic STA 85 receiver, and a Sherwood STA 901 belt drive turn table.
Can anyone please give me a realistic price I should ask for all as well as individual price for each? I am unsure and not educated enough on what a fair price would be